• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Feeding Times

bmickey89

My doberman just made a yr old February 16th. I currently have him on Victor (ocean fish) however I occasionally alternate between Victor and Purina Pro Plan for sensitive stomach Large Breed Puppy. I feed him the recommended amount on the bag, however I only feed him once a day and occasionally add a raw egg. His vet told me to feed him twice a day and just split the recommended amount but splitting it seems like he's not getting enough. Any suggestions?

but splitting it seems like he's not getting enough. Any suggestions?
If he's too thin, feed him more. Did the vet suggest feeding him twice daily because he's on the thin side? Don't go by what the bag recommends, go by what your dog looks like. If he's just right but still looks hungry, ignore that - you don't want him too fat.

Photos would be helpful if you want feeding advice! Besides, we all love to see new dogs here!

We feed our girls at 10am and 5pm. It just seems to me feeding only once a day means they have to go for 24hrs until the next feeding, so we split it up. If your Vet said to just split the amount between 2 feedings, he may feel your dog is at the right weight. The final decision is up to you on how much to feed and how often!

We have been feeding our dogs twice a day for many years. I first started in order to lower chances of bloat but I feel my dogs do better than once a day. Just my opinion. We have a pointer that cannot keep weight on due to genetics and her activity level and a 18 week old dobie that is getting the same and seems more plump. Soooo, go by what works for your dog weight wise. Have never had overweight dogs. Will be watching our pup as she comes from a line that seems to have a little more weight on them. Vet is not concerned at this point, even though she acts like she is starving. May switch foods in the future... but watching now.

We feed 2x's a day. All those feeding charts are starting amounts. All dogs are different such as activity levels and metabolisms.
Need to go by how your dog looks.

Dogs Body Fat.jpg

Also, there are some studies on Fasting (which I wouldn't do for puppies) your dog 1 day a week. But always supply water.

It varies from dog to dog. We kept Albert on three feedings until he was about 18 months since he was eating his noon meal with gusto. When he wasn't showing as much interest in that meal we discontinued it and increased his morning and evening meal. I know @GennyB kept her boy on three meals all his life because he just did better on three smaller meals.
Our girls all stopped wanting the mid-day meal when they were about a year old so like I said, they all vary.

We feed twice, 'occasionally' 3 times a day - middle of the day is something special like eggs, or ground turkey...small meal. I found that feeding twice helps with the morning "urp" if they throw up bile from an empty stomach. Some dobes have sensitive tummies, and feeding more than once a day helps with that.

We feed at 5:00am and 5:00 pm. About 1 to 1 1/4 cup per feeding. Go buy what they look like not what the bad says.

Yes, twice a day is mostly recommended. I feel if u feed once a day u give too much food at one time it can cause diarrhea or perhaps bloating. More importantly, that's most vet's recommendations.

Back