Example of a Fake Service Dog

Here are examples, by a service dog trainer, of tasks for those with PTSD to keep suspicious strangers away by being a deterrent through illusions. It touches on the issue with the Guy in the video claiming his dog was a protection service dog for his PTSD, which after reading this you can figure out that he was lying through his teeth. His dog was simply out of control.

" Keep Suspicious Strangers Away

A dog is a much better crime deterrent than burglar alarms, extra locks and security lighting according to police statistics. Those who wish to enhance the psychological deterrent effect should consider the dog’s size, color and breed appearance in making a selection. Studies have revealed people are much more afraid of black dogs than light colored ones. By way of example, a large black Labrador Retriever will have the same gentle temperament but look twice as formidable as a yellow Labrador Retriever. A Great Dane is going to be more of a deterrent than a toy poodle.

This segment describes four tasks which could assist a handler to keep suspicious strangers at bay. However, the tasks are only meant to create an illusion. The dog must be rigorously schooled NOT to be protective in these situations even if partner acts fearful. A service dog should only perform these tasks to please his handler and/or earn a treat.

Actual protection training /attack training is ethically prohibited for legitimate service dogs. A service dog should never be allowed to bark AT strangers in public. The following tasks will provide much safer and much more useful kinds of behavior in the long run than having an over protective dog. These tasks offer a non-violent alternative to carrying a weapon for someone coping with the fear of another assault. Useful as a bluff strategy for other kinds of assistance dogs too. Won’t ruin the underlying good natured tolerance for strangers that is the appropriate temperament every assistance dog should exhibit and be tested for prior to any training

Dog is trained to obey the bluff command “Cover Me.” Dog learns to jump up and turn around, standing next to his partner, facing backwards. (It is a Stand-stay obedience exercise with a dog facing in a different direction than usual. A mugger may receive the impression the dog is watching for trouble.)

∙ May also train a dog to turn his head from side to side, while facing people behind you. Taught by using click & treat or verbal “Yes” & treat, rewarding him whenever he turns head to the left. Use the bluff command: “Watch My Back”. Psychologically, with a large dog, it’s a crime deterrent, while partner operates an ATM machine or while quickly unlocking a car or an office door. Dog does not actually do anything more than hold a Stand-stay position, while giving the impression that he is visually scanning the area for possible trouble. After the dog turns his head from side to side, four to six times in a row, reward him, then ask him to repeat it.

∙ Dog rises from a Down-stay position to assume a Stand-stay position next to or in front of his disabled partner. What changes this from a routine obedience exercise to an effective illusion is teaching the dog to spring up quickly when the handler uses a bluff command such as, “On Guard!” To heighten the illusion, the handler should grip the dog’s collar as if the dog needs to be restrained from charging forward.

∙ Dog is taught to “Bark for Help,” on command, or when you snap your fingers, to earn a treat. This vocalizing attracts attention to the team, scaring off a mugger or some other predator, for the last thing a criminal wants is the public’s attention focused on his activities. Teaching the dog to bark enthusiastically, instead of falling silent in eager anticipation of his treat after only two or three barks requires several months of schooling in the home, vehicle and a variety of other locations, before it will be a dependable task."
http://www.iaadp.org/psd_tasks.html

Here are examples, by a service dog trainer, of tasks for those with PTSD to keep suspicious strangers away by being a deterrent through illusions. It touches on the issue with the Guy in the video claiming his dog was a protection service dog for his PTSD, which after reading this you can figure out that he was lying through his teeth. His dog was simply out of control.

" Keep Suspicious Strangers Away

A dog is a much better crime deterrent than burglar alarms, extra locks and security lighting according to police statistics. Those who wish to enhance the psychological deterrent effect should consider the dog’s size, color and breed appearance in making a selection. Studies have revealed people are much more afraid of black dogs than light colored ones. By way of example, a large black Labrador Retriever will have the same gentle temperament but look twice as formidable as a yellow Labrador Retriever. A Great Dane is going to be more of a deterrent than a toy poodle.

This segment describes four tasks which could assist a handler to keep suspicious strangers at bay. However, the tasks are only meant to create an illusion. The dog must be rigorously schooled NOT to be protective in these situations even if partner acts fearful. A service dog should only perform these tasks to please his handler and/or earn a treat.

Actual protection training /attack training is ethically prohibited for legitimate service dogs. A service dog should never be allowed to bark AT strangers in public. The following tasks will provide much safer and much more useful kinds of behavior in the long run than having an over protective dog. These tasks offer a non-violent alternative to carrying a weapon for someone coping with the fear of another assault. Useful as a bluff strategy for other kinds of assistance dogs too. Won’t ruin the underlying good natured tolerance for strangers that is the appropriate temperament every assistance dog should exhibit and be tested for prior to any training

Dog is trained to obey the bluff command “Cover Me.” Dog learns to jump up and turn around, standing next to his partner, facing backwards. (It is a Stand-stay obedience exercise with a dog facing in a different direction than usual. A mugger may receive the impression the dog is watching for trouble.)

∙ May also train a dog to turn his head from side to side, while facing people behind you. Taught by using click & treat or verbal “Yes” & treat, rewarding him whenever he turns head to the left. Use the bluff command: “Watch My Back”. Psychologically, with a large dog, it’s a crime deterrent, while partner operates an ATM machine or while quickly unlocking a car or an office door. Dog does not actually do anything more than hold a Stand-stay position, while giving the impression that he is visually scanning the area for possible trouble. After the dog turns his head from side to side, four to six times in a row, reward him, then ask him to repeat it.

∙ Dog rises from a Down-stay position to assume a Stand-stay position next to or in front of his disabled partner. What changes this from a routine obedience exercise to an effective illusion is teaching the dog to spring up quickly when the handler uses a bluff command such as, “On Guard!” To heighten the illusion, the handler should grip the dog’s collar as if the dog needs to be restrained from charging forward.

∙ Dog is taught to “Bark for Help,” on command, or when you snap your fingers, to earn a treat. This vocalizing attracts attention to the team, scaring off a mugger or some other predator, for the last thing a criminal wants is the public’s attention focused on his activities. Teaching the dog to bark enthusiastically, instead of falling silent in eager anticipation of his treat after only two or three barks requires several months of schooling in the home, vehicle and a variety of other locations, before it will be a dependable task."
http://www.iaadp.org/psd_tasks.html
Thanks to Wendy's bumping this thread, I just found what you provided here, Rits. Cool stuff!

Not to make it too much about Oji here, but:

I do have my Dobe bark on command (Oji being who he is, he does not just bark, he acts aggressive at the same time but I am almost sure it does not mean he is ready to bite anyone).

I have taken, lately, to having him sit next to me facing away from the ATM as I use the machine. I got this idea from a book on protection years ago that showed a woman in nice dress and high heels using and ATM and her Rottweiler was doing this.

The other day I was happy with Oji's natural, untrained reaction to a man walking behind us. He kept looking back quickly every couple seconds. The man was carrying some sort of long article.

The one thing I have never achieved, darn it, is to have my Dobe bare its teeth on command. Trying to do this is actually how I inadvertently taught my first Dobe how to bark on command.

Now, if I give a certain command, my Dobe is expected to truly be aggressive to the person(s) near us which I understand is not part of being a service dog.

Cool stuff!

DISGUSTING!

This just sets all the dogs that have been intensely trained, costing a great deal of money and work to train up for negative public scrutiny.
This pisses me off beyond belief!!
Sitting in a bar drinking, exposing an untrained dog to the elements of people while drinking is just WRONG!!
If her thoughts are of stabbing someone in the heart she needs more than the emotional support of a dog, she needs intense therapy!!!
Why are these companies allowed to issue certification online....oh I forgot....it's all about the money.:machinegun::furious:

I guess because I am a am a "fan" of so many dog pages on FB groups, every single day, almost every other ad on there is about "don't go anywhere without your dog anymore"...some company offering exactly what this lady is talking about.
It is obviously becoming a problem and going to start causing legitimate service dog users problems because last week I was listening to my "ALL SPORTS" radio station, and THEY were talking about it!...One of the hosts shared his experience dealing with very clearly untrained dogs on a plane... What bullshit. Man, stuff like that makes me mad.
Am I wrong in this...? Don't Emotional Support Dogs and Service Dogs differ vastly in their allowed access to public places? I mean, I guess the lines are all so hazy it's just hard to tell. It really sucks that the laws that offer people using Service Dogs some privacy (ie: employees, owners asking questions about specifics) are likely going to have to change because people are dishonest, manipulative pieces of crap.

What's sad is that in both these cases, the individuals involved are clearly unstable. Not violently or dangerously so, though they do qualify for needing some form of mental health support other than the company of their pets.

Sad that cases like these are degrading a system that was initially meant to do good. Not unsurprising, however, as that seems to be the general moral of today's society. Find a loophole and abuse, abuse, abuse!

My client's 'new' girlfriend has a dog that she says is an emotional support dog and she also says it's a Shih Tzu. I have never seen a Shih Tzu with a normal long nose. The dog is fear aggressive, it tried to bite me on 3 different occasions while I was caring for my client's dogs and had to care for it too.

I called her on the dog not being a Shih Tzu, I said it was a mixed breed and any dog used as a support dog should not be a fear biter. I told her, her dog needs training because it is not a stable dog being fear aggressive and will create problems with the other 3 dogs. I couldn't believe she argued that her dog was a Shih Tzu. I pointed to my client's 3 dogs and said "these are purebred Shih Tzu, yours is NOT!"

Sure hope I don't lose my job over this but sorry.....not in my nature to agree with something that is false. This dog needs some training if they expect me to take care of it as well. If it bites me there is going to be a serious come to Jesus meeting!
I cannot stand small or large disrespectful, unruly dogs and one that still pees in the house at 7yrs of age, especially when I have to clean up behind it and care for it.
Sorry about this rant, I could go on as this situation is festering but I will spare you any more of my diatribe, just needed to vent!!

I guess because I am a am a "fan" of so many dog pages on FB groups, every single day, almost every other ad on there is about "don't go anywhere without your dog anymore"...some company offering exactly what this lady is talking about.
It is obviously becoming a problem and going to start causing legitimate service dog users problems because last week I was listening to my "ALL SPORTS" radio station, and THEY were talking about it!...One of the hosts shared his experience dealing with very clearly untrained dogs on a plane... What bullshit. Man, stuff like that makes me mad.
Am I wrong in this...? Don't Emotional Support Dogs and Service Dogs differ vastly in their allowed access to public places? I mean, I guess the lines are all so hazy it's just hard to tell. It really sucks that the laws that offer people using Service Dogs some privacy (ie: employees, owners asking questions about specifics) are likely going to have to change because people are dishonest, manipulative pieces of crap.
Really? These certifications are being pushed through advertising? How blatantly wrong! If someone has a legitimate problem, they will seek out how to get their dog certified – or maybe someone will look into it for them.

Just another example of the modern entitled. "I'm gettin' mine. Screw everybody else."

If I were someone who legitimately needed a service dog (sometimes I wonder) I would not be able to handle how angry this would make me.

Ugh, gross. More and more people only care about themselves lately in this world. Why can't people just go to the dang doctor and get a real doctor's note if they need an ESD that much. Sad thing is, people that do this don't know the difference between an ESD and a SD, then they try to take the dog everywhere with them when that is not how it works. They only get away with it by fooling business owners.

Has Ares passed his public access test?
Sorry I just saw this. It is not a requirement for in the states and is used mostly in Canada. It's also not submitted to anyone officially here. So no Ares hasn't done the public access test because there is no reason for it, could he pass it, absolutely.

Well shoot. Today at Trader Joe's there was a younger guy and a woman – the guy with a bully breed with a service-looking vest on. I say "shoot" because the strongest feeling I had was suspicion. :(

Well shoot. Today at Trader Joe's there was a younger guy and a woman – the guy with a bully breed with a service-looking vest on. I say "shoot" because the strongest feeling I had was suspicion. :(

Yeah, and with these fly-by-night "companies," that will start being the popular feeling of many...SUCKS!

You know, at the risk of sounding like a dog non-liker here, I would rather not have dogs in the food store. Now, if a person truly needs to bring their service dog in there, then that's fine; but now with what appears to be an epidemic of fakery looming, I am not happy about the thought of every Tom, Dick and Harriet's dog of unknown training and cleanliness sniffing and licking the food and possibly lifting legs.

This is copied and pasted from FB just now...same deal, different "organization." Link won't work, but just wanted to give another example of what keeps coming up on FB...I guess I need to "leave" my dog groups so that stuff like this won't keep popping up and pissing me off!!

CertaPet
Sponsored ·

Do you have questions about Emotional Support Animals?

Our FAQ page answers 7 of the most common ESA questions.

Still have some questions? Chat with us on our site or call us at:

...See More

The 7 Most Common Emotional Support Animal Questions
When it comes to Emotional Support Animals there’s no shortage of questions to…
Learn More
CERTAPET.COM

Oh..edit...the links do work...

We could ALL say our dogs are emotional support dogs (hopefully?) But that doesn't mean they should go everywhere with us. That means you go home and cry on their shoulder.

If someone has so little integrity that they would "fake" the need for a service or emotional support dog, I (and I'm not a vindictive person) would like for them to HAVE to walk a mile in the shoes of someone who actually DOES need one. It makes my freaking skin crawl and angers me to no end.

Emotional support dogs are not allowed the same rights as a true service dog. They cant go everywhere with a person, but they can accompany them on an airplane, or live where that breed is not allowed. Emotional support animals need no training but they are not allowed to be in restaurants, or any other building a normal dog can't go. They do however require a legit doctors note to deem the person necessary of needing an emotional support animal.

This link is a lot of info. so I'm only going to post the link.
I think if you read it you will see how some of the companies that provide a certificate for a small fee came to be. IMO, it's not unusual for people to jump at a chance to make some easy money. For example, a public accommodation or facility is not allowed to ask for documentation or proof the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service dog. Perfect opportunity for abuse!
Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals | ADA National Network

Back