DCM Progression

We had a quiet night King slept wright through, he had his early morning walk with Lorraine doesn't enjoy wearing the boot, he had breakfast then straight back to sleep, he has been sleeping most off the day hasn't so far wanted to go for any more walks, I have bathed and treated his paw late morning will do it again about 9pm been trying to leave his protective boot off him since he finds it awkward, he has been eating better today keeping it to small meals his tummy seems to have settled the anti acid tablets appear to help, his toe is very swollen so not surprised it's so painful, couldn't see how long the cut is until the vet trimmed the hair around the edge off the toe, found out the new pain relief tablets are tramadoyle no wonder he is sleeping so much, phoned the vet this morning to query these as the pain relief, she said he needs them and he only has five day supply, we did agree to cut them down to one twice a day instead off three times a day, only going to use the boot for walks and at night so he doesn't bother the wound, difficult to appreciate how swollen his toe on the right paw is from the picture.20210608_145340.jpg

We had a quiet night King slept wright through, he had his early morning walk with Lorraine doesn't enjoy wearing the boot, he had breakfast then straight back to sleep, he has been sleeping most off the day hasn't so far wanted to go for any more walks, I have bathed and treated his paw late morning will do it again about 9pm been trying to leave his protective boot off him since he finds it awkward, he has been eating better today keeping it to small meals his tummy seems to have settled the anti acid tablets appear to help, his toe is very swollen so not surprised it's so painful, couldn't see how long the cut is until the vet trimmed the hair around the edge off the toe, found out the new pain relief tablets are tramadoyle no wonder he is sleeping so much, phoned the vet this morning to query these as the pain relief, she said he needs them and he only has five day supply, we did agree to cut them down to one twice a day instead off three times a day, only going to use the boot for walks and at night so he doesn't bother the wound, difficult to appreciate how swollen his toe on the right paw is from the picture.View attachment 118670
Tramadol is a good medication to use especially if he has been on any anti inflammatory. You cannot mix nsaids (carprofen, Galliprant, meloxicam, etc.) with steroids.
The Tramadol works as an antidepressant and does relax them to allow for healing.
I use it for any pain related problems with my two and it works far better than carprofen (Rimadyl) and Meloxicam, metacam, etc.
It can be given even if the dog is on steroids.
Are the antacids he got famotidine?
We use Sucralfate more than famotidine as it seems to help more with chronic gastric episodes.

Praying for King’s foot to heal quickly.

@Tropicalbri's The anti acids are zitac tabs 200mg (pk30) per tablet he has 1.5 tablets 3 times a day, I only worry about the pain relief tablets because he is spending nearly all day comatose, they told me they are very limited on pain medication due to his heart meds.

We had a quiet night King slept wright through, he had his early morning walk with Lorraine doesn't enjoy wearing the boot, he had breakfast then straight back to sleep, he has been sleeping most off the day hasn't so far wanted to go for any more walks, I have bathed and treated his paw late morning will do it again about 9pm been trying to leave his protective boot off him since he finds it awkward, he has been eating better today keeping it to small meals his tummy seems to have settled the anti acid tablets appear to help, his toe is very swollen so not surprised it's so painful, couldn't see how long the cut is until the vet trimmed the hair around the edge off the toe, found out the new pain relief tablets are tramadoyle no wonder he is sleeping so much, phoned the vet this morning to query these as the pain relief, she said he needs them and he only has five day supply, we did agree to cut them down to one twice a day instead off three times a day, only going to use the boot for walks and at night so he doesn't bother the wound, difficult to appreciate how swollen his toe on the right paw is from the picture.View attachment 118670

Hi Phil. I’m new to this forum so not sure if I’ve posted this in the right place. I’ve been reading the Doberman DCM discussion closely and really appreciated all of your updates about lovely King.

We found out today that our doby Jake has DCM after visiting a cardiologist near Newcastle, we are based in Yorkshire. Jake is 7 years and 9 months, lovely boy, he’s 32kg and shows no signs at all of DCM and we found out only by chance when he was at the vets to treat an anal gland, the vet routinely checked his heart, found it beating irregular and a little fast so referred us to cardiologist who did an ultra sound and also halter 24hrs.

I’d love to hear from you and know more about what you have been doing with King in terms of his meds and diet etc to reach 10 months since diagnosis which is absolutely great, the cardiologist today said 6-12 months so obviously we are quite besides ourselves he’s my best buddy.

thanks a lot,
Matt.

Hi Phil. I’m new to this forum so not sure if I’ve posted this in the right place. I’ve been reading the Doberman DCM discussion closely and really appreciated all of your updates about lovely King.

We found out today that our doby Jake has DCM after visiting a cardiologist near Newcastle, we are based in Yorkshire. Jake is 7 years and 9 months, lovely boy, he’s 32kg and shows no signs at all of DCM and we found out only by chance when he was at the vets to treat an anal gland, the vet routinely checked his heart, found it beating irregular and a little fast so referred us to cardiologist who did an ultra sound and also halter 24hrs.

I’d love to hear from you and know more about what you have been doing with King in terms of his meds and diet etc to reach 10 months since diagnosis which is absolutely great, the cardiologist today said 6-12 months so obviously we are quite besides ourselves he’s my best buddy.

thanks a lot,
Matt.
So sorry you have received such sad news, I remember so well when King was diagnosed with DCM and given under 3months, he hadn't shown any problems previously and in the March had had his yearly medical no problems identified, then on the 16th July he collapsed when we were out for a walk, got him straight to the vet's and was given the news serious heart murmur suspected DCM, we then had the visit to the referral cardiologist and full diagnosis after scans and tests advanced DCM/heart failure, we were numb and found it a struggle to understand, like you he is my constant best buddy I'm with him everyday all day as I'm retired, he has Vetmedin and cardalis for his heart condition they are a must have, they bring other problems as they affect the liver,kidneys and stomach, I was searching for answers and found his forum and was given advice to help King, a member @strykerdobe gave me loads off good advice and help, diet and vitamins with supplements play a big part, it would be easier if you wanted to know what I have found works since your in the UK please call me my number is 07779 919570 will be happy to help you and Jake any way I can.

Poor King, that toe does look swollen. While on holiday, you noticed a mark on his toe pad as well - is this all related?

Poor King, that toe does look swollen. While on holiday, you noticed a mark on his toe pad as well - is this all related?
No unfortunately we don't know what that mark was it disappeared! The injury is where the pad joins the toe at the side almost like a seem, along one side it has split couldn't see it properly until the fur was trimmed away, would imagine its very painful when his weight is put on it.

Yesterday late evening around 7pm King decided he needed a walk think the effects off the tramadole had worn off some, we had a 50mins stroll around the park with a few rest breaks, when we got back and I had washed his paw and applied antiseptic cream and refitted his boot(noticed it was nearly totally worn through crap quality)he settled down and slept through till this morning, Lorraine took him out for his early walk bumped into the Jacks and had a little bit off playtime, had is breakfast plus tramadole then straight to sleep, didn't want a walk or any more food late morning just sleep only disturbed late morning when I cleaned and applied more cream his new foot protective boot had arrived we ordered it yesterday, it fits much better and has more padding for the bottom off his foot with a good grip sole, he had some more food at 1.45pm and then more sleep I'm leaving the boot off as much as possible to let air to the wound, he was awake again at nearly 4.30pm for more food and not long after wanted to go for a walk, we had 58mins in the park steady walking with rest stops I think the new boot suits him better less limping, haven't long got back and he is having another sleep, will wash and cream toe again around 9pm and give him another tramadole to get him through the night. New smart foot wear20210609_112422.jpg

@jazzies mum it is much better for him fits nicely and has a rubberised sole so grips much better, came as a pack of two, it's a Hurtta outback trekking shoe so more robust than the one the vet's supplied us with.

King hasn't had a very good day, he slept through the night which is all ways good wanted his early morning walk but not very far, didn't want any breakfast and hasn't eaten all day, wasn't interested in going for a late morning walk just wanted to lay quietly, he got up at around 1.30pm wanting to go out became clear when I was putting his harness on his tummy was churning, we were out for over 80mins just wandering along the edges off the grass in the park he just wanted to find the special grass to eat, ate loads off grass I was willing him to be sick as I know this helps ease his upset stomach, but no being sick and had one poop was very soft but not the horrible liquid he suffers with, back at home even with the grandchildren being over this afternoon he didn't want to get involved with them as usual, he has just wanted to lay down and be left in peace, his damaged paw pad is starting to look better and his toe is less swollen, because he has been in most off the day I've left his protective boot off still cleaning and applying cream as usual and is still limping but not quite as bad, haven't given him his tramadole so far today as it would likely make his tummy worse with no food in it, have been giving him the anti acid tablets hopping they will help with his tummy, so not great for him today the old one step forward and two back, hope he has a good night and feels better tomorrow.

Very pleased to say King has been so much better today, he wanted some food around 9pm last night we then took care off his paw and he settled back down and slept although the night, this morning he was up and making a fuss to go out with Lorraine had a meet up with some friends and had a long play session running around like a lunatic, was ready for breakfast, after re-cleaning and treating his paw which is looking much better he had some more food and then we went for a late morning walk, we spent almost 90mins walking round the park and lake with three rest breaks he was really enjoying himself meeting people we haven't seen for a while and receiving lots off attention, funny how he was walking so much better until we met someone then all of a sudden that paw had to be held up and a sad look appeared 😀, he had a sleep back at home and was ready for more food at 1.45pm, we had a bit off a play and a cuddle along with a short nap, had more food just after 4pm then wanted another walk, we had 50mins in the park with a couple off rests back home a good drink and is now having another nap, have only been putting his boot on for walks and after washing and applying cream plus overnight, he isn't trying to pull his foot away when treating it anymore and I haven't given him any tramadole today, it's been lovely having him eat properly and want walks he has been looking and behaving so much better, hopefully the worst is passed and he can have a bit off a good run without problems for a while.

Such a roller coaster you guys have been on! But I'm so glad to hear he is feeling his oats again! Good on you King!

We thought King had a peaceful night only to find he had been sick during the night, thank god for ceramic floor tiles, he didn't appear to be bothered made a big fuss for Lorraine to get ready and take him for his walk, met up with some friends and showed no signs off not feeling well, he had nearly an hour out and when he got home was worn out, he didn't want any food but didn't appear to have any tummy issues he layed down and had a sleep, I tried him for some food late morning but he wasn't interested he just wanted to go out for another walk, it's been very hot today so tried to keep him in the shade had lots off rests during a 70mins walk, back at home he now wanted food so not sure why he didn't earlier, two hours later wanted more food he had been having a nap before that, decided I wasn't going to take him out again until it got cooler, he made such a fuss ended up taking him out just after 5pm it was still 23°c at that time, we had a gentle wander through the park for another 57mins got home and he wanted more food so what ever his problem was during the night and this morning had gone away, his paw is looking so much better healing nicely, he doesn't mind at all having it bathed and cream going on, haven't given him any tramadole again today will keep the treatment up until totally sure it's healed, the inside of his protective boot absolutely stinks so will be using the other new one the other one is destined for the bin.

the inside of his protective boot absolutely stinks so will be using the other new one the other one is destined for the bin.
I would wash the boot in a mild detergent, rinse it well and air dry. No need to throw away.
I wash Bacall’s booties frequently and they are still in good shape. I have been using them on her for a few years.

I would wash the boot in a mild detergent, rinse it well and air dry. No need to throw away.
I wash Bacall’s booties frequently and they are still in good shape. I have been using them on her for a few years.
Good idea will do that, the inside is like a furry carpet, think he provided extra padding :p

We got up to two surprises with King this morning, first he had managed to remove his protective boot during the night and in doing so has done a little damage to the base off his dew claw, second he was sick again during the night but hadn't disturbed us, it's been extremely hot today so he got his early morning walk earlier was very quiet on the walk and not very interested in going very far, he didn't want any food when he got home and hasn't been interested in food all day, he wanted to go for another walk midmorning he started off all rush rush then after a short distance maybe 300 yards he needs to rest panting heavily, we didn't stay out very long just 55mins most off that time resting very little walking, he then spent most off the rest off the day resting with short naps and wanting to have cuddles, around 6pm he wanted to go for another walk it was a repeat off the morning so we only had 40mins, we have been trying to entice him to have some food will not touch anything even when trying to hand feed him just turns away, he hasn't eaten normally since our aborted holiday his eating has been erratic only twice since May 28th has he had what was his usual amount off food, his breaths and heart rate have also been a bit all over the place and femoral pulse sometimes almost impossible to find, we are hoping it's related to some very warm weather were having presently mixed with his paw injury, been pleased with the progress with his paw healing but now got the base off his dew claw to deal with, going to try cleaning and applying cream earlier in the evening then put the boot on long enough for the cream to work in then leave it off overnight, don't want to come down in the morning and find he's done more damage to himself, I don't know how to deal with the being sick during the night and then not eating its worse because there doesn't appear to be any issues with his tummy, no diarrhoea not tummy churning, I'm hoping he will want something to eat sometime this evening. Picture off his dew claw20210613_141810.jpg

King decided at just after 9.30pm last night he needed food, he then again just after 10.30pm he needed more food, he did then settle back down for the rest off the night, we were pleased he had exleast eaten something, someone flicked the switch in his brain today we got up to find a very different dog to yesterday, he hadn't been sick during the night and was full off energy, couldn't wait to get out for his early morning walk and when out didn't want to go home met up with a group off his friends so Lorraine let him play, they were out for over an hour and even early morning it was very warm, I got back from the shops to find him sprawled partly on his floor bed fast asleep, he had eaten his breakfast and now totally knackered, around mid morning he was up wanting more food followed by wanting another walk, didn't think he would want much off a walk after his earlier exertions so was surprised to be out in really hot conditions for 70mins even with rest brakes he walked a fair distance, he had a bit off a nap then at 1.30pm was fussing for more food, we had the grandchildren this afternoon and he was back to his old self playing with them and generally being a pest, he had another meal at 4pm and then just after 5pm wanted another walk we spent another hour in the park it had clouded over so as well as being very hot still had become humid, he again walked much further than expected even with two good rest brakes and lots off water he is now sprawling out on the floor having a sleep, his paw is healing nicely and leaving his protective boot off last night seems to have worked out well, it is very difficult to believe this is the same dog from yesterday will just have to put it down to him having a bad day, if he has another meal today it will only be the third time since May 28th, just can't identify any single problem but has been good having him enjoying his day. How I found him after his early morning walk.20210614_094436.jpg

Back