• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Canis Maximus

Vsd1979

Novitiate
Hello everyone. I am new to posting on the forum but have been following for a while. I was on the list for a Doberman puppy but took a detour. I recently bumped into someone who had a Doberman puppy that was not a fit for their home. The dog is 6 months old and the other two dogs they had wet not very tolerant of him. So I decided to adopt him for my family. He is a typical puppy and definitely testing the waters to say the least. The issue I have is in looking at his UKC paperwork I noticed Canis Maximus!!!’ Following this forum for a while I know that this is not a reputable breeder.
What can I do to test the puppy to see what I am facing health wise? Embark?

It is not that I am looking to get rid of the puppy just because of his lineage. I am not going to show him he will just be a family companion , it is my kids first puppy ( 5 and 7 yrs old) and I don’t want to devastate them with a puppy that will be Ill his whole life. They are pouring their heart into him and we’ve only had him for a day. I would look to re-home him to a family without kids that would be better suited to deal wit . It may sound cruel but honestly it is not. It is coming from a good place just hard to express in writing .

Reply Quote

Welcome!

It's actually a tough question you have there.

My first thought is don't be so worried. He is what he is. I kind of doubt he is all that likely to be sickly.

On the other hand, I don't know just how bad Canis Maximus is. I haven't really looked into them. Are they known to produce Dobes that are all that bad and unhealthy? Might you have a Dobe that will be healthy and normal, but is perhaps more likely to be hit with one of the diseases common in the breed at a too-young age? I don't know, 5 years old or something? If things go bad, it just seems to me this would be a more likely scenario than it being just sick its whole life like you are worried about.

Is it a Dobe produced by Canis Maximus, or does that name just show up somewhere in its 4 generation pedigree?

Others on here will have more knowledge on genetic testing, and at what age it can be done. I've never had it done.

But yes, the children are what always make the stakes so high. You say they are pouring themselves into the dog, and it's only been one day. They would be sad if you let him go, but if you're going to let him go they'd be a heck of a lot less sad after a day or three than after a few months.

Not all diseases are genetic but the ones that are can easily be tested for. Embark is who I used, it's easy, just a saliva swab of the cheek - can be done at any time, genetics don't change! As Oji mentioned, do you know if this puppy came from that kennel or just has the name further into the pedigree? Either way, if that kennel is involved there was a lot of bad press about it, and not being an ethical breeder who didn't test breeding stock, and possible inbreeding and false pedigrees, I would say testing is a good idea. Von Willibrands Disease is a deadly disease and can cause bleeding out if the dog ever needed surgery. This can be managed if you know about it, but can be deadly if you don't. There are genes associated with heart disease which is good to know about if your dog comes up showing this genetic factor, but all in all, doesn't guarantee the puppy will or won't develop DCM. Knowledge is power and awareness can be key to your new puppies health, plus it's just interesting! I'm assuming you have no plans to breed this dog, but also be aware that early neutering is associated with more physical problems and most folks here advise waiting until he is at least 18 months old to fully develop his bone structure.

Welcome to the group, we are always happy to answer questions and love to see new puppy pictures!

Love and enjoy him, I wouldn’t waste your time or money on tests That will most likely not tell you much anyway. If your dog is sick take it to the vet otherwise just enjoy him and don’t worry.

His temperament seems to be ok with our kids, wife and I. He is not object aggressive with food or toys. He seems to have an issue with people visitors in the house. He was ok with them outside during the intro but as soon as they came in the house...totally different dog.. constant barking at them and very stand off. I was persistent and towards the end he was ok . I asked my father to come by again tomorrow to make sure the dog knows that my father is part of the pack and ahead of him in it.

I ordered Embark and Vetgen to see what I can find out.
His parents are directly from Canis Maximus so I am concerned. It is sad that people will take advantage of the uninformed and mistreat such beautiful animals.

I am looking into insurance. Nationwide is an an offering through my employers insurance but I am looking into others.
Any input would be helpful . Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

I would try not to worry too much since as stated, not all dogs from certain lines pass things down to the offspring.

We'd love to see some photos!

With any doberman you should always echo and holter, typically recommended now to start at age two. This is the current best way to catch heart issues early, if any, and start medication early.

I don't think there is much I can add to the advice you have already been given, and I think the actions you are taking are the right ones, so only really leaves me to say WELCOME from the South East off the UK, hope you have great enjoyment from your new family member, and would definitely like some pictures.
:welcome:

Welcome!

I understand the concerns you may have for your pups pedigree but as stated, he's in your care now and there is nothing that can be done to change his pedigree. Even if you do the testing and something shows up, I don't think there is a whole heck of a lot that can be done to prevent issues determined already by genetics (with a few exceptions like holter and echo testing to detect DCM early which was mentioned!).

Feed him the best food you can, make sure he is physically and mentally happy, put in the time to train.

Anytime someone can freely hand over their 'breeder purchased' dog, it's a red flag. Neither of our dogs can go to another owner without the input and approval of their breeder and I suspect even if we had a strong candidate, the dogs would be with their breeders while it was sorted out. Even reputable rescues will not permit you to hand off a dog you've rescued; it needs to go back to their program and be re-homed.

Hello everyone. I am new to posting on the forum but have been following for a while. I was on the list for a Doberman puppy but took a detour. I recently bumped into someone who had a Doberman puppy that was not a fit for their home. The dog is 6 months old and the other two dogs they had wet not very tolerant of him. So I decided to adopt him for my family. He is a typical puppy and definitely testing the waters to say the least. The issue I have is in looking at his UKC paperwork I noticed Canis Maximus!!!’ Following this forum for a while I know that this is not a reputable breeder.
What can I do to test the puppy to see what I am facing health wise? Embark?

It is not that I am looking to get rid of the puppy just because of his lineage. I am not going to show him he will just be a family companion , it is my kids first puppy ( 5 and 7 yrs old) and I don’t want to devastate them with a puppy that will be Ill his whole life. They are pouring their heart into him and we’ve only had him for a day. I would look to re-home him to a family without kids that would be better suited to deal wit . It may sound cruel but honestly it is not. It is coming from a good place just hard to express in writing .

Reply Quote
Hi, I read ur post and am interested if the dog is still available. Any info on him (American/ Euro/SA) and where u are located. Thanks.

I had a Dobe from Canis Maximus, he was a Euro stunner complete w/ unholy intense drive. By the time he turned two, I needed two chuckers to work him out; he would drop the ball he was bringing back as I threw the next one 50 yards, so he never had to stop running for at least 40 minutes.

He also died of DCM before he turned 6, preceded by three months of hospice care for him. That was brutal.

I speak from experience when I publicly state Irina Barrett (Canis Maximus owner) is a retromingent dirtbag. I took exceedingly good care of Vaughn, including all kinds of early testing, and when I emailed Irina to tell her Vaughn was positive for DCM by age 2, this was her exact response, "The sire died shortly after we bred to him, the owners didn't notify us about the cause of his death, so it's very important that you let us know".

Not only did Irina pretend to be unaware of what causes Dobes to suddenly drop dead, but she forgot that I met the owner of the (Russian) sire, who was staying w/ Irina when I bought Vaughn. It was very clear they knew one another well, so Irina knew exactly why the sire dropped dead, and of course she neglected to reach out to any owners of that litter to tell them afterwards.

Irina Barrett is a bad person.

On the other hand, were it not for DCM, Vaughn was everything one could hope for in a Euro dobe and more. He was a 95 pound block of muscle with outstanding conformity, he thrived on interaction, and as mentioned he treated his daily workouts like he was competing in a decathlon. He knew when to be friendly, he knew when to be protective, and he was so smart that he knew how to play dumb (and y'all know the patented dobe poker face, blankly staring right into your eyes as if they have no idea what you're talking about...). Vaughn's death was the inexcusable result of a bad person's ghastly breeding program, but his life was fantastic and somebody had to live it with him.

I hope you take good care of your Canis Maximus Dobe, he could very well be healthy and you just might have a diamond from a dirtbag. If you're in the DC area, find Kristina Carmody for training (especially to train you). Kristina is premier.

Here's some photos of the handsomest devilish man, the top one was taken on his first birthday and he hadn't quite grown into his ears yet. RIP Vaughn Von Vaughn, you should still be with us.

Vaughn Handsome.jpg
Vaughn Snow Run.jpg
Sleepy Vaughn & Toy.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0350.JPG

So sorry for ur loss and grief while having to endure the entire ordeal of losing Vaughn. Glad u posted to protect others from her and her kennel.

As for Irina Barrett and Canis Maximus, she was unmasked all the way back in 2013, and she is still at it today.

…I am looking into insurance. Nationwide is an an offering through my employers insurance but I am looking into others.
Any input would be helpful . Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Sorry I can’t give any specific advice re insurers in the USA.

Back in the 80’s I insured my first Dobe incase she knocked someone over & injured them or caused a vehicle accident
when chasing something furry. 5 Dobes later thankfully neither has happened but all except the first have at some point racked up some serious vets bills with injuries and ailments that could have occurred with any large active breed.
Getting insurance for your puppy is a smart move.
With the knowledge that at least half of of the Dobermans on the planet are carriers of at least one of the genes responsible for DCM really makes it a no brainer.

I, myself, have a Canis Maximus Dobie. I had no idea she was so frowned upon and she literally came up as one of the best European Doberman breeders near me when I initially looked her up :(. I personally met her at her kennel in West Virginia and she was very cold but I chalked it up to her culture. Some of her dogs looked unkept but my puppy looked very healthy so it didn’t make sense at the time.

I’m not sure how my dogs litter was docked but his tail (or nub) never grew hair on the end of it. I was going to try keeping him in tact but he was getting way too confrontational with other dogs and people (as you can see me holding him back from one of my relatives in a picture below - but I just turned it into a cute picture of us haha) so I neutered him at 2 years. Other than that, he’s been such a good boy. DeSoto has been raised alongside my son whom he protects and loves to play with. But in general I mostly worry about the potential health issues that may come with him later knowing she’s not a positive reputable breeder.

If anyone has any updates on Irina Barrett’s case, I’d be interested to know!

Attachments

• 3F53E1D5-F455-4628-A211-D0F4CB80C041.jpeg
    3F53E1D5-F455-4628-A211-D0F4CB80C041.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 16
  • F89B70E5-515C-4DA0-AD0D-2067F678E78A.jpeg
    F89B70E5-515C-4DA0-AD0D-2067F678E78A.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 94D713AF-2C58-4051-A2EC-38F713AC8773.jpeg
    94D713AF-2C58-4051-A2EC-38F713AC8773.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2030215A-F8D5-4868-B60A-ABE4DB8F9E7D.jpeg
    2030215A-F8D5-4868-B60A-ABE4DB8F9E7D.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 14
  • D700C0F1-51EE-4AE2-98F6-01B45EEBFEB7.jpeg
    D700C0F1-51EE-4AE2-98F6-01B45EEBFEB7.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 16
Don’t know anything about the breeder but you could always do your own check ups at your vet I would think they all have one of them heart monitors for your dog to have on for like 24hrs.. also how has his mood been since his surgery? Has he been better with other dogs and family bow?

Back