• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

An unexpected outcome.

jazzies mum

Hot Topics Subscriber
Well, it had to happen sooner or later! Jazz has had to have an enforced rest and I dreaded dealing with this. I expected all sorts of mayhem and difficulties but she has proved very tolerant!

Backstory is that she fell while playing with the flirt pole. Not sure if she hurt herself when she fell or she fell because she had some injury already, but I noticed she was not moving as well as usual. Not lame but a bit awkward looking. So a two week break from all fetch, flirtpole and any undue running and jumping later and she still had pain somewhere. Off to the vet and had her properly checked out, xrays the lot! (They needed to use the equine machine for the full body xray. :rofl:) Luckily she has no issues with her spine, hips, elbows or any joints. All legs manipulated with no problems too, so that was a relief! So 5 days of anti inflammatory and strict rest for two weeks. All now seems well and she is having small, easy sessions of fetch but I'm keeping her from anything too intense for a couple of months, just in case.

So here's the thing. Instead of breaking loose into all sorts of mischief she has shown unexpected tolerance. Yes, she has to have a zoomie every now and then, but will easily change to an obedience session with just as much enthusiasm! She hasn't taken to chasing the critters again. In fact she is less worried about chasing them! Stood on the track in front of me and casually watched as a train of 5 wallabies leaped across just in front of us. No word from me needed at all! So while I have been using intense play sessions to keep her tired and happy, she is actually quite content to use her energy to interact on a different level. She comes and asks for some snap commands as a way to use her excess zing, and a way to interact in a way that pleases me. Yes, she has matured into a very easy dog! :love:

If you had told me this was at all possible when she was a 1 yr old I wouldn't have believed you!

Sorry she was hurt and hope it's on the mend. So interesting how things aren't always what we perceive them to be?! How old is Jazz now?

That’s fantastic, that’s it’s nothing serious!

Isn't it awesome that the maturity shows? You expect to deal with all kinds of hell and you throw it out there like a fishing line hoping they will catch to what you actually need and I’ll be damn that they step up and do what you are asking. Then you’re like wow...I can’t believe, well okay, how about doing this and they fricking do it.

Then that’s when you realize/understand that all your hard work was not for naught and it has paid off.

What a great feeling!!

Sorry she was hurt and hope it's on the mend. So interesting how things aren't always what we perceive them to be?! How old is Jazz now?
Jazz is just going on 3 and settled down a lot after turning 2. Still absolutely full of lively energy but it is controllable energy these days. My feeling is that she strained something in her back that would grab her if she moved wrong. Think we've mostly all done something like that at some stage and know what it feels like! My fear was that it was a degenerative problem of some sort as I have made some mistakes through ignorance, ie early spay and puppy food til 6 months. She was also allowed to run, jump and climb to her hearts content from earliest so I am really relieved with the xray findings!
Then that’s when you realize/understand that all your hard work was not for naught and it has paid off.

What a great feeling!!
Absolutely right! And with the trust levels rising, on both sides, I think a new level of dog/human relationship comes along. They were already reading our minds, but now it sort of becomes wordless, effortless. :)

I should just say that Jazz wasn't at all hampered by being hurt and would still go and look yearningly at her chuckit kit no matter what! I think she could lose her feet and STILL want to chase that ball or flirt lure on her stumps. Wasn't sorry for herself at all, even if she'd give a little scream every now and then! Tough dogs these!

even if she'd give a little scream every now and then
these words reminded me of a dog I knew (Borzoi) that had a reaction to his rabies vaccination. Sore in the back and just be lying asleep on his bed and wake up with a scream like in pain. Lasted (on & off) for a few weeks and then it was gone. Did this happen to Jazz within 30 days of a rabies vaccine?

Glad to hear she is okay! Always scary when they get hurt. Im relieved to hear how well she has matured for you! Its always nice to have a dog up for any activity, yet able to be calm and behaved in the house.

I'm glad she's okay but it always worries us when something's not right.
Yes, she has matured into a very easy dog! :love:

If you had told me this was at all possible when she was a 1 yr old I wouldn't have believed you!
That's the thing most puppy owners go through and you trusted that she would get through it and turn into the best dog ever with your guidance and training. That's why I hate to see so many people give up when they hit their terrible teens and surrender them to a rescue when a little patience and training could have turned that around.
Good girl Jazz!

these words reminded me of a dog I knew (Borzoi) that had a reaction to his rabies vaccination. Sore in the back and just be lying asleep on his bed and wake up with a scream like in pain. Lasted (on & off) for a few weeks and then it was gone. Did this happen to Jazz within 30 days of a rabies vaccine?
Luckily we do not have rabies in Australia so that is one vaccine we don't need. :thumbsup2: But yes, that sudden pain reaction without any definite lameness, plus that slight difference in her way of moving had me worried about back or disc problems. Nothing showed on the xrays but as vet said, early disc trouble doesn't always show so I am still being very careful about the games that involve fast stops and direction changes at speed for a couple of months. From personal experience, a bad back isn't always chronic, providing you let it heal!
That's the thing most puppy owners go through and you trusted that she would get through it and turn into the best dog ever with your guidance and training. That's why I hate to see so many people give up when they hit their terrible teens and surrender them to a rescue when a little patience and training could have turned that around.
And this is the reason I like to remind everyone that the puppy stage is only a stage, no matter how difficult it can seem at the time. Especially for those of us who didn't know how very different a Dobe, or Dobe mix, is to train! Jazz taught me as much as I taught her I think, but you have to be flexible when things aren't working. More like raising a thinking and slightly rebellious child who likes to get a reaction out of you. :rolleyes:

More like raising a thinking and slightly rebellious child who likes to get a reaction out of you. :rolleyes:
My Asha (and probably all of our Dobermans) reminds me of this clip from an article about Albert Einstein: "He also had a cheeky rebelliousness toward authority, which led one headmaster to expel him and another to amuse history by saying that he would never amount to much. But these traits helped make him a genius. His cocky contempt for authority led him to question conventional wisdom." LOL, especially the part about cocky contempt for authority! :rofl:

More like raising a thinking and slightly rebellious child who likes to get a reaction out of you.
LOL that's Albert with hubby to a tee. His latest thing is barking at the horse and it always gets hubbies attention so it make him bark more. I told hubby not to acknowledge it and walk out of sight when he does it since Albert is always barking and looking back at you to see if you're paying attention. It worked....

Just to finish with this thread. "Herself" is back to the beautifully athletic and powerful animal that she is. After those first 5 days of painkillers there were no more instances of sudden pain, but I was keeping her as low key as possible. She is now having some intense sessions with the chuckit, but not as often as she asks! :rofl: One really hard session every two or three days, instead of 3 in a day. I've also decided that the flirt pole is out for the time being.

We still go on our nice long walks twice a day with lots of interesting running around and sniffing, with a bit of lizard leaping, chasing going on. It is winter here now and she has grown her marginally thicker coat. When she hops up on me for a bit of lap time she is feeling a bit squishy and plush. Not too big to look at, but the iron hard muscles aren't as tight! We both really need another road trip!

Glad she is on the mend!
Can also give these for anti inflammatory. And can give long term without any side effects. We have been giving these for a couple of years to our 10yr old.

61yVwhPbhAL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Also

81oP39HsPVL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Glad she is on the mend!
Can also give these for anti inflammatory. And can give long term without any side effects. We have been giving these for a couple of years to our 10yr old.

61yVwhPbhAL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Also

81oP39HsPVL._AC_UL320_.jpg
Thankyou! I wouldn't be surprised if we do end up needing long term anti inflammatories in her later years. The 5 day course that the vet prescribed worked wonders and we haven't needed any since. :fingersx: At the moment I am giving her a daily dose of 4Cyte, which is a natural joint support product. And although not wrapping her in cotton wool, (as if you could!), I am being aware that she isn't unbreakable so try to keep the 10/10ths exercise to smaller sessions less often! Like us, it is easy for an injury to happen in the silliest of ways and you just need to get on with enjoying life!

Back