Agility - just one more way to have fun

Beautifully done @Rits & Ripley! Those weaves are coming right along too. I haven't done agility for quite some time now. Trying to narrow down my training to obedience and the reactiveness behavior. I was just getting too sidetracked wanting to do All The Things.

Can't wait to see your dog-training space when you get that done!!!

Those weaves are coming right along too. I
She really can do all 12 but we are in a group class so the 2x2s came out for others that are struggling so we did them with those in a straight line. The newness of the equipment had her ???? Like, "I do what with these?" 😅 Weave girl, weave! Another bit of a back track with her because of that. She normally doesn't look at me so much for help! So you see I just look her line about 6" in front of her nose and let her figure it out on her own.

I was just getting too sidetracked wanting to do All The Things.
Haha same! Introducing ourselves to all the things is fun to get a taste and prep ourselves for when we are ready to focus on it but Rip and I are narrowed down to agility and obedience this year. Would love to do barn hunt and Nosework more but too many things so we will come back to those later. They will be great for her when she's older!

You guys are looking so good out there!

The space we trained in was SMALL and it seems like with only a few strides between each obstacle, any handler errors are super exaggerated; you don't have the space between them to correct.

Is your trainer helping you work with her on forward drive (also a challenge in a smaller space)? It's something that comes with practice and strong verbal cues but I hear you about doing only 2-3 runs/week. It makes for slow progress which is very frustrating...

The good thing is she isn't shutting down when something doesn't go 'right' and that's awesome! uuuuugh I miss playing agility SO MUCH!

Ugh, I should clarify: I do NOT see handler errors in your video! It was always a challenge for me.

Cueing in small spaces is almost like learning dance steps. When we were working on new or complex handling sequences, we would all go out there without dogs and actually practice the foot/arm/shoulder motions to start that muscle memory. If I was even a split second late in communicating (with Rubie, specifically) she would shut down. When we have SPACE, I have more wiggle room to communicate and she's much more tolerant of me :thumbsup:

Just simple things like where she jumps in extension and ends up behind you before she's supposed to go to the tunnel; cueing to jump in collection for an excited puppy is HARD!

I love how she did a down on the A frame! Her weaving was so adorable like what is this? And just like that, she had all of them figured out. I totally recognize the parts where she would go off to sniff - at least that's not just a male thing!

we would all go out there without dogs and actually practice the foot/arm/shoulder motions to start that muscle memory. If I was even a split second late in communicating (with
Oh woops, I didn't even see that you commented since it was the last post on the previous page and then I was quoted on the next, haha. You are fine! I appreciate the feedback. We actually did walk the course but all at the same time so it's a bit hard with everyone right behind you doing the same thing. We walked it for the numbers. Then walk it to see what our dog sees. Then walked it where we would like to cue. Then walked it again for where we will be. My problem is, I really don't know exactly where she will end up just yet so I do one thing in walking the course and she does something different (and I think that's just part of her learning what to do). She usually takes off from a mile away from the jump and jumps big, as I've seen a lot of dobes do. But yeah not enough groundwork yet for me to get a rhythm of where she will be and where I should be and when I need to cue (since she jumps so big it feels like I'm cueing so early but in reality it's not for her). I think it will all come with more time and actual space to work on individual pieces with jumps at home like I do with some of the other foundation skills that don't require much room at all!

Just simple things like where she jumps in extension and ends up behind you before she's supposed to go to the tunnel; cueing to jump in collection for an excited puppy is HARD!
Yep! With a puppy it feels like every practice is a different day lol! So hard to predict her. My trainer said I need to stop assuming she will do one thing and not the right thing. You can hear her (trainer) tell me when to cue her to check, which is her signal word to collect. We have done exercises of sending them over the jump with us right on the other side and they have to drop in beside us and bring that rear over in order to not hit the bar. We've done exercises to wrap the wings (a pinwheel of jumps!) And that was a lot of fun, Ripley loved it!

We have done *some* send outs (forward movement) but not often as it eats up so much space for those so that is probably her weakest area right now. She was doing a lot of handler checking yesterday, more than normal, it really all was triggered with the treat in the hand from our first run because I thought I needed to reward her after a few obstacles like usual, and she was amped to play. She jumps on Dad on their walks at home around the property when he asks for it to play with her and she was trying to get me to do the same. Naughty missy. She was feeling fresh! I didn't correct it any because usually she's distracted from the game and I took it as a very good sign that she wanted to be engaged with me.

I love how she did a down on the A frame!
That's the target work we've done at home with her kuranda bed. She runs forward of me and then is supposed to set her front feet on the floor with her rear still on the platform. You can opt to do contact training like that or only reward on the ground to keep their nose down. If they are a big fast dog you should do contact training because they WILL fly off the obstacle. Little dogs seem to have it easy, they just run full speed and touch the contacts naturally lol. She's translated our DIY at home platform contact training pretty well to the A Frame! We don't have an aframe at home so it's just been a lot of practice at home and then using the same word at class. The second time she tried to target off the side lol so I body blocked her slightly and leaned forward to help her out a little. Then she thought she couldn't move her rear legs from the contact so she stretched to put her front feet on the floor and practically was downing 😂 They are so silly when they try so hard to do it right but maybe goofed up a little.

I totally recognize the parts where she would go off to sniff - at least that's not just a male thing!
Oh for sure isn't a gender thing! She has come a really long way from being distracted like that! She used to run around and jump on the wall to visit people that were there picking up their dogs from daycare (5pm class so ... everyone!), run over to the seats where everyone else is sitting watching inside the ring. Run up to the kenneled dogs... So this is actually super minimal for her 😂. Every week is less and less. Shes been coming right back, gets rewarded and then gets to play on the obstacles which is much more fun and rewarding than sniffing some semi cleaned up dog pee from daycare. 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
Cueing in small spaces is almost like learning dance steps.
Thats what I've said to my agility friends that it feels like dancing. Well, my art skills that I've been gifted have all been put into my hands for translating on paper or canvas and missed my feet entirely. I'm no dancer so this has been "fun" 😆

Thats what I've said to my agility friends that it feels like dancing. Well, my art skills that I've been gifted have all been put into my hands for translating on paper or canvas and missed my feet entirely. I'm no dancer so this has been "fun" 😆

Oh, watching early video's of me... I have what I loving refer to as "floppy fish hands." :rofl: My arm would go in the right direction but my hand would just flop around aimlessly. Talk about mixed signals! They look more deliberate in recent video's haha!

We walked it for the numbers. Then walk it to see what our dog sees. Then walked it where we would like to cue. Then walked it again for where we will be. My problem is, I really don't know exactly where she will end up just yet so I do one thing in walking the course and she does something different (and I think that's just part of her learning what to do). She usually takes off from a mile away from the jump and jumps big, as I've seen a lot of dobes do. But yeah not enough groundwork yet for me to get a rhythm of where she will be and where I should be and when I need to cue (since she jumps so big it feels like I'm cueing so early but in reality it's not for her). I think it will all come with more time and actual space to work on individual pieces with jumps at home like I do with some of the other foundation skills that don't require much room at all!

Walking the courses and coming up with a plan was probably my favorite part of agility! More fun when I had two dogs who ran very differently! And you know what they say... the best laid plans!

Yes, she, like Rubie, loves to jump BIG! Rubie excelled in courses with long lines and no contacts or weave poles. She doesn't want to slow down; she just wants to go go go! UKI Speed Stakes were her JAM. The first time we did a ring rental in a place with SPACE, Rubie was taking like one stride between jumps that were 15ft apart, it seemed :facepalm: I'm excited for you guys to test out a bigger space and really let lose!

We have done *some* send outs (forward movement) but not often as it eats up so much space for those so that is probably her weakest area right now. She was doing a lot of handler checking yesterday, more than normal, it really all was triggered with the treat in the hand from our first run because I thought I needed to reward her after a few obstacles like usual, and she was amped to play. She jumps on Dad on their walks at home around the property when he asks for it to play with her and she was trying to get me to do the same. Naughty missy. She was feeling fresh! I didn't correct it any because usually she's distracted from the game and I took it as a very good sign that she wanted to be engaged with me.

Yes, it definitely is a fine line. "Yes, we can play BUT we need to play this way" without shutting them down. I'm excited for you to get an area set-up at home and to be able to work on stuff outside of class! It does make a huge difference in how fast you advance! Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you :D I may have to go book a ring rental myself, now, haha!

The first time we did a ring rental in a place with SPACE, Rubie was taking like one stride between jumps that were 15ft apart, it seemed
I think you posted a video of that. I replayed it about 5 times in slo-mo, it was breath-taking! I couldn't understand how Rubie quit liking the sport, but you said it was reactiveness? Or do you think it was the tight spaces between obstacles? I can't remember now, but I'll never forget her jumping in that big space taking those jumps like she was flying. Glad you have Fast Cats to let her rip!

I think you posted a video of that. I replayed it about 5 times in slo-mo, it was breath-taking! I couldn't understand how Rubie quit liking the sport, but you said it was reactiveness? Or do you think it was the tight spaces between obstacles? I can't remember now, but I'll never forget her jumping in that big space taking those jumps like she was flying. Glad you have Fast Cats to let her rip!

hahahaha maybe I should resurrect that video?!

Rubie seems to get bored. There is a little bit of trial stress but generally, she flies through novice/beginners competitions but then once we move in to intermediate levels, she's like... I've already jumped the jumps and weaved the poles, I've already found the rats, why do I need to KEEP doing it? Even though every agility course or barn hunt set-up is different and new, I just think she doesn't see the point of it. Pleasing me is not high on her priority list :rolleyes:

Found it! hahahahahahahaha she is like SPPPPPAAAAAACE!!!!! (also apparently before I had video editing on my phone so the last minute is just... the floor?). I think it Rubie is just over 2 years old... A BABY!

For reference, this was our training facility :wideyed:

Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you :D I may have to go book a ring rental myself, now, haha!
Of course! It's fun to talk dog stuff with others, especially training that leads to fun dog sports! Do you ever plan to compete with Moo? or can't because of his leg? I think it'll be a while before we hit a trial. Just having fun learning honestly! I don't feel rushed at all with agility. My instructor said she wouldn't jump Ripley at max until she is 3. If/when I wanted to trial, to do preferred at 18. So many working parts there's plenty to chew on each week so we are both enjoying the process.

We have an agility workshop we are going to in June!! My instructor is hosting Alice Cinotto at her place. I'll include a link to her FB. She has a bunch of public videos of her runs. Obviously going to learn from an extra set of eyes will be great for us both but also good for Ripley too as my instructors building has indoor turf. 4 hour long workshop with 5 others. Super excited to dig in to gain more knowledge! She does a lot of distance handling I'm seeing with having fast BCs so I hope to glean some direction there for our own use.

hahahahahahahaha she is like SPPPPPAAAAAACE!!!!!
Rubie goes ZOOOOOOOOOOM. 😂 Wow so you worked in a really tight space in the beginning! Impressive!! I see what you mean about Rubie not liking it when you have to set her back up to take an obstacle right. She just wants to go faaaast! I heard my instructor talk about this a little with a dog and handler in her intermediate class. He broke his start line stay and then was mad at his handler for not being where she should have been (if he had stayed) so there was a bit of nipping in frustration. Looks like Rubie shuts down a hair when she's frustrated. I laughed at her taking off with the tug and not coming to you to tug. That's so Ripley. 🤦‍♀️

Of course! It's fun to talk dog stuff with others, especially training that leads to fun dog sports! Do you ever plan to compete with Moo? or can't because of his leg? I think it'll be a while before we hit a trial. Just having fun learning honestly! I don't feel rushed at all with agility. My instructor said she wouldn't jump Ripley at max until she is 3. If/when I wanted to trial, to do preferred at 18. So many working parts there's plenty to chew on each week so we are both enjoying the process.

We have an agility workshop we are going to in June!! My instructor is hosting Alice Cinotto at her place. I'll include a link to her FB. She has a bunch of public videos of her runs. Obviously going to learn from an extra set of eyes will be great for us both but also good for Ripley too as my instructors building has indoor turf. 4 hour long workshop with 5 others. Super excited to dig in to gain more knowledge! She does a lot of distance handling I'm seeing with having fast BCs so I hope to glean some direction there for our own use.

Moo and I did compete a few times but not to the point of getting any titles. I'm sure he would have loved to stick with it but part if it is definitely concern about his leg and elbows and the cost $$$. Not gonna lie, what I enjoy about Fast Cat is that we can usually get in an out pretty quick. Agility is a LOT of waiting, I'm sure just like conformation.

And I agree, Rubie started jumping at regular height but I noticed she tired and shut down a lot quicker plus 24" just doesn't seem healthy, long term (on the flip side, it slows down those FAST BCs!). I moved her down to the preferred/veteran/etc. levels and she did much better.

That will be SO FUN!!! And extra eyes are always helpful. As many as you can get! :thumbsup: Alice handles BEAUTIFULLY! It's frustrating none of those runs were Qs though... these dogs!!

Rubie goes ZOOOOOOOOOOM. 😂 Wow so you worked in a really tight space in the beginning! Impressive!! I see what you mean about Rubie not liking it when you have to set her back up to take an obstacle right. She just wants to go faaaast! I heard my instructor talk about this a little with a dog and handler in her intermediate class. He broke his start line stay and then was mad at his handler for not being where she should have been (if he had stayed) so there was a bit of nipping in frustration. Looks like Rubie shuts down a hair when she's frustrated. I laughed at her taking off with the tug and not coming to you to tug. That's so Ripley. 🤦‍♀️

oh, Yes. When they have the drive, they can get quite frustrated! We got to run our trainers BC a few times in class. She would've been a champion several times over but our trainer swears she had depth perception issues so constantly knocked bars. If you were running her and didn't tell her what to do fast enough, she'd let you know she was NOT pleased :rofl: Running other dogs and having someone else run Rip would be a fun challenge in the future, too. It's very different seeing your dog out there and how they respond vs being the one 'in it.' Running other dogs helped me figure out where I was communicating too much or not enough.

Gosh I could talk agility all day :D

Worked on front crosses last night with an obstacle ahead in the dog's path. Ripley ROCKETED forward with two jumps so we cut her down to one to help discourage so much forward energy (for now) in order to learn the signaling of the front cross with me. I'm learning when and where to cue her. She's so fast I have to cue her fast and way sooner than the other dogs... Which is often why I wait so late because I'm envisioning a relaxing dance after watching them 😂. In this small space and her speed, there's no room for error. I say, "break! Ripley, check check" all in half a breath 🤣 It's a miracle I can do all that and remember what foot to move when and where. Sometimes I don't, but it's all part of the learning process! We also worked on teeter with it half way up, the highest she's gone so far as we are slowly increasing it, but decent BANG. Ripley did great! Hubby forgot to record 😮‍💨

I love to watch the lower to medium drive dogs in class, it looks so peaceful and relaxing 😌 It feels like I'm trying to learn how to drive for the first time but starting with an F1 car. 🏎️🔥🔥🔥🔥

Excellent!

When you get the space and control, you'll be glad you have the F1 :)

I'm very interested in your word "Check!" Is it to indicate to her to jump in collection because the next obstacle is not the one right in front of you?

I'm very interested in your word "Check!" Is it to indicate to her to jump in collection
Yep! It's something our instructor has us use (can be any word really) but it's very easy to blurt out multiple times in a short span and distinguishable to the dog with the CHeh and hard K sound. It tells her to collect and immediately turn to me. We have used it for wrapping wings too. Leslie had a good point that wrap wrap wrap is a little harder to get out. 😅

No, that's awesome! I love the range of words I've heard in agility. "Here" is my "check" equivalent. I've heard some people use "wrap" but a "check" or "here" has more range, IMO, which may be bad when you get into the minutia.

AWe never got to the point where a verbal cue trumped what I was actually doing :rofl:

Back