Advice - new 3-month old puppy not pooping

tffny

Hi all,

We just recently got our 3-month old puppy, Enzo, who came from Europe to Canada on Friday. Some things have happened while we've had him and I would really love some advice/guidance on what to do:

- We've been feeding him three times a day, a total of approximately 2 1/4 cups, per feeding guide recommendations on dog food packaging. Is three times a day too much? He came with a bag of food from his breeder - I've been mixing his old food with new food that we have for him, and moistening it a bit with bone broth.
- Enzo does NOT seem to like to do his business outside. The three times we fed him today (we've only had him since Friday night), he only pooped/peed once after his first meal, and then peed intermittently in the house. We take him outside in our fenced yard after every meal - he usually wanders around and then will just sit there and stare at us and paws at the door to go inside. We then try and go on long walks to encourage him to go potty, but nothing happens. Is this normal? Is it because he is in a new environment and perhaps constipated, or is this a bigger issue that we should see a vet for?
- He seems thirsty all the time. I read a bunch of articles on bloat and to not leave fresh water out, or rather, control his water intake by only offering it to him during mealtime. What is an appropriate amount of water for a puppy his age and size?

In case anyone calls me out on this, I do realize his bridge in the photos is crooked and doesn't look right - it's my first time posting ears. I fixed it after I noticed this, and it looks better now.

Any advice is appreciated - he is our first puppy and we are incredibly sleep deprived and frustrated with the amount of pee we've had to clean up in our house, but he is just so cute and loving - it makes it all worth it. I know it will take a lot of time and patience.

Thank you!

263014541_456022206039588_4404007195966154392_n.jpg263700159_1625448617815476_7192315286836463058_n.jpg

He's still a baby who is adjusting. Be consistent with feeding and going outdoors (after sleeping, naps, playing, training, anything).

When you want him to potty, put him on a leash (even if you have a fenced yard), and give him a potty command and wait til he goes. His reward is off leash fun time (if you have a fenced yard).

My Dobe was always leashed because we never had a fenced yard when she was a puppy and was potty trained in no time. My Lab was never leashed for pottying (dumb on our part) because we had a fenced yard when he was a puppy. He would go out and play and run and "forget" to potty. He took forever to potty train!

He's still a baby who is adjusting. Be consistent with feeding and going outdoors (after sleeping, naps, playing, training, anything).

When you want him to potty, put him on a leash (even if you have a fenced yard), and give him a potty command and wait til he goes. His reward is off leash fun time (if you have a fenced yard).

My Dobe was always leashed because we never had a fenced yard when she was a puppy and was potty trained in no time. My Lab was never leashed for pottying (dumb on our part) because we had a fenced yard when he was a puppy. He would go out and play and run and "forget" to potty. He took forever to potty train!
Thank you, I appreciate the advice!

We did let Enzo out on a leash in our yard and then ended up taking it off so he could play and run freely - I'll try leashing him up again per your suggestion and see if that helps. :)

Welcome to the group. Everything that @LifeofRubie said! What I missed initially is playing inside. My puppy would get some crazy playing in, everyone having fun, then she'd calm down and I'd think "oh nice, she's going to go nap". Nope, she'd go pee. So like Rubie said, EVERYthing: sleeping naps, playing, training, anything! It's true! And the leash thing use the word potty or pee pee or whatever, in the day time make a big deal of it when it happens - Good Puppy! Good Job! But at night, when you take him out, on the leash, stand there, no play, no talk, no interactions except maybe the potty command, soft & quiet. When he goes, straight back to the crate, no cooing, no coddling, just back to bed, both of you. Otherwise they learn to wake you up in the middle of the night for playtime or loving instead of to potty. Best of luck, hope to see more pictures and stories of you new pup coming up!

We always keep water available to our dogs even as pups until a certain time in the evening.

We always keep water available to our dogs even as pups until a certain time in the evening.
Have you ever had issues with bloat while doing that? I’m so worried about it but he is constantly licking his empty water bowl. The only time we give him water is when he has his meals (three times a day, might cut down to two because he barely finished his last meal today).

Welcome to the group. Everything that @LifeofRubie said! What I missed initially is playing inside. My puppy would get some crazy playing in, everyone having fun, then she'd calm down and I'd think "oh nice, she's going to go nap". Nope, she'd go pee. So like Rubie said, EVERYthing: sleeping naps, playing, training, anything! It's true! And the leash thing use the word potty or pee pee or whatever, in the day time make a big deal of it when it happens - Good Puppy! Good Job! But at night, when you take him out, on the leash, stand there, no play, no talk, no interactions except maybe the potty command, soft & quiet. When he goes, straight back to the crate, no cooing, no coddling, just back to bed, both of you. Otherwise they learn to wake you up in the middle of the night for playtime or loving instead of to potty. Best of luck, hope to see more pictures and stories of you new pup coming up!
Thank you for the warm welcome!

That is SUCH a great idea, thank you! We’ll try that starting tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

The only time we give him water is when he has his meals (three times a day, might cut down to two because he barely finished his last meal today).
They need water much more often than three times a day. If he is dehydrated that could lead to the poop issues with constipation and even worse, kidney issues. They need water to flush toxins and have healthy cells.

With bloat its more about watching too much water consumption before or after playing really hard. Same with eating before or after heavy exercise. I wait an hour before or after exercise to feed or allow unlimited water. I still allow some water consumption during this time to satisfy thirst. When/if you neuter you could get his stomach tacked to help prevent torsion should bloat happen.

I forgot to mention about water. Asha drank an insane amount of water as a puppy. And I let her have all she wanted whenever she wanted. After about a year or so she drank more like a normal dog. She did take longer to go all night without having to go out to pee, but I just think if a dog is thirsty it shouldn't be denied unless for a really good reason.

I forgot to mention about water. Asha drank an insane amount of water as a puppy. And I let her have all she wanted whenever she wanted. After about a year or so she drank more like a normal dog. She did take longer to go all night without having to go out to pee, but I just think if a dog is thirsty it shouldn't be denied unless for a really good reason.
Thanks @Ravenbird. It's actually insane how much water he drinks. It's good to know this is a pretty common thing with Doberman puppies.

They need water much more often than three times a day. If he is dehydrated that could lead to the poop issues with constipation and even worse, kidney issues. They need water to flush toxins and have healthy cells.

With bloat its more about watching too much water consumption before or after playing really hard. Same with eating before or after heavy exercise. I wait an hour before or after exercise to feed or allow unlimited water. I still allow some water consumption during this time to satisfy thirst. When/if you neuter you could get his stomach tacked to help prevent torsion should bloat happen.
Thank you very much for your advice. I'll make sure to always have fresh water out for him.

So grateful for this forum and community of Doberman owners!

Welcome from Louisiana.

Read this site front to back and ask all the questions you need.

I always leave water down for my two but paid attention to how much they drink at a time. If I felt like they drank ALOT, then they were to stay inside and be calm for awhile. But I usually holler at them when I know we are going outside and I think they’ve had enough for now. When I talk to a wholistic vet friend of mine, her biggest complaint about dry dog food is that it dehydrates your Doberman. Always put water in to soak the kibble and leave water down are her suggestions

Both of mine potty trained ~4months. Don’t know why….I did everything, threw parties outside, leash, very patient and persistent. You just have to stay patient and consistent and make a routine of it. Watch like a hawk, they show a sign then take outside to potty. Over, over, over….he will get it. Ohhh and party outside when he does.

When mine finally got it, they got it and we had zero issues. Through raising and training your pup, one of your biggest issues will be to be able to effectively communicate to your Doberman in a way that they understand. If he is not doing what you want, it’s because he does not understand what you want him to do. That is not his fault, it’s my fault for not explaining in a way he understands. That’s goes for potty, sit, stay, heel, etc….

The only exception to this are the Doberteens, IMO.

A lot of time, patience and energy to put forth to train that dream Doberman. What you put in, is what you will get out.

Good Luck.

Welcome from Louisiana.

Read this site front to back and ask all the questions you need.

I always leave water down for my two but paid attention to how much they drink at a time. If I felt like they drank ALOT, then they were to stay inside and be calm for awhile. But I usually holler at them when I know we are going outside and I think they’ve had enough for now. When I talk to a wholistic vet friend of mine, her biggest complaint about dry dog food is that it dehydrates your Doberman. Always put water in to soak the kibble and leave water down are her suggestions

Both of mine potty trained ~4months. Don’t know why….I did everything, threw parties outside, leash, very patient and persistent. You just have to stay patient and consistent and make a routine of it. Watch like a hawk, they show a sign then take outside to potty. Over, over, over….he will get it. Ohhh and party outside when he does.

When mine finally got it, they got it and we had zero issues. Through raising and training your pup, one of your biggest issues will be to be able to effectively communicate to your Doberman in a way that they understand. If he is not doing what you want, it’s because he does not understand what you want him to do. That is not his fault, it’s my fault for not explaining in a way he understands. That’s goes for potty, sit, stay, heel, etc….

The only exception to this are the Doberteens, IMO.

A lot of time, patience and energy to put forth to train that dream Doberman. What you put in, is what you will get out.

Good Luck.
Thank you so much!

I've been adding bone broth to his kibble to moisten it.

I took your advice and really upped my excitement level every time he went potty outside. He did pretty good today, except I took him to visit his dad at his office today - took him outside as soon as he got home and he peed. Did a little party and gave him a treat. As soon as we got in and we both went upstairs, he decides to poop in my bathroom. He peed 7 times in the house today - I take him outside a LOT. Progress definitely isn't linear, that's for sure.... it's like as soon as we make steps forward, he regresses three steps back.

What do you do when he pottys inside?

I would give a negative sound, sounding very upset, scoop him up and immediately take outside and tell him potty is outside. He needs to know that potty inside the house is not wanted nor acceptable. Now rubbing their nose in it not what I am saying. I strong negative sound will get his attention.

I use the phrase “Go Tee Tee”. And everytime they go outside, I make sure I say that phrase 4-5 times. Now my two will go tee tee outside on command. The consistent use of the phrase triggers a response that they know I want them to use the bathroom.

Just keep at it making it known that inside is not acceptable and outside is a party!

You will get it!!

What do you do when he pottys inside?

I would give a negative sound, sounding very upset, scoop him up and immediately take outside and tell him potty is outside. He needs to know that potty inside the house is not wanted nor acceptable. Now rubbing their nose in it not what I am saying. I strong negative sound will get his attention.

I use the phrase “Go Tee Tee”. And everytime they go outside, I make sure I say that phrase 4-5 times. Now my two will go tee tee outside on command. The consistent use of the phrase triggers a response that they know I want them to use the bathroom.

Just keep at it making it known that inside is not acceptable and outside is a party!

You will get it!!
I do pretty much what you've said - both my partner and I say "NO" very sternly and "potty outside" and take him out to the back yard right away. But he's not getting it and we're both getting really frustrated. He also doesn't seem to like to go outside, it's super weird. I thought it was because of the cold weather so we got him a little coat.

I know it's going to take time and a lot of patience. Thank you, all of you, so much for your kindness and suggestions.

I took your advice and really upped my excitement level every time he went potty outside. He did pretty good today, except I took him to visit his dad at his office today - took him outside as soon as he got home and he peed. Did a little party and gave him a treat. As soon as we got in and we both went upstairs, he decides to poop in my bathroom. He peed 7 times in the house today - I take him outside a LOT. Progress definitely isn't linear, that's for sure.... it's like as soon as we make steps forward, he regresses three steps back.
This does sound frustrating! What @Rits suggested - UTI's in puppies are more common than I realized, so you might get that ruled out by a vet.

But when I read your statement above my first thought was Is this puppy loose in the house all day? Do you have a crate or an X-Pen to put him in when you have your back turned? Most dogs, even as puppies don't want to potty where their bed is. If you leave the room for 3 seconds, pick him up and put him in the crate or pen. If you don't have a crate or pen I highly recommend it for more reasons than just house training! Also when he's in the house keep a leash on and tie him to your belt so you always know where he is and you'll be forced to look at him constantly. The instant he puts his head down to sniff grab him up and out the door.

This does sound frustrating! What @Rits suggested - UTI's in puppies are more common than I realized, so you might get that ruled out by a vet.

But when I read your statement above my first thought was Is this puppy loose in the house all day? Do you have a crate or an X-Pen to put him in when you have your back turned? Most dogs, even as puppies don't want to potty where their bed is. If you leave the room for 3 seconds, pick him up and put him in the crate or pen. If you don't have a crate or pen I highly recommend it for more reasons than just house training! Also when he's in the house keep a leash on and tie him to your belt so you always know where he is and you'll be forced to look at him constantly. The instant he puts his head down to sniff grab him up and out the door.
He has his crate in our bedroom - this is because all the training videos I watched said this is where you should put your puppy's crate.

We don't have a pen for him, but I did have a serious discussion with my partner about getting one last night, with the amount of accidents we had. He is not leashed up in the house. He has a collar on, so when I think he's about to go potty in the house, or he's done eating and I'm ready to take him out, I just hook his leash on - but technically is loose in the house. He follows me everywhere so that's how I keep an eye on him. Usually when he walks off to another area of the house, away from me, I go after him.

Should I have him on a leash at all times, and get a pen for our main area downstairs?

Should I have him on a leash at all times, and get a pen for our main area downstairs?
In my opinion, yes. The leash isn't totally necessary - I didn't use one all the time, and it was more for preventing getting into something she didn't need to be doing more than housebreaking. I did have more pee accidents with this pup than any other I've had, maybe a leash would have helped me with that. And sometimes in the pen she'd pee on the floor next to her little bed. But never in the crate. She was also a huge opera-voiced whiner when contained, so I'm glad she had to learn when she was young. It took months before she stopped vocalizing about being in the pen, but eventually they'll get over it.

Oh my gosh. I know all about the opera-voiced whining. The noises that come out of this little guy when he want attention or when he is sleeping are not normal lol.

I've been taking everyone's advice and he's only peed once in the house today - as soon as I caught him, I took him outside and he finished peeing out there.

Thank you SO much :) I feel like there's hope for him and I know as new Doberman owners, we just have to power through this tough phase and not give up!

Back