5 Month Male Doberman Limping

KitCap

New Member
I have a 5 month old Doberman today and has starting Limping (left Front Leg) I can touch his leg and paw. He does put some weight on it but I do see him limping when walking. He was fine this morning. The vet said to wait a couple of days. Any suggestions what it could be? Is this common?
 
He only weighs 45.4 pounds. He is getting tall but doesn't weigh all that much. Should we rest him to see if it goes away?
 
Absolutely, gonna be hard to hold a Doberman puppy down but try to rest him. Play more mental games to tire him out.

What food is he eating?

Dobermans should be on an All Life Stages kibble diet if eating dry dog food. Some folks feed RAW.

There is a theory out there that a high protein diet can cause Pano. A couple of studies have debunked this but there are still some owners that believe it from experience.

It can come and go, switch legs, and be somewhat unexplainable.

Don’t really remember but I believe that @LifeofRubie and @Kaiser2016 dealt with this.
 
I have a 5 month old Doberman today and has starting Limping (left Front Leg) I can touch his leg and paw. He does put some weight on it but I do see him limping when walking. He was fine this morning. The vet said to wait a couple of days. Any suggestions what it could be? Is this common?

My puppy started bunny hopping when he was a year. He didn't have pan or any discernable injuries. I kept him quiet and isolated from the other dogs and it went away after a month.

Don't hesitate to take him to the vet if you think something's not right. Owners know their dogs best.

Hope it's nothing serious!
 
He just seems to want to lie down at the moment. He will walk on it but if he's sitting his left paw is kinda in the air.
 
My female had it off and on for several months with it changing locations to different limbs.
It’s not uncommon but you should try to limit their jumping and exercise to a minimal amount.

Let us know how the limiting exercise goes for you. :spit:
 
I’m sorry to hear about your pup. I’d just bring him in to the vet and not wait a couple days. We can all make educated guesses and give our opinions but the best thing is the vet.

in the mean time I’d keep him crated for now with breaks to use the restroom and have a comfortable supported pad in his crate.

best of luck.
 
We had it for one episode when we switched to raw for unrelated reasons and it didn’t come back. If it’s pano it can come back until the long bone growth is done. Our vet and breeder suggested pain management because he was literally just laying down on his pillow barely moving which we had never before witnessed.

Is your dog a Euro? I have a theory it’s related to their heavier bone.
 
Same thing with my girl. She just turned 6 months. I checked her paws & toes and nothing in particular caused her to wince.
I watcher her with a little limp and lifting a paw for a day and took her to the vet.
He did some range of motion stuff for her joints and she checked out OK
He said it's likely just growing pains and prescribed Carprofen which seems to work. After a day she's running around again
and the limp seems to have passed.
 
Our lab had an issue with limping when he was 6mos or so. We did x-rays, rest, pain meds, even eventually a CT scan (NOT cheap). The CT scan showed what x-rays didn't: a broken and mostly healed sesamoid bone in his foot. One of those weird things that happened from normal backyard romping. They did discover he may have minor dysplasia (what lab doesn't) so we are being proactive for that.

Glad to hear he's doing better! Rest is hard for puppies but usually isn't the best thing for them.
 

Back
Top