• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

TWO failed Holter Monitors

Do you have reason to believe he's suffering from heart issues?

I hold the unpopular opinion that Holters are all but useless as a proactive diagnostic, and that seems to be what vets are saying. They're used in research, and they're used to pin-down a diagnosis if there are symptoms, such as dizziness, syncope, fatigue, and that sort of thing causing concern.

Look at human medicine. Heart disease is our leading cause of death, too. If there was proactive diagnostic value in Holters, would it not have risen to the same level as getting colonoscopy screenings and such? But yet, that's not a thing.

If there are a substantial numbers of sudden death cases being avoided by taking a 24 hour analysis of cardiac electrical activity once a year or whatever, then I'd like to be pointed to research which indicates that is a thing. I just haven't seen anything indicating proactive Holters have this kind of value.
Early detection can slow the progress of the disease, improve clinical signs, and increase longevity, thus saving lives!! Holters used in conjunction with echocardiograms are not useless and I'm honestly shocked you are suggesting as such. The alternative is to do nothing and wait for symptoms which is often too late, especially when some drop dead with no symptoms.

Early detection can slow the progress of the disease, improve clinical signs, and increase longevity, thus saving lives!! Holters used in conjunction with echocardiograms are not useless and I'm honestly shocked you are suggesting as such. The alternative is to do nothing and wait for symptoms which is often too late, especially when some drop dead with no symptoms.
I have no questions about holters if you plan on breeding. But how much does detection and a positive diagnosis. Affect the eventual outcome to the life of your dog. I’m talking about veterinary studies not anecdotal stories of someone’s personal experience of not taking into account all the variables.
Does early detection of a 2 year old prolong their life by 6 months or 6 years+. Genuine question being posed here. I know there’s a lot of other factors that would determine a dog’s longevity. But just a general span of how much you’re extending the dogs life possibly by doing a holter? I’m not trying to be a grifter in anyway just curious.

I've looked through a lot of veterinary recommendations and research, and don't see a whole lot to support this approach unless a dog is known to be at elevated risk due to familial history. Most of what I see is that Holters are useful to diagnose the underlying issue when specific types of clinical symptoms occur in a dog that would lead to suspicions that there's a periodic cardiac arrhythmia occurring.

Here's a good example of the research I'm referring to, I bookmarked it when I first saw it because I found it interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4913570/

The gist of it seems to be that heart enlargement is the biggest risk factor, and the only one found to be statistically significant for predicting the likelihood of a dog dying of SD. That's observed through Echoes. Finding incidences of unexplained VTach from a Holter could be a somewhat useful indicator of DCM in dogs that don't have enlarged hearts, but it wasn't found to be a statistically-significant indicator of a Doberman experiencing SD. I found it interesting that the VPCs that everyone is so worried about are specifically discounted when it comes to predicting SD in that study.

Do I think Holter testing is probably beneficial if there are clinical symptoms or a concerning echo? Absolutely, Holter has proven benefit in determining if medical interventions are effective and how the disease is progressing.

Do I think perhaps a bit more diligence is due when an individual animal is likely to be used to produce a significant amount of offspring? Sure, it can't hurt, but probably won't help a whole lot unless the pedigree research and familial history indicates there's a substantial risk of SD without the obvious cardiac enlargment that more often ends with congestive heart failure.

It just seems that echocardiography that visualizes the heart's function, especially as it decreases in function over the years, is way more valuable as a proactive diagnostic, and the emphasis should be on that.

I have no questions about holters if you plan on breeding. But how much does detection and a positive diagnosis. Affect the eventual outcome to the life of your dog. I’m talking about veterinary studies not anecdotal stories of someone’s personal experience of not taking into account all the variables.
Does early detection of a 2 year old prolong their life by 6 months or 6 years+. Genuine question being posed here. I know there’s a lot of other factors that would determine a dog’s longevity. But just a general span of how much you’re extending the dogs life possibly by doing a holter? I’m not trying to be a grifter in anyway just curious.

It depends on the severity. There are medications that can slow progression of DCM, but the prognosis after any confirmed diagnosis of DCM is anywhere from a couple of weeks from when there's onset of clinical symptoms of CHF, to a couple of years, if pre-clinical diagnosis of DCM catches it in its incipient stages.

I don't think it's likely the diags will find anything in a 2-year-old, but possible if it's really severe. That's more to set a baseline of normal for the individual dog, to monitor the rate at which the heart is enlarging and losing its pumping efficacy over subsequent years.

Would an extra couple of years mean a world of difference? Yeah. Would it still be kind of hellish with that iminent loss hanging over your head like a Sword of Damocles for so many months? Yeah.

I didn't realize PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contraction) was such a big deal in dobes. I have them. They occur less and less frequently since I have changed my eating habits and lost weight (thank you Flint!). I used to have them a few times a day. Now I have them once a month or two. Is there any correlation between overweight dobes and PVC's?

I hold the unpopular opinion that Holters are all but useless as a proactive diagnostic, and that seems to be what vets are saying.
I disagree with you on this.
"All but useless?" It measures abnormal electrical activity in the heart. How is that useless to know? If you have a 3 year old dog with 100+ abnormal heartbeats with doubles and triples but the Echo shows normal size heart, how is that useless? Breed it anyway because everything else is OK? The Echo measures one thing, the Holter measures another. A clear colonoscopy doesn't mean your liver isn't shot.

We have TONS to learn about this horrible disease and the more we learn about what dogs are looking like on tests like these before they develop DCM or before they drop dead of sudden death, that can be applied to the knowledge base. We will never be able to beat this disease without learning more and without using this knowledge to try avoid breeding dogs with signs of the disease developing since it is heritable.

Look at human medicine. Heart disease is our leading cause of death, too. If there was proactive diagnostic value in Holters, would it not have risen to the same level as getting colonoscopy screenings and such? But yet, that's not a thing.
You are comparing apples and oranges. Doberman DCM is almost entirely a genetic, inherited disease. Although DCM in humans does have some hereditary factors, it is mostly caused by lifestyle choices. How many of these preventatives can I use for my dog??? The average age for a first heart attack in a human is over 65. A 7 year old dog is thought to be equivalent to ~ 47 in human years. DCM strikes commonly in dogs under 7, especially the Euro dogs have countless dying before 4 years of age (think about a 35 year old human). The best preventions for humans is lifestyle changes because THAT is the biggest cause of it in humans. From the Mayo Clinic:

Healthy lifestyle habits can help prevent or reduce complications of dilated cardiomyopathy. Try these heart-smart strategies:

• Avoid or limit alcohol.
  • Don't smoke.
  • Don't use cocaine or other illegal drugs.
  • Eat a healthy diet that is low in salt (sodium).
  • Get enough sleep and rest.
  • Get regular exercise.
  • Maintain a healthy weight.
  • Manage stress.

But how much does detection and a positive diagnosis. Affect the eventual outcome to the life of your dog. I’m talking about veterinary studies not anecdotal stories of someone’s personal experience of not taking into account all the variables.
I don't think there are enough studies to have numbers or "proof" of saving years or months.

I think of it as recommended for Doberman owners because they are "at risk", and knowing earlier gives you more options. Think of the many tests advised for humans to monitor their health, just to know where you stand. A yearly normal expectation includes blood pressure, cholesterol readings, blood sugar, evaluation of any previous tests that have provided a "base-line" so the changes can be seen. If you have borderline high blood pressure or your blood sugar is tipping into diabetes stage you can at least be aware of the medications that may help and you have a choice to consider those.

I didn't realize PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contraction) was such a big deal in dobes. I have them. They occur less and less frequently since I have changed my eating habits and lost weight (thank you Flint!). I used to have them a few times a day. Now I have them once a month or two. Is there any correlation between overweight dobes and PVC's?

Again, from Mayo Clinic, referring to human PVC's:
Having frequent premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) or certain patterns of them might increase the risk of developing irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias) or weakening of the heart muscle (cardiomyopathy).

Rarely, when accompanied by heart disease, frequent premature contractions can lead to chaotic, dangerous heart rhythms and possibly sudden cardiac death.

This is exactly what a Holter is for. In humans and dogs both, a handful of PVCs is not of concern. Over certain numbers or in certain patterns, it can indicate a risk of developing problems. If you know you (or your dog) has had zero or 5 or 10 in 24 hours and the next year you have 150, that is information to address.

Would an extra couple of years mean a world of difference? Yeah. Would it still be kind of hellish with that iminent loss hanging over your head like a Sword of Damocles for so many months? Yeah
It's 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. A personal, non-breeding companion dog without DCM positive close relatives? I don't push for these people to test if they don't want to. I will not every buy from a breeder who doesn't do both Holter & Echo yearly, but as you say even with best results showing healthy hearts, my girls sire died at 7 of sudden death. When it hits close to home - and the numbers are showing 50% of Dobermans will have this disease should be close enough to home for every one of us - you really wake up and want to find answers on prevention.

It just seems that echocardiography that visualizes the heart's function, especially as it decreases in function over the years, is way more valuable as a proactive diagnostic, and the emphasis should be on that.

The echo shows heart enlargement. The holter shows electrical issues from the heart. You cannot say one is more valuable than the other as they show two different things, both related to DCM. If anything, holter often picks up issues before anything is ever seen on an echo. Waiting until there are symptoms is often too late to treat or add much time to the life of your dog.

If annual health testing is too costly for the average companion owner, then it is recommended to at least do the NT-proBNP blood test that detects a hormone that is released into the blood when the heart is under stress.

I disagree with you on this.
"All but useless?" It measures abnormal electrical activity in the heart. How is that useless to know? If you have a 3 year old dog with 100+ abnormal heartbeats with doubles and triples but the Echo shows normal size heart, how is that useless? Breed it anyway because everything else is OK? The Echo measures one thing, the Holter measures another. A clear colonoscopy doesn't mean your liver isn't shot.

The whole issue with largely pointless diagnostics is that they're unlikely to find anything. Statistically speaking, what percentage of the time does a proactive Holter actually identify a concerning arrhytmia in a Doberman with an otherwise normal-appearing heart? That's what I'm wanting to see, it's a seemingly simple piece of resarch I'm not seeing anywhere. Everything is so vague, I want demonstrable clinical proof that there's value in proactive Holters in the general Doberman population.

There's plenty of research that says 48-hour holters have substantially more value than the standard 24-hour Holters. Of even more value would be a continuous, permanent Holter, but in reality, what we have is a brief snapshot and hopes & dreams of maybe finding a subtle indication that there might be a serious, chronic arrhythmia based on 24 hours of heart rhythm monitoring.

If, at some point, a relatively affordable heart implant monitor was made available that was like a permanent Holter that sent data to a smart collar, would I be interested? Absolutely.

There's also an interesting remark in the paper that implantable defibrilator devices may also produce meaningful survivability rates for a period of time in a dog diagnosed with DCM who are at risk of SCD (which is the more standard abbreviation, I don't know why Dobe folks often use just "SD").

You are comparing apples and oranges. Doberman DCM is almost entirely a genetic, inherited disease. Although DCM in humans does have some hereditary factors, it is mostly caused by lifestyle choices. How many of these preventatives can I use for my dog??? The average age for a first heart attack in a human is over 65. A 7 year old dog is thought to be equivalent to ~ 47 in human years. DCM strikes commonly in dogs under 7, especially the Euro dogs have countless dying before 4 years of age (think about a 35 year old human). The best preventions for humans is lifestyle changes because THAT is the biggest cause of it in humans.

Except I'm not-- we know a great deal about the disease and how to treat it. The paper I link discusses many different treatments for DCM and how much they may prolong lives of dogs receiving the treatments. Most of those medications listed are used in humans with heart issues as well.

Some of the pathology is different, in that a lot of human CHF is related to loss of aterial elasticity and constriction, which forces the heart muscle to work harder, and it gets damaged & weaker. This is obviously not a risk factor in Dobermans, and yes, it affects humans later in life & is due to poor lifestyle choices a lot of the time.

CHF is not SCD. The pathology can be related because, eventually, cardiac arrhytmia shows-up in an enlarged, failing heart, but generally not enough to cause random SCD in people with moderately healthy lifestyles and few comorbidities.

Genetic human DCM and associated arrhymias are quite similar to the corresponding condition in Dobes, which is what tends to cause SCD with normal-sized heart muscles in both species. That's what Holters are about identifying. If a dog or human experiences syncope, that's a prime indications that a Holter may be useful if there's not another obvious cause.

The genetic basis really all does come down to the same stuff. As has been discussed many times, "DCM1" is just a human genetic marker for the PDK4 mutation that also had an established coincidence relationship with DCM in humans, and was found to be a statistically-significant coincidence with DCM in Dobes in the NA cohort as well. Muers and her team were not starting from scratch, they started from human medicine and were throwing stuff at the wall using educated guesses and hoping something would stick. Researchers have been trying to establish a direct correlation between the PDK4 mutation and identifiable degradation in the heart muscle fibers that might actually prove causation of DCM for some cases, but they have precisely nothing except for there sometimes being a strong coincidence at this time.

Anyway, I don't think you reviewed the research I linked, it's pretty clear what they found, and it agrees with the general practical application for Holter testing in both humans and dogs, with the sole exception of suggesting there's possible early diagnostic value in dogs with familial history of SCD, but again, they found that VTach seems to matter the most and the VPC/PCVs aren't really that relevant.

This actually does make sense, because VTach often leads to VFib in humans, which typically results in SCD. That's often what defibrilator devices attempt to reset by hitting the heart with enough of a shock to stop it momentarily in hopes it can be restarted with a functional rhythm.

Again, from Mayo Clinic, referring to human PVC's:
Having frequent premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) or certain patterns of them might increase the risk of developing irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias) or weakening of the heart muscle (cardiomyopathy).

Rarely, when accompanied by heart disease, frequent premature contractions can lead to chaotic, dangerous heart rhythms and possibly sudden cardiac death.

This is exactly what a Holter is for. In humans and dogs both, a handful of PVCs is not of concern. Over certain numbers or in certain patterns, it can indicate a risk of developing problems. If you know you (or your dog) has had zero or 5 or 10 in 24 hours and the next year you have 150, that is information to address.

I'm not saying that's incorrect information or wrong-- I'm saying it's apparently so rare as to be a pointless thing to look for under normal circumstances. Again, CHF and SCD are different things. There's a much lower risk of SCD across the board, both in humans and in dogs. That's why proactive Holters aren't performed in humans unless there's an indication calling for one, such as syncope or familial history.

It's 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. A personal, non-breeding companion dog without DCM positive close relatives? I don't push for these people to test if they don't want to. I will not every buy from a breeder who doesn't do both Holter & Echo yearly, but as you say even with best results showing healthy hearts, my girls sire died at 7 of sudden death. When it hits close to home - and the numbers are showing 50% of Dobermans will have this disease should be close enough to home for every one of us - you really wake up and want to find answers on prevention.

To offer a clarification, 50% or so of Dobes die of some form of DCM. It's maybe somewhere around half of that number who are at high risk of SCD. It's a much, much lower number who are at risk of SCD without exhibiting other clinical signs of DCM, such as an enlarged heart as seen in an Echosound.

So, at what percentage does a not-cheap diagnostic that's a bit of a hassle, such as a Holter, make sense? There is a good bit of statistical interpolation in the study I linked, since they were analyzing and ranking risk factors, but I think we're talking about single-digit percentages of Dobes in which a proactive Holter might catch an indication in the form of VTach episodes in dogs with hearts that appear to have normal size & function as seen with an Echo.

That's why I say it's kind of pointless.

I'd like to see research into:

1) The percentage of dogs in which a proactive Holter identifies an elevated SCD risk before heart enlargement is seen in an Echo.
2) The typical timeframe that the Holter identifies the elevated SCD risk in advance of it becoming apparent in an Echo.
3) The degree of increased risk of SCD in Dobes with familial history of SCD, how effective Holters are with identifying that specific condition, and how long in advance they're effective (since it's likely to be a substantially higher benefit over the general population).

I think these things are important in targeting diagnostics for maxium benefit and not just wasting effort & money. For example, if the typical advance notice a Holter gives over an Echo is a couple of months at best, then it's probably not at all valuable as a proactive diagnostic.

If it can give a year or more advance notice in targeted cases, that's absolutely huge, since, as the paper mentioned, implantable defibrilators can make a difference in survivability under arrhytmia which typically cause SCD, and beginning treatment to slow physical enlargement of the heart before it's even noticeable may also stave-off CHF substantially longer.

Again, I believe Echocardiography has the greatest proactive diagnostic benefit across all Dobes, which has had its value demonstrated again and again, including in that study I linked, and everyone who owns Dobes should strongly consider them regularly.

In your girl's case, yes, you should absolutely have heightened vigilance if her sire died of SCD-- that's the familial history factor which raises concerns and is an indication that there would be value in a proactive Holter for her and any half-siblings from that sire, especially any who may be bred at some point.

The echo shows heart enlargement. The holter shows electrical issues from the heart. You cannot say one is more valuable than the other as they show two different things, both related to DCM. If anything, holter often picks up issues before anything is ever seen on an echo. Waiting until there are symptoms is often too late to treat or add much time to the life of your dog.

If annual health testing is too costly for the average companion owner, then it is recommended to at least do the NT-proBNP blood test that detects a hormone that is released into the blood when the heart is under stress.

I can absolutely make that statement with a high level of confidence, because the research points to it.

My more detailed explanation above, and the additional research I want to see, would probably yield conclusive results in the value of proactive Holter monitoring.

In a much more concise nutshell, though, we're talking about a few different, but somewhat related conditions.

There's SCD in a heart that appears normal, which has a very small chance of occurring out of the blue. This form is what is associated with cardiac arrhythmia, namely spontaneous VTach episodes, and what a proactive Holter could catch first.

There's CHF, which is the end stage of heart muscle enlargement as a result of DCM. Death comes of wasting-away, pulmonary edema, SCD, or other complications of an ineffective heart muscle and the resulting poor perfusion.

And yes, there's an elevated risk of SCD as a complication of CHF, because arrhytmia is often a sign of a failing compensatory mechanism when the heart is unable to pump blood effectively, and a heart that is physiologically damaged and not transmitting electrical activity appropriately.

As the study I linked discussed, physical enlargment of the heart is the primary indicator of a clinical DCM diagnosis across the board. This observation absolutely calls for some Holter monitoring to evaluate the risk of SCD to choose an appropriate course of treatment.

I think the error you're making is that you're assuming roughly equivalent and independent efficacy of each diagnostic "because they look at different things," and that discounts these relationships between the complications of DCM, namely the relative prevalence of SCD in a normal heart as compared to risk of SCD & progressing CHF in a diseased heart.

The research just doesn't seem to be there to indicate that the prevalence of SCD occurring with a normal heart is high enough to warrant proactive Holter diagnostics, but if you have something based on solid research, I'm more than willing to consider its impact and possibly re-evaluate my position.

Put Blazes holter on today. I always shave the area but only so the probs Sri k better. Don’t have a holter jacket which I am sure would be nice and much easier. But just use vet wrap and then put his gooby fleece sweater over it. IMG_8798.jpeg239A14C8-0E4A-4E31-8BA6-B65E2643B386.jpeg

I don't think you reviewed the research I linked
Correct, I saw how long it was and not "skim-able", so I saved it for when I have more time.

I am not an expert, I just observe what is in front of me. My last Doberman before the one I have now was born in 1991 and died 11 years later. She was fully fit and healthy with no problems at all. She died over night in her sleep, apparently with little or no struggle. So, I'd say SCD, with no signs of DCM or CHF. She was blessed with a long full life and honestly think it was the best way to go, if we could pick and choose. Recently read about another Doberman, fit and active in sports, had normal echo and Holter from the previous year, done so for breeding, died from SCD. I think he was 6 or 7. This was not a dog with an enlarged heart, coughing, fluid build up, lethargy, etc. Perhaps an Echo or Holter would have shown something if it had been done within a month or two, but we'll never know. I guess I'm saying that it's almost a different disease? If the heart is not enlarged or at least not to the point of causing any visible distress physically - then it seems like an electrical problem, not a heart enlargement? So in my mind, right or wrong, I'm looking at Holters as a significant way to keep a watch on things. I, like you, would like many more studies, but the money isn't there for it.

I’m at a loss here. kanda had his EKG two weeks ago and his first Holter monitor went on the same day. Cardiologist hooked it all up and sent him home. I recorded his activity in a diary for 24hrs and brought the cardio kit back the same day it finished. A few days later I get a call that it didn’t record any data, so we go back in a few days later for a second attempt. Different device this time, different brand. Did the whole 24hrs all over again and returned the kit and today I get an email from the cardiologist saying when she went to read the digital data it came up with an error that it needed at least 2 mins of data to read. Meaning…it probably also didn’t record anything.

I’m at a loss here. The cardiologist is going to talk to the company the monitor is from on Monday to see if the data is there or not. If it’s not she offered three options.

- don’t do the holter anymore
- do the Holter but with a full chest wrap
- use a zio patch, which is a device for humans but we can try it on him.

I’m super stressed about this. Kanda hates going to the vet. It’s a big stress to him every time. And we’ve now removed adhesive bandages from his shaved spot twice now and each time it’s been painful, stressful and time consuming because he gets very agitated and scared and won’t let me spray it with easy off. We need to have this test done. What would you do? I dread the full chest wrap considering how awful it’s been just trying to get off the adhesives we have done already. I’ve never heard of anyone using a zio patch. And I don’t see not doing the Holter at all as an option.

What could be going wrong?? For reference I’ve attached some images of the shaved area where they attach the leads
Just an update on this, we have decided to do a third attempt. We are going in this Wednesday. They’ll hook him up and have us wait 20 minutes there and then they’ll re check the device to make sure it’s recording. If it’s not they’ll troubleshoot it while we are there. If it is working then we will go home and hope it continues to. Really hoping it works this time!

Do you have reason to believe he's suffering from heart issues?

I hold the unpopular opinion that Holters are all but useless as a proactive diagnostic, and that seems to be what vets are saying. They're used in research, and they're used to pin-down a diagnosis if there are symptoms, such as dizziness, syncope, fatigue, and that sort of thing causing concern.

If there are a substantial numbers of sudden death cases being avoided by taking a 24 hour analysis of cardiac electrical activity once a year or whatever, then I'd like to be pointed to research which indicates that is a thing. I just haven't seen anything indicating proactive Holters have this kind of value.
He has no symptoms so far of a heart condition. No cough, no lethargy, no exercise intolerance, no fluid build up and no episodes of passing out. He had his first echo recently and it did show his heart size on the upper-normal end and the function on the lower-normal end. So we want the Holter to see if there’s any artythmias

Correct, I saw how long it was and not "skim-able", so I saved it for when I have more time.

I am not an expert, I just observe what is in front of me. My last Doberman before the one I have now was born in 1991 and died 11 years later. She was fully fit and healthy with no problems at all. She died over night in her sleep, apparently with little or no struggle. So, I'd say SCD, with no signs of DCM or CHF. She was blessed with a long full life and honestly think it was the best way to go, if we could pick and choose. Recently read about another Doberman, fit and active in sports, had normal echo and Holter from the previous year, done so for breeding, died from SCD. I think he was 6 or 7. This was not a dog with an enlarged heart, coughing, fluid build up, lethargy, etc. Perhaps an Echo or Holter would have shown something if it had been done within a month or two, but we'll never know. I guess I'm saying that it's almost a different disease? If the heart is not enlarged or at least not to the point of causing any visible distress physically - then it seems like an electrical problem, not a heart enlargement? So in my mind, right or wrong, I'm looking at Holters as a significant way to keep a watch on things. I, like you, would like many more studies, but the money isn't there for it.

Correct, it's somewhat of a different disease.

Technically, an identified SCD risk in a normal heart would not be DCM, just some other defect in the heart muscle.

I think the most important thing is to pursue genetic tests to better identify SCD, since it's less predictable, less manageable, and more difficult to confirm post mortem. Typical DCM is just so much more obvious along every step of the way, and the abnormal heart size makes the pathology obvious. Who knows, maybe the PDK4 defect may not actually be as much of a DCM-specific coincidence, and may be more of an SCD thing.

The problem with that is a lot of the research is conducted by companies that provide Holter diagnostic services, as evidenced in a lot of the disclaimers associated with this area of research, so they're probably not very interested in publishing research that would either establish a reliable genetic test that might eliminate the need for a proactive Holter, or that would indicate that that the occult-SCD condition isn't prevalent.

I think the absence of good research into the condition that proactive Holters look at may be a strong indication in itself of how uncommon it is, that the companies that fund some of this research to emphasize the potential value of more Holter diagnostics would absolutely play-up the prevalence if it was high enough to be a selling point of their services, but maybe, as I noted, it's just too difficult to conclusively prove SCD in a normal heart post-mortem at this time, so there's just not solid enough data to use for the research.

That the cardiac diagnosticians may not even be focusing on the correct things in the Holter EKGs, as suggested by that research, is also concerning. It can't be very effective if it's not looking for the correct things.

He has no symptoms so far of a heart condition. No cough, no lethargy, no exercise intolerance, no fluid build up and no episodes of passing out. He had his first echo recently and it did show his heart size on the upper-normal end and the function on the lower-normal end. So we want the Holter to see if there’s any artythmias

It's not a bad idea if he's possibly trending towards enlargement, that is one of the indications that a Holter is useful to diagnose risk of SCD.

Has his heart changed appreciably since previous Echos, or has he only had one so far, and it came back with borderline-normal concerns?

The symptoms you mention are very much end stage, you won't see those until the heart is in congestive heart failure, and doing the Echos fairly regularly should make sure that doesn't catch you by surprise.

My main regret with my boy who died too young of CHF is that I just didn't try hard enough to find the time when he was less than 6 to get him in for an Echo, I thought it was just a formality because his parents were so healthy and most of his recent ancestors were, too. And then COVID hit, and getting non-emergent appointments at the vet for most stuff was difficult, but I still wasn't overly concerned. I was wrong, and while it wouldn't have changed the outcome much, I really didn't like being caught by surprise by end-stage CHF.

And as far as syncope goes, if I had a dog suffer an episode, I'd be going for a Holter ASAP and start on a regular regimen of Holter testing until we either found another cause, or it always came up clear of anything of concern after several runs.

I hope the clinic is not charging you for retesting, and gives him extra treats for putting-up with this crap for a 3rd time! And hopefully, 3rd time is the charm. Sure would be nice if there was an app associated with the monitor that you could connect with BT to see what it's seeing. Even if you don't know how to interpret what the leads are sensing, you'd at least know that they're sensing something and data is being recorded.

Sure would be nice if there was an app associated with the monitor that you could connect with BT to see what it's seeing. Even if you don't know how to interpret what the leads are sensing, you'd at least know that they're sensing something and data is being recorded.
I read somewhere - maybe Alba? - that they quit using the follow-along type readers because (human) patients would freak out seeing activity that didn't look normal to them. Since they didn't know what they were looking at they reacted in the worst possible way, calling their doctors or going to the emergency room. They decided it was a bad idea to let them see the info as it was happening, much better to just get a report of the 24/48 hours later.

I read somewhere - maybe Alba? - that they quit using the follow-along type readers because (human) patients would freak out seeing activity that didn't look normal to them. Since they didn't know what they were looking at they reacted in the worst possible way, calling their doctors or going to the emergency room. They decided it was a bad idea to let them see the info as it was happening, much better to just get a report of the 24/48 hours later.

That's an excellent point, biofeedback is very much a thing, so that makes perfect sense for human patients. Bored patients who have monitors connected have a way of staring at the graphs and messing with their heart rate, sometimes setting-off the alarms. This was a pretty common pastime when messing with the Lifepaks in EMT/paramedic continuing ed sessions.

I could see both the unnecessary anxiety messing with the results to render them inconclusive, and of course the fire drills are also not helpful. Since Dobes are particularly tuned-in to their owners, seeing them worry would also cause them anxiety. Maybe it'd be better if the feedback was as simple as showing heartrate or a single-lead type readout that folks know the simple waveforms for, it would probably be enough to know that the datalogging was working.

Just saw this article and wanted to post it here:

A couple of things stood out (with my thoughts on Dobermans and the recent conversations here) :

The decrease could also be due to more screening, with colleges increasingly requiring athletes be cleared to play with an exam that includes an electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG), which measures the heart’s electrical activity and can detect dangerous heart rhythms.

“The patterns on an EKG can also tell a lot about the shape and size of the heart,” Harmon said. “In athletes, we are primarily looking for electrical or heart muscle disease.”

It’s been shown that screening that includes an EKG will catch between two-thirds and three-quarters of athletes at risk, she said.

Athletes who have an abnormal EKG might be sent for an echocardiogram, an ultrasound of the organ.

Autopsies found no heart defects in the majority of those who died. Most likely in these cases, there was an electrical short circuit, Harmon said.

This is why I absolutely feel that Holters are an important tool in watching your dogs health. I really feel like many SCD cases are a different scenario (electrical based) that shouldn't be piled into DCM, which is more of a long(er) term muscle disease.

Just more info, food for thought.

Back