The 7 Worst Dog Breeds for First Time Pet Owners

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Deciding to add a furry friend to your family is thrilling. But choosing the right dog breed for your lifestyle and experience level is key for everyone's happiness. While all pups have unique quirks, certain breeds pose extra training, exercise and health demands better tackled by seasoned owners. Of course, with preparation and an openness to learn, even "difficult" dogs can thrive in loving forever homes.

But what are considered the worst dog breeds for first time owners? Vets weigh in.

What Dogs Are Not Good for First Time Owners?​

Dr. Paola Cuevas, veterinary consultant at Petkeen, advises avoiding intensely athletic and protective breeds like Border Collies, Dobermans, Belgian Malinois and Rottweilers. Their energy, strength and guarding instincts require extensive obedience training, stimulation and handling knowledge. For example, Cuevas warns that Border Collies' intelligence means they need constant mental challenges. Untrained, these brainy pups often develop destructive behaviors.

Pit Bulls also make the "challenging" list due to breed restrictions and insurance difficulties. Dr. Erin Tate, Vice President of Clinical Development for CityVet, adds that herding varieties like Australian Shepherds and Collies need ample activity and attention to prevent anxiety or other issues. Sled dogs like Siberian Huskies share those demands.

Border Collies​

Cuevas strongly advises avoiding this "very intelligent" herding breed requiring near-constant mental stimulation. Without adequate outlets for their energy and smarts, Border Collies "will be prone to nipping and developing destructive and aberrant behaviors." Their needs overwhelm novice owners.

Dobermans​

Dobermans need rigorous physical and mental exercise, proper socialization, and firm handling says Cuevas. If left alone extensively, their protective traits and separation anxiety often create "aggressive incidents." First-timers rarely meet their demands.

Rottweilers​

Weighing 80-135 pounds with deeply ingrained guarding instincts, Cuevas warns that it mightbe difficult for first time owners to properly train and handle a Rottweiler. Their strength means adolescent rebellion could escalate without an experienced leader.

French Bulldogs​

Between chronic health issues, temperature regulation problems, intensive grooming needs and vet costs, Tate flags French Bulldogs and English Bulldogs as too high maintenance for first-timers. Their brachycephalic challenges demand seasoned owners.

Australian Shepherds​

As herding dogs, Australian Shepherds have very high energy levels and need "large amounts of activity, stimulation and interaction" says Tate. Without proper training and activity outlets, they are "prone to anxiety and destructive behaviors." First-timers rarely meet their needs.

Siberian Huskies​

Another challenging sled dog breed, Huskies share the endless energy and demand for constant stimulation that can overwhelm novice owners. As Tate explains, without early and strict training, Huskies easily develop major behavioral issues. Their strong wills require experience.

German Shepherds​

Originally working canines, German Shepherds need focused owners providing rigorous activity and training. With their large size, protective instincts and likelihood of aggression issues without proper handling, Cuevas cautions against this breed for first-timers. Their commands and shedding are also intensive.

Of course, assessing any pup's temperament and an owner's lifestyle on a case-by-case basis is key too. "When you are looking to adopt a dog, it’s first important to know what qualities and characteristics you are looking for to set up for success," says veterinarian Dr. Lindsey Wendt.

While certain breeds carry extra challenges, with proper preparations and realistic expectations, even "difficult" dogs can blossom with first-timers. The key is choosing a pup suited for your unique situation. Partnering with trainers and vets provides support too. With compassion and commitment, novice owners can take on more demanding canines. The rewards of opening your home—especially to a wonderful shelter or rescue dog!—make the effort worthwhile.

What Is the Hardest Dog Breed To Take Care Of?​

Brachycephalic (short-nosed) breeds like English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs and Pugs require intensive health management according to Cuevas. Their anatomical issues commonly cause suffering and expenses that overwhelm novice owners. Vets also flag Frenchies and English Bulldogs as necessitating substantial care.

On the grooming front, long-haired beauties like Chow Chows, Golden Retrievers, and Poodles need daily brushing and professional trims. Breeds prone to chronic conditions (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Great Danes) likewise demand extra time and planning.

Original source: https://paradepets.com/dogs/worst-dog-breeds-for-first-time-owners

I am a first time adult dog owner and agree with this list also. Had 4 Dobermans as a kid and took care of my friends pit bulls in my 20s. I am not 100 percent clueless with Pepper, but most definitely she isn’t easy.
I am thankful I am stay at home and very active also a bit neurotic haha. Therefore, I can give her what she needs and more. Fine line it is, but I think we are doing ok with her.
Read my husband this list and said “good thing Pepper isn’t alone more than 10 min a day “ 😂🙃
Joking sort of haha she for crate train which she does enjoy being in.

I am a first time adult dog owner and agree with this list also. Had 4 Dobermans as a kid
That really helps when you understand the breed and what makes them tick.

I've had dogs all my life and a I know for fact that a Belgian Malinois would be too much for me.

That really helps when you understand the breed and what makes them tick.

I've had dogs all my life and a I know for fact that a Belgian Malinois would be too much for me.
I’m learning each day more annd more, also learning who Pepper is. I do a lot of research on my own and DCF has been a huge help too!

Yes, Malinois, Collie, and Dalmatian I just wouldn’t want to do it and it would be too much.

My husband and boys are talking bout a second dobie when Pepper is two. I said sounds great, but let’s see by then haha.

My husband and boys are talking bout a second dobie when Pepper is two. I said sounds great, but let’s see by then
I personally think the two year difference is perfect. The older one is acting more mature at that age but still young enough to want to play/interact with the pup.

Back