Not sure if have pockets or not!

Jeff123

Novitiate
Hey all, so I have a 12 month old Dobie male, imported from Serbia! He has a long show crop so the posting process has been a long journey and is still going! I'm wondering whether he has pockets as his ears tip inward slightly after being down for a bit, but it's more of a crease in the ear rather than them bending to touch... He either has pockets or I just need to post for longer with stronger posts as was posting with tampons for a few months but wasn't strengthens them with tape, any help would be appreciated as the posting journey has been so long and I just want my boy to look nice! I have attached files of the possible pockets but not sure if it's just his ear fold! Will get some pictures of the ears standing when I can and post them also!

Attachments

• 20231023_115952.jpg
    20231023_115952.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231023_120017.jpg
    20231023_120017.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231023_120028.jpg
    20231023_120028.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to Doberman Chat! I think instead of close-up pictures just a head shot with his ears would be more helpful. Are they standing when he's out of posts? Lean in or out? If you make a funny sound do they stand at attention evenly or is one better than the other? We'll do our best to help, maybe someone else can tell by the pictures here, but I'd like to see how your dog holds his ears at this point.

Sorry missed a picture! So they both stand like the one on the right side here, left side is slightly relaxed here and usually stands like the right one

Attachments

• 20231023_120908.jpg
    20231023_120908.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 6
I have had some people tell me it's the start of pockets and too add bumpers and others tell me that he just needs more posting time! But don't want to continue posting normally without bumpers if that's what is needed! Very hard being in the UK as not many places you can do to for help just kind of got to research online and do what you think is best!

Welcome from Minnesota!

Those aren't pockets and I agree they just need a bit more posting. I don't think a tampon is long enough for a show crop so that might by why the tips are pulling in a bit. I would try backer rod wrapped with a couple layers of duct tape since the duct tape firms the backer rod up nicely.
Wrapping post.jpg

I agree with everyone about the ears. But I have some altabello in my female, 3-4 generations back. All their dogs have a similar look in the face. I take it that’s where your dog came from? 67443779800__D4C4ABC5-422D-48CA-A8B9-42816F3AE6DE.jpegA6142FF7-2108-46BD-88DE-9BA564D86FD4.jpeg

What a handsome boy!!

No pockets there….just keep posting.

I would definitely do as @JanS suggested and go with a backer rod. Much more stability and tbh, I believe that’s what his ears are lacking- a strong structural support.

Yes he is an Altobello dobie! I spoke to breeder yesterday and they also assured me it wasn't pockets and to keep going! Such a relief! But I agree with not enough support I wasn't supporting the tampons enough a month or so back but have started taping them more now to give more structure! I will definitely try the backer rod whag thickness would you suggest? Thanks so much for your help it's nice to have other people's opinions who have done this!

Back