• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Incontinence - when natural remedies won't work?

Ok, I have been giving Lexi the generic pseudophedrine 2 pills a day for a few days, now, I do it every few days. Its been just a little over 2 weeks NO ACCIDENTS. I haven't noticed any side effects either. No dripping, nothing ! weeee

After Suzan recommended it I had the chiropractor treat both my girls while he was out anyway for the horses (he does dogs as well). I wanted him to do Bailey due to her incontinence and threw Easter in there for the hell of it. It is now a month or so ago and we have only had ONE accident since then. Whether it is us being better at managing her and keeping her empty or it is the chiropractic that helped I'm not sure. Fact is that I am very happy about not having to wash blankets all the time. :)

oh yeah, not having to wash things is great. But what I really feel better is, she doesnt come running to me all hunched over hanging her head...damn I felt so bad for her, you know she didnt mean it. Poor thing.

Like my mom used to tell people... if you make any of my babies cry...Im gonna cry. Feel so bad for them lol

Ok, I have been giving Lexi the generic pseudophedrine 2 pills a day for a few days, now, I do it every few days. Its been just a little over 2 weeks NO ACCIDENTS. I haven't noticed any side effects either. No dripping, nothing ! weeee

Kim are you saying you don't give her pills every day...just 2 pills a day for a few then off for a while????

Yes, the first few days, I gave her the pills like the pills I had gotten from the vet. A initial loading dose 2 pills once a day for a few days, then one pill for 2 days ~~ now I have been giving her 2 pills every 2-3 days. I will then taper that down as far apart as I can and see how long between pills I can go before she starts having accidents. My RIP girl I weaned down to one pill a month with no accidents ever again. So if I can get like that with Lexi...I will be tickled. Less meds I have to give any animal is the best way to go, but both of us need to be happy. ;)

My Dobie, Treya, has incontinence and my RIP Elsa did too. My vet prescribed Proin for both of them. It worked well enough for Elsa, just occassional dribbles when laying down. She was on it for a couple of years before she died of bloat. For Treya, it completely stopped her problem within a few hours. She had to wear a diaper before she went on the meds. I have just been giving it to her as prescribed, but now that I've been reading this, I might venture into the unknown and try to cut her dose down a bit and see how it goes. That sudafed information sounds good, especially on my limited budget. I'll think about trying it too.

Thanks so much for the input everyone!

For some reason I was thinking the DES was worse than the Proin, but maybe I had that mixed up... Good to know!

My vet told me Proin was the safest medication but warned me that there can be behavior issues ( notable anxiety and aggression ) He said the other meds ( DES ) are not drugs he feels comfortable giving to younger dogs because the risk of long term health issues is too great. He does. however use it with older dogs. Sadly my poor sweet Rhea is only 2 and she is showing severe anxiety issues since starting the Propalin. He suggested I redcue her dose from 3 times a day to once a day and it is still effective but the side effects have not diminished so I am desperately seeking a natural alternative.

I never wanted to use Proin because of some of the reported side effects. Our vet put our girl on Estradiol, which is a very small dose of 1 mg and we only had to give it every 7 - 10 days and it completely controlled it. You might want to ask your vet about that @alrak.
This was after we tried all of the natural remedies with no luck.

I never did update on this, but I forgot to give Della her dose when I was supposed to a while back and she was still good, and now it's been a few months off it with no problems at all. I was reading an old post about chiro treatment sometimes helping and Della did have a treatment after our little car mishap, so perhaps that took care of it and I didn't even realize it.

Thank you Jan. I will definitely ask my vet about Estradiol . I am glad to hear Della is doing well without medication . I have heard that sometimes this will happen so I stopped giving Rhea her Proin to check it out but we did not have any luck.

Back