Embark results!

kaloric

Kaiya's Embark results came back.

I'd strongly encourage folks to get these tests done and share their pups' Embark and/or VGL results, regardless of what they show. It's not a competition, it's about knowledge, comparing anecdotes about how our dogs' stories are being written, and if there are any indications that some of the building block combinations work better than others. It's not about shaming or naming or being anxious about a dog's future because there are maybe some causes for concern. And of course this goes for breeders too, especially if they're trying to do better, the general shaming culture has to stop.

There was nothing overly surprising, and mostly good news from a genetic diversity standpoint. She's 100% Doberman, even though I'd swear she must be at least 50% coyote.

There was only one concern, which is that she's a carrier for vWD, and it'd be more surprising if she was vWD clear. All other known, suspected, and coincidence markers were clear. I harbor no delusions that there are still high odds she'll develop DCM, simply because she's a Doberman and there's no such thing as "testing DCM-free" until the dog makes it to advanced age without heart troubles.

kaiya embark health.png

The more interesting meat and bones of the test, what I really wanted, was also interesting.

kaiya COI graphic.png

One thing I wanted was a IR number and that visualization, but I suppose this is close enough. What this does show that isn't included in the genetic diversity assessment from VGL is the curve for all purebred dogs. That's pretty frustrating for the breed as a whole, even though she's still on the "more outbred" end of the spectrum for Dobermans, that Dobermans in general have most of their population COI weight around 50%, where the average purebred population has apparently dropped-off to a negligible number of members with that much in the way of ROH (Runs of Homozygosity) and fixation at various gene loci.

I find the small bell curve that her COI percentage sits in to be rather interesting. The primary bell curve, and mean of the population is more around 45-50% COI, but the little one that peaks around 27% must have some significance. Is that the population Euro-North American hybrid Dobes? Is that just representative of casual/accidental breeders in general?

For reference, this is similar to what I was hoping I'd see in terms of a current snapshot of Kaiya's comparison to the rest of the Dobe population; this was Kira's from 2017, the first IR visualization is what I'm talking about. I'm guessing Kaiya is also somewhere around an IR of -0.1, in that she's still well below the mean of the population. The graphs look a bit different, but I'm guessing they're using the same underlying data and methods, one just looks at the bigger picture across purebreds in general while the other is zoomed-in on the Doberman genetic COI curves.

kira genetic diversity.png

Lastly, here's the visual representation of the homozygosity across Kaiya's genome.

kaiya inbreeding by chromosome.png

I'd like to have the specifics and DLA haplotypes, but they really only discussed one general haplotype, haplogroup A1d, haplotype A247/A522.

I do not know how this compares to, say, the second visualization and haplotypes from the following, which, for the sake of variety, was Kor's VGL diversity assessment.

kor genetic diversity.png

Yes, he was substantially more inbred than Kira. He had no diversity in DLA haplotypes. In light of him dying of CHF way too young (8.5 years of age), I do kind of wonder if this might be a factor, as immune responses damaging the heart is one hypothesis about DCM.

I'm tempted to go ahead and get the VGL diversity assessment done on Kaiya as well, it is a bit disappointing to have the data provided be slightly differing in the details provided. I did not get Embark tests for either Kor or Kira.

HOWEVER
, all the nitpicks with the data presentation aside, I'm pleased with how comprehensive the assessment is, and with Kaiya's results overall. This is even better than I'd expected or hoped for. While pedigree history and health info about her ancestors would be nice to have, I'm cautiously optimistic for her future based on the most basic "what's in front of me" results and observations alone. Only time will tell how her story goes. But I will say, and I hope some breeders will someday take note, because I'm pretty sure I'm not alone: If you focus on producing pups whose Embark profiles look like this, AND add that ancestral health history to mitigate some of the unknowns, I'd pay top dollar rather than slumming and patronizing casual & unintentional Dobe breeders. I don't care about names in pedigrees, I don't care about titles, I care about health, longevity, genetic diversity, temperament, and general correctness for the breed.

For a little more discussion of haplotypes and the crisis facing the Doberman, here's another good, short, scientific read, which itself has more links to the research. This is one of the many essays, studies, review papers, and the like, from professionals, which I feel are a call to action for all of us.
"An Update on the Genetic Status of the Doberman Pinscher (2017)"

From that review article/blog post, I can't agree more with this sentiment of Dr. Beuchat's:
DNA testing does not make someone a "responsible" breeder. Caring for the heritage of your breed does not make you a "preservation" breeder. Pride and love and dedication are all terrific, but they will not prevent the heartbreak that awaits thousands of Doberman owners in the future. Breeders need to DO something about this. We need to step up to the plate and acknowledge that continuing to breed dogs that are likely to die of a genetic disorder is irresponsible, unethical, and inhumane. That is certainly how the average, everyday dog lover feels. This is also how I feel.

It bears repeating over and over again as a mantra. The pet household is the foundation of the breed, everything else is secondary, and it's imperative that folks breeding Dobermans pull-out all the stops in fixing this, ribbons be damned. Genetic testing is only the tip of the iceberg. The results must be acted upon or they are pointless.

Beyond the little rant there, here are a couple of recent Red Devil photos, starting with crazy eye when she was feeling bitey and predatory. The other parts of the Embark test did identify her coat color and other phenotypes accurately. There wasn't one that associated red coat with being completely bonkers, maybe someday they'll find a genetic basis for what seems to be the common observation.

kaiya eye.jpg

And one of her flopping in the grass again after zoomies. It's just so hard to get a good photo of her standing still. It's either a blur of red fur, tongue, and often teeth, or laying down to cool off.

kaiya 8-19-23.jpg

There was only one concern, which is that she's a carrier for vWD, and it'd be more surprising if she was vWD clear.
That's not a concern and if you were to breed her, you'd want to find a clear male. Even if they're affected, I've heard that very few of them are clinically affected.

Yeah, I'm not concerned in the least, it's just the only "concern" that Embark came up with. They do explain the rest reasonably well when the section is expanded to show detail. I suppose it is a thing that they should mention just because it's there. "Notable" is probably a little bit of an overstatement, being a carrier is really a minor thing at best.

I'm not concerned in the least, it's just the only "concern" that Embark came up with.
If the parents were health tested, which they should be before breeding, and you have a clear and a carrier, it could go either way. If you have two clears, the pup will be clear, etc.
Embark notifies you in the results since you can get an OFA certification from some of the things.

Agreed, and I think one of the not-so-great compromises a lot of breeders are making is risking breeding two carriers, or even a vWD affected dog.

I realize (to quote a breeder who was unhappy I made a comment about "better choices") that "vWD is not what is killing our dogs," but at the same time, it certainly doesn't help to risk a litter that statistically would have 25% of the pups be homozygous affected (two carriers) or 100% carriers (a homozygous affected and a clear), and involve at least one parent with marginal hip scoring to boot, which was another context factor driving me making that remark. Some breeders are just too eager to go all-in on a specific animal when there are better choices.

I also realize that excluding otherwise perfectly good animals from breeding consideration over something that is relatively minor also would stand to throttle the gene pool even more. It's frustrating that it seems like there's no chance of getting rid of minor things (vWD), idiotic things (z-factor) or major things (DCM), owning Dobermans is like playing in a minefield from a dog health perspective.

My dogs results were much like yours, except vWD clear. Clear on everything, including DCM 1 & 2. But COI is 41%, which I'm not at all proud of. Pedigree doesn't look like it but evidently it does pile up in the distant relations. Then when she was a year old and her sire was going on 8 he died of sudden death. Both parents good on all genetics and holters and echos at time of breeding. Her dam is currently 10 and doing well, but I'd be lying to say I'm not worried about SD.

I agree with you on many points, but I really don't understand what you mean by:
The pet household is the foundation of the breed, everything else is secondary, and it's imperative that folks breeding Dobermans pull-out all the stops in fixing this, ribbons be damned. Genetic testing is only the tip of the iceberg. The results must be acted upon or they are pointless.

Act on what? I have a perfectly clear Embark on every disease tested, yet 41% COI and the sire died before he turned 8. So genetics be damned, they die with the best scores too. What do I act on? She's working bred, with a mix of Euro and American. A difficult pet temperament, high drive working type. I have no intentions of breeding her, I'm not a breeder. But I love to prove her worth by trialing and titles (those ribbons, worth 25 cents!).

I'm not arguing I'm just trying to understand what you think breeders should be doing? Pet Dobermans are not what the original foundation was based on. Are we to ditch it all for pets? I think working titles are worth more than conformation titles, but it comes a point that they STILL need to look like a Doberman.

By “pet” are you referring to the dogs from show or working litters that don’t end up competing? Or is it the dogs bred simply because they are a male and female of the same breed? The latter I would guesstimate being 90% of all Dobermans being born.

My dogs results were much like yours, except vWD clear. Clear on everything, including DCM 1 & 2. But COI is 41%, which I'm not at all proud of. Pedigree doesn't look like it but evidently it does pile up in the distant relations. Then when she was a year old and her sire was going on 8 he died of sudden death. Both parents good on all genetics and holters and echos at time of breeding. Her dam is currently 10 and doing well, but I'd be lying to say I'm not worried about SD.

I believe 41% is still at or below the mean COI, which would probably mean that she's somewhere around 0 IR. That's nothing to be disappointed about, either. It definitely piles-up in the ancestors. After all, there was a substantial bottleneck to cause the Doberman to start breeding true, such that it was a real breed and not a mish-mash of mongrels. There just isn't much diversity to begin with, and every time someone goes on a linebreeding binge, it gets a little worse.

Of course you're sweating the specter of SD looming over your girl, but it's always a roll of the dice because we just can't know what will happen, and she could just as easily roll a solid 15+ years. It's just harder to focus on hope than fears.

I agree with you on many points, but I really don't understand what you mean by:

Act on what? I have a perfectly clear Embark on every disease tested, yet 41% COI and the sire died before he turned 8. So genetics be damned, they die with the best scores too. What do I act on? She's working bred, with a mix of Euro and American. A difficult pet temperament, high drive working type. I have no intentions of breeding her, I'm not a breeder. But I love to prove her worth by trialing and titles (those ribbons, worth 25 cents!).

What I'm getting at is that breeders (and puppy buyers) just need to take the results of the tests into account and factor them into decisions. For far too long, health testing is all too often a "go through the motions and then make whatever compromises you want," regardless of the outcomes. What's the point of doing OFA testing if a breeder is going to compromise and breed an animal with less-than-good hip/elbow scores? What's the point of diversity testing if a breeder isn't at least making it a reasonably serious criterion to pair animals with differing DLA haplotypes and also maybe favor some differing values at various loci? What good is talking about diversity if buyers don't go out of their way to respect the efforts of breeders who are working on the issues, even if it means possibly paying more for a less glamorous pup?

But I would say it's worth considering breeding your girl if you have the patience and time for it, if you are able to find a good prospect. Taking good genetic test results into a pairing with an internal outcross is what will help a bit. One way to act is to breed more animals fewer times each.

SD is one thing, a one-off (hopefully) familial history incident of that doesn't necessarily mean any more than a few generations of longevity that are rudely interrupted by a resurgence of early-onset CHF at about 8.5, as happened to my sweet boy Kor. I wish he had either of his parents' or any of his grandparents' longevity. He just wasn't a winner of the genetic lottery in that regard. Seems like that should be a yellow-light situation, where it's not a red-light dead-end for a bloodline, but it's also not an all-in green light, either. Caution would be warranted, to see how many offspring and grandpups have issues with SD or other cardiac issues.

Participating in competitions, in and of itself, isn't what's bad. It's focusing on success so much that appearance and breeding around popular, winning sires comes before all other considerations.

I'm not arguing I'm just trying to understand what you think breeders should be doing? Pet Dobermans are not what the original foundation was based on. Are we to ditch it all for pets? I think working titles are worth more than conformation titles, but it comes a point that they STILL need to look like a Doberman.

Was the foundation of the breed conformation exhibitions involving Dobermans with weak, anxious temperaments? :p

Every day, we stray further...

What I'm getting at is that nobody is going to get much of anywhere without those pet homes, both as an option for continuing diverse bloodlines in a less-competitive manner, placing animals that aren't quite suitable for breeding goals (any number of things, including less-than-stellar health tests, poor temperament, poor conformation), and funding breeders' efforts. For that matter, casual breeders are a huge part of that foundation, too. It takes all kinds to maintain the critical mass that keeps the breed strong.

A pet version of a Doberman might not be as high drive as a functional personal protection dog, or as attractive as one with a Ch. title, but that's okay. Even pet Dobermans are expected to be confident, protective dogs who always have their soft side towards their family members and a harder side towards any strangers and potential threats. People don't get Dobes because they like playing fetch or herding cattle, they still are looking for a correct, but maybe a little softened, variant of Herr Dobermann's vision.

I consider myself to have a pet home even though I prefer high drive Dobes with stable and reasonably sharp temperament. Why do I want that? Because I spend a decent amount of time in the national forests and live a stone's throw from large swaths of national forest and designated wilderness lands, and it's really good to have a high-endurance, fearless, confident dog that is always on the lookout for any threats I don't sense myself. Folks have been going missing in national forests and parks! Otherwise, I don't really need personal protection all that much, but it's all the other things that come with the package that I value above all else, and caused me to settle on this particular breed when I honestly didn't care a whole lot for any of the other breeds I fostered. Before I got a Dobe, I wasn't even sure I considered myself much of a "dog person." I suppose there might be another breed out there that would be a great fit, I just stopped searching when I fell in love with Dobermans.

By “pet” are you referring to the dogs from show or working litters that don’t end up competing? Or is it the dogs bred simply because they are a male and female of the same breed? The latter I would guesstimate being 90% of all Dobermans being born.

It takes all kinds, but I'm just saying that's where the center of the breed's mass is, and will always be. There is not enough interest in using Dobermans as working police, war, or guard dogs. There is relatively limited use in dogs that compete in exhibitions. It's really the same with most breeds. It's the basis for the saying, "The customer is always right"-- it's not that every customer should always get their way, no matter how unreasonable they're being, it's the notion that you're going to have a rough time selling potential customers on things that hold no value to them or that cause them grief, and they'll eventually go elsewhere to patronize someone who takes their needs into consideration.

@kaloric you've explained yourself very well, I appreciate that.

I do agree with everything you pointed out, to varying degrees. I think breeders have to have a goal of what they are aiming at by breeding two dogs together. If it's a perfect physical specimen for show, or an IGP3 dog, they should have a goal. Health testing across the board no matter what. Longevity in the pedigree is becoming more important proof of health since transparency isn't very popular revolving around COD. Too many early deaths listed as an accident or bloat in certain lines... I also agree that tossing the baby out with the bath water was one of the biggest bottlenecks in our breed. The discovery of the vWD gene caused excess spay & neuter of carriers when they could have been safely bred to clears. They thought they were doing the right thing at the time. Same now with DCM. I consider DCM and cancer after age 10 nothing like DCM and cancer at the age of 5.

Buyers run the market but they don't realize the power they can hold over breeders. If every buyer refused to purchase from a kennel without full disclosure of test results on sire & dam & CODs of relations in the pedigree then breeders would start doing this. If DPCA would be more open to membership then more breeders could step up to their requirements to be responsible. If the WAE was demanded as a top priority for breeding temperament then maybe more dogs would be bred that have a good balance of suspicion, protection and aloofness to a friendly stranger. Our own breed club is part of the bottleneck!

You are also on point that most Dobermans are pets. They aren't show dogs, sport dogs or protection dogs, they're companion dogs. The working lines don't make great casual pets for JQP, but most of the show bred dogs do. The two lines have become more and more distinct and I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. Then there are the overdone Euro "heavies" that have now influenced the pet owners into demanding size and bulk. I won't even go there...

I will be getting an embark kit for Flint in a few days. I am also excited to see what is COI is. I was reading some posts about Kaloric's red devil and she sounds a lot like Flint as far as personality goes. He's fearless on the weirdest surfaces, as a matter of fact the more unstable, the better. He loves running around on tarp over rocks, wood piles with pieces that teeter, hog wire left on the ground, you name it. My husband and I took him out to a gravel pit to go shooting and he was content to lie down in the shade of our car and watch us shoot. We started with a .22 to see how he'd react to the noise, and all we got was intense interest in what we were doing. He handled the sound of a .45 just fine too. By the end of it he was lazily chewing away at a bone we had for him.

We have a neighbor with a bulldog x pitbull mix that barks at us sometimes and Flint stands between me and the other dog and barks back. I was worried he was going to turn out to be a very dominant case, but I took him to my mom's so she could meet him. My mom has a 7lb chihuahua/terrier thing and a 20lb Maine Coon cat. Flint showed mild interest in the cat, and the cat reacted about the same way. Once Flint tried to paw at the cat, the cat jumped onto a counter and that was the end of that.

The tiny mixed breed dog my mom has is a very dominant female and she had no trouble letting Flint know when he was being too much for her, and he was respectful of the boundaries she set for him once he understood. They played a bit and everything seemed fine. What surprised me the most was how Flint reacted when the small dog started having anxiety because my mom put her outside with us and closed the door to go do something else. Flint actually brought her his favorite toy, a ball with a rope that we play tug with, and he dropped it next to her and stood there. I still can't believe what I saw and this was about a week ago.

He will be 3 months old next Sunday. I am very happy with how he handles things.

I will be getting an embark kit for Flint in a few days. I am also excited to see what is COI is.
I hope you share the results with us here!

He will be 3 months old next Sunday. I am very happy with how he handles things.
He sounds like he has a very stable temperament! All the things you described and his reactions (or non-reactions!) are great. Time to start sharing some photos of his outings and antics now - You have a tiny window of time to get puppy pictures and stories to go with them, then POOF, he no longer looks like a puppy. Here's a picture of mine at 6 months. My "puppy pictures" window shut forever.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a9.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 3
I'm also really curious, hope you post Flint's results!

There's a certain quality to confident, curious Dobes where they enjoy exploring and testing their limitations. Just keep a really close eye on him, I think it was about Kaiya's 4th or 5th month mark when she realized she was large enough to jump, and she started jumping and climbing on everything. This included jumping through car windows (and not just my vehicles!) and climbing-up and jumping-off chain link & other metal mesh fences that were too tall for her to clear just by jumping over. The first couple times that happened, she almost got herself into trouble while I was visiting my folks. It's just always something, she really likes exploring.

I'd like to make a note that both of Flint's parents were carriers for vWD and DCM 2. Given that fact I am happy with the result. Also his COI in my opinion could be better, but it certainly could have been worse

Thanks for sharing. Your COI is quite good, comparatively speaking for Dobermans.

I think you are aware that the DCM1 & DCM2 markers are not significant factors for getting or not getting heart disease.

Enjoy your healthy pup!

I don't know how I missed your update on Flint, @StateOfMine, thanks for sharing.

I looked back through some of your posts for background on him, from what you mentioned of his parents, I'd say 32% COI is fantastic, especially being from what sounds like a high-effort breeder who does the testing and research.

While I also am of the mindset that lower is better, I'm a realist, that there are sacrifices you make by going to an extreme. He's a very handsome little guy, and if you can get excellent conformation on 32% COI, you've done well. I didn't notice any stacked pictures of him, but I'm hazarding a guess the breeder did provide some to you and did their best to grade conformation in the puppies. It's at least a somewhat better chance of getting better conformation from recent ancestors with show titles than random obscure pet-line dogs.

Back