Doberman mate

Mlynn

Novitiate
Hello! I am new to the chat and in search of advice from someone that possibly went through a similar situation.

I have a female Doberman just a few months shy of 2 years old. My roommate has a male Doberman that is almost 9 years old. They are best friends and she has really brought back out the puppy in him. However I am purchasing a home so they will be separated from day to day life that they’re used to. (They’ll still see each other regularly) I’m worried that my pup will get lonely/anxious alone so we’re considering getting her a play mate. Not right away but within the first year of moving into our home. We have considered other breeds (and are still considering) but I grew up with Dobermans so I would like to have another one. I would prefer another female but I’m worried that it wouldn’t end well. Any advice? Should I get a male instead? Any advice or opinions are appreciated haha. Thank you in advance.

Welcome from Minnesota!

Two years is a good age to bring another pup in, if you're going to do it.
I’m worried that my pup will get lonely/anxious alone so we’re considering getting her a play mate.
I wouldn't worry so much about that as the right reason to bring another pup in. Of course that will mean twice the training, which needs to be one on one, twice the food, twice the vet costs, etc. If you're considering it solely on the fact that you think your pup needs a companion and play mate, it's not enough reason alone, IMO.

Two Dobermans interact differently than one Doberman and another breed, but I think it's a good thing. I would personally look for a male since same sex aggression can appear in either gender. Of course that would mean watching them very closely and/or separating them when the female is in heat, if she's intact.

Back