Ask Me How I Feel About "Flexi" Leashes

obbanner

Hot Topics Subscriber
The only time I use flexileads is after the dog has an understanding of recalls and I want to polish up the fronts using physical directions. I never use them if I think the dog will be pulling on them.

I've seen people with broken ones, but never saw these types of injuries. :eek::eek:

Ask Me How I Feel About "Flexi" Leashes - Higher Expectations HEX Dog Training & Behavior Modification

04/26/2013

227 Comments

Cody's Creations (who is not a proponent, either) that inspired me to write down some brief thoughts...

As most people who know me know, I HATE flexi-leashes. This might be the one dog training tool that I absolutely cannot find ANY value in; (even silly ones usually at least have some kind of foundation in a reasonably good idea... for the most part); NOT this one (if you ask me...).
Everything you can do with a retractable leash can be done on a long, fixed line (albeit maybe not as conveniently). The benefits of convenience, in my opinion, are far outweighed by the potential negative consequences of using of one these bad larry's. Exhibit A... (Fear tactic? Possibly.)

The injury in the photo to the right is a pretty typical example of what retractable leashes (cords, maybe more accurate?) can and do cause on a regular basis. (I will accede to the fact that the argument could be made that the leash didn't cause the injury; the poor - or complete lack of - training of the dog at the end of it did). However, when was the last time you saw a well-trained dog walking down the street attached to one of these? I'm going to venture a guess here & say never. Been wrong before, but...
Exhibit A:
8716728.jpg

8235297.jpg

The reasons I can't stand these things are as follows:

1) Simple mechanical malfunctions. I worked at a major corporate-owned PETsTORE for 6 years and I can tell you from experience that these things malfunction. Often, the mechanism inside breaks (never EVER at a convenient time... speaking of convenience) resulting in the line being continuously let out when you don't want it to be OR jammed. When and if the line jams and the contraption is ripped out of your hand, guess what happens? Your dog was already taking off after something (or it wouldn't have been yanked out of your hand) and now he has a plastic monster chasing after him. It is scary to dogs when this happens, and many a canine has ended up on a "Missing" poster over it.
2) Manners. I can't tell you how many times on how many different occasions (at how many different events, to the disillusion of how many people) I have seen someone's dog 16 feet away from it's owner wrapped around a display in a store, peeing on a table at an event, tying up another dog, "THIS CLOSE" to becoming dinner for another dog, in a completely different aisle or on a completely different STREET than the person holding the other end of the leash, jumping up, scratching, lifting their legs, wrapping up an exhibit, pulling down shelving... You see where I'm going with this. "Manners" is also a nice way of saying this is yet another reason I can't stand these things. Safety may be more accurate, which brings me to:
2522052.jpg

Exhibit B:
5388821_orig.png

Reason #3) They are dangerous. Notice the pictures that I have included thus far depict injuries to HUMANS. Nevermind the injuries to unfortunate dogs, including the BYSTANDERS. I will again accede to the fact that it is probably POSSIBLE to use these things appropriately(?), responsibly, but I am gritting my teach while even typing out that sentence because I have such a bad taste in my mouth for these due to what I have consistently seen over the years. I cannot recall ever once seeing somebody use one of these things responsibly... and I have seen a LOT of dog/human interactions (ya think? ;).

Retractable (extendable... flexi... choose your word) leashes frequently cause injuries up to & including those in Exhibit B, adapted from Flexi's own website. (See picture on left.)

I can already hear somebody arguing with me in favor of "Flexi" leashes by saying something like, "Well, I could say pit bulls frequently cause injuries up to and including the propaganda photos to my right" which is bullsh*t for many reasons and I will debunk that potential argument in another article.

4) ... and one of the more important reasons in my profession: retractable leashes send mixed (poor) communication signals to the dog. There is ALWAYS tension on a retractable leash... ALWAYS. The dog is aware of this, and this can have a SLEW of negative consequences, too innumerable to include all of them in this article, but teaching Cooper to walk with tension on the leash (read: pull) being the least of it.
And Reason #5: The total lack of control any given owner has on one of these things leads to injuries to other dogs with unusual frequency. I took the liberty of sharing the following blurb, adapted from Dog Whisperer needed | Henkimaa because it is so typical. Read on:

"This is the second time my friend Marcia’s dog Kimmee has been attacked by her neighbor’s dogs.

All three dogs were on leashes, but both of the attacking dogs were (1) larger than Kimmee; (2) on extendable leashes that were fully extended, leaving their owner with little control over them; (3) too large and strong for their owner to control both of them at the same time to begin with, [reliably on extendable leashes].

And this is the second time. The other dogs’ owner should know better. Marcia had taken Kimmee outside for a poo, and suddenly around the corner came here came the neighbor dogs at the ends of their leashes, their owner obviously not paying a great deal of attention to what her dogs might encounter out of her sight, running ahead of her as they were. Even though she knew her dogs had attacked Kimmie just a few months’ previous, to the tune of over $300 in veterinary care. This time was worse (& the vet’s bill reflects it)."
Exhibit C:
3825898_orig.jpg

6061968.jpg

I did not actually include in these pictorials the injuries inflicted on dogs BY their own "Flexi" leashes.. I have knowledge of these through friends who work at vets' offices and those injuries include: tail injuries resulting in amputation, lacerations down to the bone, injuries to tendons, torn skin (think inner thighs from leashes going under dogs), eye injuries, burns to the skin, etc.
In conclusion, I'd like to go on record as saying I can't stand extendable/retractable/Flexi leashes. I do not believe that they can be used 100% safely for the simple malfunction argument alone. They do nothing to help in a typical dog's training because of the constant tension on the collar. They give the owner extremely limited control... to the potential physical detriment to both human & canine, as evidenced above. They basically represent a gigantic percentage of what I feel is wrong with dog ownership these days; lack of: control, responsibility, understanding, and training. Rant concluded. Love it or hate it, thank you for reading.

If you or someone you know have had your mind at all opened to my arguments here and would like assistance with your own dog, please contact us anytime at [email protected].

I saw first hand how bad those things are, my friend used one with his Doberman a few years ago, we were at a party sitting in chairs on the side of his van when his dog noticed another dog on the hill behind us, the dog ran around the corner and the leash caught my friends wife in the neck, luckily she wasn't injured like the others due to a pole and several people acting quickly.. I use a 20 foot rope leash that I made a couple years ago, alot better than those things..

I suggest a new custom leather leash from Luca & Co.:)

Boy, I SO agree!!!!!!! And I am one of the people above! Although, thankfully, not nearly as bad. When I got Kali, I used a flexi on her. I wanted something where she had some 'leeway' to roam but still be 'attached'. I KNEW the dangers! And I was very careful. But. lol There's always that one time.

One time my husband had a hold of the leash with Kali. (my first mistake! lol ) He was standing on the top of the outdoor stairs and I was at the bottom. Kali came running down to greet me and then her and Buddy (who was down with me) suddenly decided to chase one another.......around ME. Both me and Buddy got a bit tangled in the process!!! I was screaming at my husband, not really knowing what I wanted him to do, but I was getting a rope burn on my ankle and I knew Buddy had a foot in it too. I grabbed the line to keep it slack but my main concern was that Buddy would take flight and I didn't want to think about what would happen. I immediately calmed down to keep the animals calm and Buddy was such a good boy when I calmly told him to sit and the slack fell off of his foot.

Whew. That was a lesson learned the hard way! So YES, be careful or better yet don't use these things. I would never use one on a Doberman! I thought with Kali being so small that it would be easier to control but these flexis are just damn dangerous.

Someone was using one at the camp beach with their rottie puppy. It wrapped around both my daughter and I. No serious injuries luckily, but the lady got freaked out and let the dog go. She then blamed my daughter for getting in the dogs way!!! Like a 6 year old playing in the water could see that coming?? The lady and her husband were fined because there were no dogs allowed on the beach...lol

I want to say first that I agree with this and I hate, HATE Flexi leads... But I wouldn't say that there is absolutely no use for them. I know several responsible service dog handlers whose dogs are very well trained, and they use them. Most of them use them so that their dogs can perform tasks that require distance without having to be off leash. While the ADA does permit service dogs to be off leash if a leash, etc., interfere with a service dog's tasks or the handler's disability, these handlers aren't comfortable working their dogs off leash for various reasons or they use that specific task(s) minimally. Another reason I've seen/heard it be used for service dogs is for mobility impaired handlers to allow their dogs extra room to stretch their legs and/or go potty while on break. They prefer them over tracking lines, etc., because they retract on their own and aren't as bulky as a tracking line, for example.

I have brought up the issue of them jamming, etc., with a few of the handlers, and the general consensus seems to be that the original Flexi brand is a lot more reliable than the other brands. Also, using it appropriately is helpful, I'm told... :rolleyes:

I'm another who hates them and will not use them. I agree that a long line does the same thing and if you're too lazy to keep them folded up and neat, perhaps you shouldn't have a dog. I've heard so many horror stories for the poor dogs as well, so why they're still on the market and people buy them is way beyond me.

I agree that a long line does the same thing and if you're too lazy to keep them folded up and neat, perhaps you shouldn't have a dog.

:eek: Oh dear, I hope you're not responding to what I said. I'm talking about people who are mobility impaired and having to fold up a long line several times a day would be very, very difficult on them, not to mention simply having to carry one around all day could be a hardship. It's got nothing to do with laziness -- several of these people work their dogs harder and better than anyone I've ever met and are anything but "lazy" -- but everything to do with trying to mitigate their disability.

If that wasn't directed at what I said... :whistle: Please disregard.

I love them personally. I use them to potty while we are on the road.

Never had a problem, nor do i intend on doing so.

I can see how they could be misused. Although i would much rsther someone flexi leash their dog then not at all.

We also use them, when out of town at dog shows, for potty. We have also used them for helping with returning over the jump. I believe the problem is with untrained people with untrained dogs. I see many people walking there dogs ho can't control them on a leather 6 foot leash let alone a flex. Then there are the idiots who don't even have there dogs on leash and there dogs are out of control. I say if you don't know how to use a tool don't buy it, whether it is a flexi or prong or any other training device.

OK... So. I have retractable leashes that I use on Jade (MP) and MoJo (Wiener dog). However, I personally wouldn't use one on a large breed dog. Rocco is walked on a 6ft. leather leash. Jade actually has a leather leash and I do NOT use the retractable when we are in 'public' (pet store, show, etc.).

But, I will say 2 things..

#1. Yes, I have received a burn from the leashes and it hurts.... nothing as bad as above, but, we are VERY careful NOT to allow it to get caught around us and I warn everyone, that starts to play with her to watch the leash, because it does hurt....

#2. if you can't control your dog, you shouldn't have them on a retractable leash! I can't tell you how many times, I have picked Jade up because I see people with out of control pits, GSD, whatever type of breed, you name it.. I know you've see it.. the dog has the wild eye and is looking at your little 14 pound dog like it's next snack is coming it's way... and the owner is always pulling on the stupid leash, sometimes they have prongs on them... everyone one of them have these stupid baby voices saying "no, stop, leave it" whatever... and I'm thinking "Oh dear God, take that dog to a class" stop talking to it, like it understands what your saying!!! It's a dog, read a book!!! So, Jade has a command to jump in my arms... It's a cool trick and has come in VERY, VERY handy!!! NOW.. I was at the park one time (before Rocco) and I had to pick up with Jade and MoJo because some stupid guy didn't have his dogs on leash at all... I swear.. you gotta keep your eyes out all the time for crazy people. It's never the dog, it's always the people...

oh, one more story... I have a neighbor that has 2 beagles, he walks the dogs on a retractable leash on TANDEM (hope I spelled that correctly). Well, he was walking down the street and my stupid neighbor who I like to refer to as Mr. butt head, was on a conference call in his front yard, with his dogs off leash (new one he just found on the street and decided to keep). Well, my dogs go to the door and start barking, I look in time to see butt heads dog running up to the beagles, the beagles twisting all around my neighbors/friends legs, causing him to fall!!!! I go running out of the house (believe it or not, both my dogs stopped barking at this time). I yelling, are you OK, mr. butt head comes running out of his yard with a 6 foot stick swinging it at 'the new dog' yelling at it... My neighbor sitting on the ground now, is yelling NO, NO... I'm 1/2 way down my drive way.. moving as quick as I can, thinking... Mr. butt head yells at my neighbor on the ground "I don't have time to talk to you".... "I'm on a conference call"... my poor neighbor/friend is still on the ground... both of his dogs are all over him... I get there and see he's tied up at the ankles by the leash and the tandem thing. I grab both dogs by the harnesses and pull them off of him. Meanwhile Mr. butt head has walked away... and gone back into his house.. My neighbor/friend he gets his legs untied and hands me the dogs, so that he can get off the ground.. He's not hurt or anything and I think really just a little embarrassed..

can we say LEASH LAW......... for some reason this guy that lives next to me things that only applies to everyone else's dogs. If you can control you dog in your yard without a leash.. then GREAT... but, don't be on a conference call in the front yard with dogs off leash and expect everyone else to deal with your dogs...

OK.. sorry, did I get off track!

When you attend one of my dog classes I display the various collars, leashes, etc. just so we're all on the same page. The last leash I show is the "retractable" which you have all done such a super job of discussing. My only comment to students is that I will personally cut your leash into pieces if I ever see you using one in public. We live in a relatively small community and there are more than a few violators who will attest to being on the wrong end of my claim.

The only time I use flexileads is after the dog has an understanding of recalls and I want to polish up the fronts using physical directions. I never use them if I think the dog will be pulling on them.

04/26/2013
These types of leashes have been on the market for years and I was foolish to use them on my eleven month old Dobie Joey many, many years ago. The evidence of the burns and lacerations are very painful from personal experience and put me on bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy. Joey had basic obedience but hated cats...that was his weakness. I have since adopted felines and trained my dogs to them to avoid the issue. I do not recommend them for anything less that under twenty five pounds and trained. They are made for scooby snacks not dobermans, boxers, shepards, mastiffs, pitbulls, nor hounds yet, I do see a lot of people foolish enough to think that this is acceptable. If your animal is 5 ft away from you in public...you are wrong and ignorant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a neighbor that has 2 beagles, he walks the dogs on a retractable leash on TANDEM (
Gosh, that was just asking for trouble!! :shock: Regardless of the other neighbor! But, of course, he was pretty much an idiot too for not even helping with something his dog created. :nono:

And this nice open grassy field is a great place for the 25 foot long line. But when you have trees and bushes and land that is not a lush grassy field but full of weeds and some sandburrs :eek: rolling that thing up can be hell! LOL
index.php

I love them personally. I use them to potty while we are on the road.

Never had a problem, nor do i intend on doing so.

I can see how they could be misused. Although i would much rsther someone flexi leash their dog then not at all.
I agree, they do sometimes serve a purpose and better than none at all. It was the best thing ever when I got Kali. But even being aware of the 'problems,' I ran into trouble with it. It's never intentional, its always an unforeseen accident. They scare me now. LOL

I had one I was using as recommended by a trainer. My mum is in her 60's,she took Calah out on the lead and she saw a cat. My mum had the leash wrapped around her wrist, Calah took off and took my mum with her. She cracked her rips and has damaged her finger. I also had an near injury when I had her on the training line and she spotted another dog - voom gone!! I tried to hold on to the line and she took me clean off my feet and I landed on my back - I don't use it anymore, there is absolutely no control whatsoever on these things!

I HATE these leashes i see people all the time with little and big dogs running around 12 ft. out in front going crazy, clearly the dogs aren't trained (except: shake, rollover, etc.) which pisses me off when untrained dogs run up to me and jump and bark.
Of course the owner's of dogs on these leashes will NOT listen to any training advice at all.

I use a 25 foot longe line for a horse with my Dobies. They usually have a rubber stop on the handlers end so they're easy to hold onto. When they get too nasty, I throw them in the washing machine.

Cotton Lunge Line | Dover Saddlery
is an example.
Yes! These are fantastic and what we use for protection work while they're still on the line. Much more grippy AND gentler on the handler's hands/arms than the nylon that most people go for.

Not a fan of flexi-leashes. I rarely come across anyone using one that has control over their dog. See them way too often used to let dogs toilet on people's property while the owner stands facing the other way pretending they don't know what's happening. Then they rush away and slow down a few homes down the street. I really hate irresponsible pet owners like that! :cus:

Never really thought about injuries from flexis. We use 6ft nylon web mostly. leather is not always a good idea in the rain forest. We used a horse line given to my hubby by a friend for distance training. Now we know what its called. :)

Back