• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Acne or something else?

Madzy420

Help! What are these bumps arpund my 10 mo. Old puppy's muzzle? I was just at the vet and he said "oh, if its a skin issue, its because its a Doberman! Just put some neosporin on it."
Totally not helpful. 😖
They also said it could be hormonal acne from her about to start her heat?
I've never heard of this. Can dogs get acne or is this bacterial?
I popped one of them to see if it were an ingrown hair and there was hair in one on her nose. A lot if pus and blood came out so I put collidal silver for pets on it and it healed up, but they keep coming back.
I have cleaned her toys and also wash her face every day with a warm wash rag (which she enjoys) to try and keep her face clean.
What else should I do? Thanks for help.

Attachments

• 20240324_143412.jpg
    20240324_143412.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240324_143540.jpg
    20240324_143540.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 3
I have cleaned her toys and also wash her face every day with a warm wash rag (which she enjoys) to try and keep her face clean.
What else should I do? Thanks for help.
It does look like it could be acne and that can happen at that age. You might try wiping her face after every meal so the food residue doesn't sit there.

It does look like it could be acne and that can happen at that age. You might try wiping her face after every meal so the food residue doesn't sit there.
I will try after every meal. I usually do it once a day but I will pick it up and see if that helps. Thanks.

Don't squeeze any of the pimples.

Clean the area with a bacterial soap and rinse. Can also use warm compresses 2-3x's a day.

Can also try using Calendula Gel after cleaning. Whatever you use put it on 2-3x's a day.

1711493479864.png

use warm compresses 2-3x's a day.
Warm compresses are under-rated. Katyusha had a reaction to her 6 week shots, and a horrific abcess infection formed. I wasn't ready for the discharge that came after a warm compress. I mean not ready emotionally in my head for what could possibly come out of it, but also not ready physically with enough towels/clean rags to catch everything that came out. She was up to snuff in a couple days. None of these can hurt, the Calendula or chlorhexidine wipes or warm compresses. Warm compresses did the trick for us!
I think that about 10 years back, my Toby had something very similar, but on his upper lip also, the clinic very easily diagnosed it as "puppy acne" and said to just wait it out, which I did back in the day, but I would have definitely seized on these over the counter/at home helpful things had I known about them to speed his recovery.
20210206_124255.jpg20210206_124435.jpg
these were photos of the abcesess that Katyusha had that a warm compress definitely helped solve! You can see it on the let side of her neck.

Kaiser always ate from stainless steel bowls and he also used to get them. I do think it's a hormonal thing because he doesn't get them anymore and I don't clean his chin as much unless I see actual food or slobber stuck to him. Someone commented back then that it might be because he eats from an elevated feeding station and that putting the bowl on the ground would help keep his chin cleaner. I could understand that, but I never did it for fear of changing up his eating style so late (he was about 2 years old) for risk of bloat.

Kaiser always ate from stainless steel bowls and he also used to get them. I do think it's a hormonal thing because he doesn't get them anymore and I don't clean his chin as much unless I see actual food or slobber stuck to him. Someone commented back then that it might be because he eats from an elevated feeding station and that putting the bowl on the ground would help keep his chin cleaner. I could understand that, but I never did it for fear of changing up his eating style so late (he was about 2 years old) for risk of bloat.
I actually bought an elevated stand about 3 weeks ago and then read it can cause bloat! I switched them back out. I wonder if that was part of the cause. 🤔

My wipes should arrive any day. The bottom is healing up nicely now.

Back