Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Zico (barking)

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Zico, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Zico

Zico New Member

My last post was closed due to a member posting wrong information

As for Zico well I had him inside the house sleeping and running around to try stop the barking everything WENT well until I left no matter who was with him he ran looking for me or where he was inside or outside he barks looking for me could be 1-2 hours no problem he just won't stop ruby has seemed to help him a bit but I can't go anywhere even out of sight for 2/3mins he's barking,if I'm not home for 5pm he barks till I am.i do believe they need to be around there human but I don't believe everyone on this site is with there dog 24/7 we have a life to live to he's exercised for 4 hours a day treats are put in toys so he has to use his head to get them, a bone is hanging up so he has to work to get it.

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm glad he's been in the house now and it's going well. He's going to need to get used to a new schedule and of course we all have to leave and go to work and they do adjust and learn to look forward to sleeping during that time.

I can't remember, but did you crate train him? When our dogs were younger they just knew it was time to go to the crate and relax when we went to work in the morning and now even on a day off when we're home they still have the habit of wanting to sleep during those hours. Have your family members ignore his barking when you leave and not respond when he does it and he'll figure out that isn't going to get him anywhere.

Thanks for the update on this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zico

Zico New Member

I had a little room with his bed in it but he wouldn't sleep in it barking away all night trying to get outside happened 3/4 nights so had to move it to where I sleep in my room he was ok but wouldn't sleep walking up and down the room for hours once the light was off, he doesn't seem to like being in the house at all why I don't no but anytime he is inside he's uncomfortable looking and can't sit still, now with ruby he seems to sleep better outside in his new house/bed and is a bit more relaxed it's not great but a bit better

4. BiggyRat

BiggyRat Member

Hello from Michigan. This breed has its quirks and particular needs for sure. Do you have trainers near you that you can afford? If you are from the old school of dogs outdoors, you may have a tough time making the adjustment without experienced help. I believe if you put your heart into training, you will succeed. With that said, it will be time consuming and it takes a calm and confident demeanor. The two Dobermans here require 4 hours per day of very active exercise or they can be unruly. They are vocal for sure and bark at anything that moves or just a scent in the wind.

Best of luck with your endeavor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zico

Zico New Member

I have placed him on a list for training starting in 2 weeks with a trainer and a class of other dogs he missed the class just gone, then ruby is booked in for the next class in a month

• Like Like x 1
  6. BiggyRat

BiggyRat Member

oops ya got another post in, lol.

The first dog here is female and she is less antsy than the new adoptee, male. He is up and about often during the night while she may only get up once if that. The bed on the floor mostly in the bedroom and at times near the front door. How long have you all been together, could take some time for all to adapt to one another. When the nearest neighbor put Christmas lights on, they both went nuts every time they looked out the window. That lasted about 10 days and then they were ok with it. Neighbors being 1/2 mile away. Whatever is in their sight is theirs to bark at I guess. New snow on bare ground causes a reaction even.

7. Zico

Zico New Member

But that's the thing it's not because something is moving,flashing,blowing he dose not mind anything like that I could be standing inside he would stand at the window barking like mad because he wants to be beside me once I go out he's fine, new people come around the house he won't bark or do a thing.if we are out playing ball and he's one end of the garden and I walked out of his sight he drops everything and runs looking for me, feeding time he won't eat unless I'm standing there the food will get eating by ruby and u won't care, like my morning is wake up dogs, go to work, come home, dogs dogs bed

8. kashi

kashi Hot Topics Subscriber

Sounds like separation anxiety or some form of it. You might need to work on building his confidence and assuring him that you will return. I suggest leaving him in the house/room/crate and going out of sight for a few minutes then returning. Repeat this exercise every time going for longer and longer. Eventually have yourself get in the car and driver around the block etc. He needs to learn that you aren't going to leave him. Same when you feed him edge further and further away from the bowl.

How old is he know?
    Is Ruby the Jack Russell?
    Are they both sleeping outside?
    When did this behaviour start?

9. Zico

Zico New Member

Hes 8months old now, no ruby is his new gf/friend shes a doberman to,yes they both sleep outside at the start i couldnt get him to sleep outside now it seems its the only place he wants to go inside hes walking up and down all the time cant sit still wont sleep inside its like hes afraid.started about a week after i first got him he was a bit run down so once he was himself it was like a switch was flicked amd he started

10. kashi

He sounds like he has some serious anxiety problems. It could be due to the travelling from overseas to you or he is just a little more high strung then others. I would suggest getting in a trainer/behaviourist to take look. I saw your new dog Ruby on the other thread, she very sweet. What motivated you to get her?

11. Zico

Zico New Member

Yeah he seemed to get worse over time he use to eat his food then look for me now it's look for me wait till I am there then eat, honestly people might think I'm crazy but for company for him she's young and full of energy always wanting to play games I was thinking with her there he will be kept busy until I get home as in she runs off with the ball and he dose be trying to catch her sometimes I get home and u can see there wrecked it's helped a bit with sleeping to nearly goes the full night now not barking maybe the odd one or two which I don't mind

12. kashi

I can understand it trust me. If I had a bigger yard i would probably have taken my brothers lab x boxer as friend for Layla as they get on so well and tire each other out. You will need to start building his confidence. He seems to have a very strong attachment to you. When he eats do you make him sit and stay before you give him his food. Is he in a calm state before he gets to eat?

13. Zico

Zico New Member

Yeah I always run him first then leave him to walk about for 10mins with no playing, comes time to eat I tell him sit he dose I put down the food and say eat and he goes for it, ruby seems to be happy doing her own thing she only barks at people but I think she has started to pick up on him barking

14. kashi

I am not sure what else to tell you except seek the help of professional in you area. Its very difficult to know exactly whats going on there without seeing it. Get help soon before Ruby starts to mimic his barking.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You also have to be very careful that they don't become dependent on each other so they won't see you as just someone inside. Training or anything else becomes very difficult if they're paying more attention to each other instead of you. They will both need lots of one on one work with you every day.

16. shadash

shadash Notable member

1. Get a crate/cage for your dog.
    2. Start a schedule so the dog knows and can expect when you're there.
    3. Start feeding on a schedule.
    4. Exercise on a schedule.

If all this doesn't work after a month or two I'd get a bark collar but only put it on when the dog goes to its crate to sleep. Your dog will quickly figure out not to bark when the collar is on.