Zeus Weein everywhere

zmchristopher

Notable member
Lol Title says it all.

Ive never had a male dog before... & Zeus is getting older, I can see changes in him.
The obvious thing is hes now starting to lift leg on trees and whatever.. but on our walks hes stopping every 2 minutes to wee... by the end of the long walk he often has nothing left in him!
My question is, do I allow him to do this? It gets frustrating... LOL! Or do I pop the leash and only allow him to wee when I give him his break to go sniff... Often Ive kept walking not realised and hes wee'd and walked the same time :confused:
I imagine this is all tied in with this maleness? spreading territory?

I love your thread title. :D That being said, I'm of little help here as Marco still squats - he's a month behind Zeus in age. Although I have noticed that Marco wees more often on our walks. As in, 3 or 4 times. All while squatting. :)

In any case, I'm interested in the replies, as usual!

If you are training then I would not let him stop to pee. That said if you've released him to walk freely on the lead then you've given him permission to do as he wants, including pee. I would give him a few seconds and then give the leash a pop and tell him to move on or let's go. In the end it is really about what you want out of your walks. Are you okay with him peeing on everything in sight or would you rather he do it a couple times and move on? My guess would be that he's coming into his own hormonally and is marking his territory.

It sounds like Zeus is marking territory instead of relieving himself. That's a habit you don't want him to eventually bring inside.

Since I show, wee'in on their own is something I strongly discourage for obvious reasons in both my males and females. I'd train him to go only where you approve. I never had any problem getting the message across to my dogs that they go where I want them. I use the word "Do", as in do your duty, when they can go.

Zeus should be a well mannered guest when visiting other places. For instance, there may come a time when you want to take him on somebodys nice lawn who wouldn't appreciate his marking it, and it would be nice to have him behave himself.

...there may come a time when you want to take him on somebodys nice lawn who wouldn't appreciate his marking it, and it would be nice to have him behave himself.

I plead ignorance, here, but is there a problem with male urine "burning" grass like females? I have some friends who don't like females weein' ( :) ) on their lawns because it ruins the grass in that area. Is there truly a harm in a male weein' on the lawn? Does marking by males do anything other than leave a scent? Just wondering...

Yup, you allow the pee breaks. Of course you will want to make sure that his bladder is empty before denying him the freedom to mark at will. With my dogs I allow them a few breaks during a formal walk at the most popular marking spots such as the fire hydrant at the corner and the little patch of grass near the pharmacy, but other than that they must stay focused on the walk.

I plead ignorance, here, but is there a problem with male urine "burning" grass like females? I have some friends who don't like females weein' ( :) ) on their lawns because it ruins the grass in that area. Is there truly a harm in a male weein' on the lawn? Does marking by males do anything other than leave a scent? Just wondering...
Sure the pee burns the grass.I have noticed however,if you keep an eye on that spot in a month or so it turns dark green all the way around it.Then the grass fills back in even thicker than it was before.

Urine in high concentrations kills plants. If a male constantly marks a certain spot, it will kill it. When one dog marks, others will follow. My building in NYC had to replace the trees on the sidewalk about 20 years ago because the dogs killed them. There was a campaign in the city about that time to inform people their dogs should go on anything but the trees.

55e9th.JPG

Urine in high concentrations kills plants. If a male constantly marks a certain spot, it will kill it. When one dog marks, others will follow. My building in NYC had to replace the trees on the sidewalk about 20 years ago because the dogs killed them. There was a campaign in the city about that time to inform people their dogs should go on anything but the trees.

View attachment 9450
So I wonder how well it would have gone over if the dogs started lifting leg on cop car wheels?:eek::D

Dylan started lifting his leg and acting all male when he was about 7 months old. By 10 months, I'd had enough, and he lost his boys. Within about three weeks of his neuter, he was squatting like a girl again, and still does, at 16 months. I often wonder if he's got a screw loose, because when he does sneak by me and lift his leg, he pees on his own front feet every time. :eek2:

When I walk him, he is to focus on the walk and not relieve himself. I be sure to give him ample opportunity to go before we head out, and again when we get back. But during the walk, no. I don't make him heel, necessarily. It's more of a loose leash walk. But I do require him to be at my left side, and within a couple feet. To me, it's exercise, and I don't want to be dragging him or correcting him all the time. He's also asked to ignore anyone and everyone unless I tell him to go say hi. He's very good about it.

And yes, male urine burns lawns like nobody's business. Dylan has now managed to clear a 6 ft by 6 ft patch of our yard for his own use. Nice and brown. :tap:

So I wonder how well it would have gone over if the dogs started lifting leg on cop car wheels?:eek::D

I used to get my car washed in the garage where I parked it. It would be clean and shiny until I parked it in front of my building to run upstairs for my luggage (and dog), and when I came back, there'd be yellow markings on my mags. :(

LOL, love your title! :D I'm also jealous since Albert is about the same age and is "almost" lifting his leg but not quite yet (I know I'm strange ;))...

Art, I so know what you're talking about there since I almost got in trouble with the community I was living in back when we had our Boxer and he kept lifting his leg on the same tree and killed it. :oops:
Sure the pee burns the grass.I have noticed however,if you keep an eye on that spot in a month or so it turns dark green all the way around it.Then the grass fills back in even thicker than it was before.
Gosh, that's so true too - at least in our dog fence. That grass needs mowing twice as often as the rest of the yard... :p

Dylan started lifting his leg and acting all male when he was about 7 months old. By 10 months, I'd had enough, and he lost his boys. Within about three weeks of his neuter, he was squatting like a girl again, and still does, at 16 months. I often wonder if he's got a screw loose, because when he does sneak by me and lift his leg, he pees on his own front feet every time. :eek2:
Wow that's odd and in fact we did a poll a while back about neutered males lifting their leg and most of them do.

Here's a wee little story...

Years ago and a few dogs back, my wife used to work with the aged. One day she came home and before she got showered and changed she wanted to but a tape in the VHS (that's how long ago it was). She was sat on the floor and Shawn came over and lifter his leg on her back!!!! she never screamed so loud and I have never laughed for so long. He obviously could smell old people all over her clothes LOL :D

Here's a wee little story...

Years ago and a few dogs back, my wife used to work with the aged. One day she came home and before she got showered and changed she wanted to but a tape in the VHS (that's how long ago it was). She was sat on the floor and Shawn came over and lifter his leg on her back!!!! she never screamed so loud and I have never laughed for so long. He obviously could smell old people all over her clothes LOL :D
I'll just say.....I love it.

Cya

I used to get my car washed in the garage where I parked it. It would be clean and shiny until I parked it in front of my building to run upstairs for my luggage (and dog), and when I came back, there'd be yellow markings on my mags. :(
Mags.:D

Thanks for all your replies people :) See the thing is, we get out an I let him have a good wee about 2-3 times but by the end of that he is spritzing everywhere! & Sometimes I worry like when I go into the petshop... or anywhere new.. where he really should not go toilet that he might do it there, simply because up to now hes peeing when he wants & where he wants.
I think from now on I may have to correct him & as for the grass blimin ek!! :eek: I got grass in back garden & I really dont want him killin that!! I'll have to teach him where to potty in garden from now on too!

Axl is allowed to pee at certain spots as well when walking. He never really was pushy about it until my little poodle Stella started to walk with us, once I had him better controlled, and SHE was constantly trying to pee on every tree. Stella parks her but as high as she can up on the trees and wees. Then he started to mark where she went. for a while after that he was trying to pee on every tree, but we are now getting back to normal.

As for destroying lawns, trees, etc. My young cedars in the back were lush and green ...now the end cedar turned black and brown at the bottom from Axl lifting his leg, and finally in just one year, I had to cut it all off and it left a hole to the trunk. My 85' x 70' plus yard is completely destroyed from Axl peeing, pooing, and every time he barks he scruffs his back feet and has torn it all up. I had the most beautiful lawn and it looks worse then the school park. It usually takes two summers before your lawn will get back to normal when u have a large dog. And u must water down the lawn in the summers for the urine. But it eventually comes back with some loving care.

Now that he is maturing, and slowing down with peeing and pooing, and scruffing his feet, Im excited to get my lawn back this coming summer.

Is it strange that my female lifts a leg?:eek:
She never,ever tries to go on anything when we are walking the street,even as a youngster.I think it's because we walk the street away from any bushes/hydrants etc(we have no sidewalks here or street lamps for that matter)When we hit the hills though all bushes are "hers".As she squats and marks her spot she lifts her back left leg,always the left. I never see her do this at home.

Back