Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Your thoughts on AI, shipped semen, etc

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by DobieLvr, Feb 27, 2009.

1. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

Rumors are floating that, among other new initiatives, the AKC is investigating the feasibility of a pilot program where they would fund semen collection and storage of certain key sires, making it available for future generations. I have no idea if this initiative will fly, but perhaps this is a good time to talk about the use of frozen semen in our breeding programs.

What are your thoughts on the "chilly dogs" - the Poodles sire (from Westminsters) was a Champion in the 80's

• Like Like x 1
  2. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Yikes. I don't know about this. Are they using this kind of semon now? Is that what you were talking about with the poodle?

3. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

If the AKC would have the control over how the semen were to be used, then, NO, I do not think it would be a good idea. Without the donor's owner having say, I don't think they would get very many Top Dogs to participate. JMO

4. Panama

Yes, this method of breeding is being used, however, the Donor's owner decides what bitches the stored semen is used with. This is not something I feel the AKC should have control over.

5. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

Ya know... lets just take the fun out of this all together... find the perfect dog of each breed and just clone it. There... no more conformation. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

Just think - the popular stud syndrome can now spread through out the world!

7. Panama

Some already claim the bloodlines, that's sad enough.

8. deladobies

deladobies Member

Im totally 100% against clonning and this doesnt sound like a very good idea either.. I hate that people are trying to play god...

One day everyone will look, sound and smell exactly the same...(doesnt that sound like fun) blahhhh

9. Miller Dobes

Miller Dobes Novitiate

I agree, Dela. Since there is no perfect dog (in my opinion), a debate on just which one should be cloned would come up....lol.....

I guess, frozen semen give choices to breeders. I have heard it produces smaller litters, but am not sure on that. Do you guys know? With the cost of shipping, it's an alternative that many use.

Becky

10. Dobified

Dobified Jr Member

There were a few dogs at the Westminster show recently whose sires had been dead 20 yrs already. Pretty neat of you ask me and better then cloning. ;)

11. Miller Dobes

Miller Dobes Novitiate

Do you remember which dogs? That is pretty neat...

Sure was a nice entry at the garden, I watched some of the tape over and over. Would of loved to be there? Did any of you go?

Becky

12. Panama

I believe one was the Standard Poodle. Sire has been gone for something like 20 yrs.

13. OldDrumDobes

OldDrumDobes New Member

I have to say I think Frozen and fresh chilled semen give breeders the chance to go outside of the dogs in their area/country or to dogs who have been gone years and years
    I don't think AKC needs to have any control over it. The owner of the stud dog should be the one making the calls. And beyond that sometimes you don't have alot of semen, so people want to save it for themselves at some point.
    The additional cost is there, but it's not that bad, it cost to fly your bitch to a stud dog on the other side of the country as well. The most expensive part is progesterone testing and the actually surgical implant. The shipping is usually $80 around here.
    As far as size of litters I have done one surgical implant litter and got 9 puppies and know of many others w/ large litters. The key is doing the implant when the bitch is ovulating (you cannot control the amount of eggs she has/this will influencel the amount of pups), having a vet who REALLY knows what their doing and having a high semen count.
    I truly think it's a great tool

14. Miller Dobes

Miller Dobes Novitiate

Thanks for that info, Drum. Not planning on any breedings but it is good information to know.

Good luck with your beautiful babies.

Becky

15. burlysoldier

burlysoldier Member

Alright I'm gonna step up ask the tough question. How do they "collect semen" from a dog? Who does the rub-n- tug? EWWWWWW!! When your done do you just chuck it into the fridge next to the casserole?
    You can call me immature but I dont care. Givin a dog an HJ is disgusting. lol!

16. Panama

17. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

Wouldnt they just stick a REALLY BIG NEEDLE into the man parts??

*glares at the boys* LOL

18. vanLayne

vanLayne New Member

I think it is a great thing. It allows the option of breeding to dogs who it might have otherwise been impossible to breed to. (Death, Distance...)

I am breeding my first litter this fall, and I am using frozen semen. If the owner had not stored on the dog I want to breed to it wouldn't be possible because he passed away last year. He only sired two litters and IMO that is a shame... he was a very good dog who has produced well. Thankfully, she collected him and stored quite a bit of his semen.

They wont register frozen breedings in Germany, but they will in some other areas of the world. (Netherlands & Belgium are two that I know that allow it) I am glad that the AKC allows it.