Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Your outside deck

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Nick, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Nick

Nick Notable member

I know a lot of you have REALLY nice and big backyards, so I'm asking: can I move in? Kidding!

Seriously though, I'm getting a patio cover built onto my house and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do the "flooring" in. Either concrete or synthetic wood (or anything else you can think of?)

But I'm afraid of the dogs running around on it, will I have to replace it in a year? Do your dogs run around on your deck? If so, does it ruin the material? If not, what kind of material is it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We have a wood deck and trust me our dogs torture the thing with all of the playing and running around, not to mention having to shovel the snow off and that also scrapes it up.
    I don't have any experience with the synthetic wood so I can't give you an opinion there, but I've heard it isn't as strong as real wood. I'm sure the concrete would hold up the longest, but it probably isn't the most comfortable option for the dogs.

Here's one of our deck and we built it 11 years ago. This summer was the first time it needed re-staining, so that's not bad at all. We also added a gate so it's nice to just let the dogs out there and not have to worry about them.
    She was guarding her beloved sheep a week or two ago. ;)

Guarding sheep 2 Aug 18 11 sized.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Ours is cedar wood too. That's all we've ever had so I have no experience with anything thing else. We have always just left it natural and it does get dirty! I've power washed this before and couldn't believe how brown it got! (instead of this blah gray) But it gets dirty again fast ! I remember trying to be so careful after all my work! lol Yea, didn't last. I like gray, don't you? :whistle::rofl:

There are a couple of boards that got a 'bad spot' and do need replacing, especially since Kali helped dig them out ! But all in all, I like wood.

We put in a gate like Jan....it keeps the dogs in..........
    IMG_9210 [1024x768].JPG

.....and the grandkids too! :D
    IMG_9219 [1024x768].JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

When you say "patio", do you mean an area that is right on the ground or raised up and framed with lumber up off the ground? Patios are usually done in crushed stone, flagstones, concrete tiles, poured concrete with or without ceramic tile, brick, dyed and stamped concrete, etc. All those materials are very durable, but the crushed stone could get flung around by doggy paws at full speed :) The composite decking that goes over joists such as Trex and other brands is very durable but more expensive than some natural woods. The ultimate is ironwood, but it's about $2.50/lineal foot for 1x4 boards! I haven't seen a price on it yet or worked with it myself yet, but Azek decking is looking good.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Aer

Aer Active Member

We had a wooden patio but after the wood rotted and the bugs were living underneath it we now have a concrete slab for our patio that's curved around the house. It stands up to anything and it smooths out Aer's nails when it starts running full blast to do a perameter check (basically running the length of the backyard looking for squirrels to chase). The wooden floors in the house have certainly gotten a workout... ^__^;;;

• Like Like x 1
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

LOL, yes dog feet can do a number on wood for sure.

Oh yeah, I suppose if you live in an area where bugs are more prevalent that would be a problem with wood.