Your Dobermans Nails

My dogs nails got way too long. Now I'm doing them every 3-4 days to get them short again. Question: how far should I go? What do I look for? She has black nails & I don't want to make her bleed!!

My dogs nails got way too long. Now I'm doing them every 3-4 days to get them short again. Question: how far should I go? What do I look for? She has black nails & I don't want to make her bleed!!
Are you dremeling? If you are, I watch for an area of white in the middle of the nail. I stop when I see that and just dremel around it to round it off.

Here's a link to a great thread on trimming.
Misc/Other - Nail grooming tips | Doberman Chat Community

Wow what a great, instructive video Jess! I'm so glad you posted it - I will try working Pippi into this approach. Big challenge with her is that she never likes to be on her back for any length of time - I think something may have happened to her involving her belly prior to being rescued. It took forever for me to get her to let me touch her belly - she does now, but she's the only dog I've ever known that does not like belly rubs, and any attempts at getting her on her back are impossible unless you hold her in position on her back, but I can't Dremel her and hold her in place at the same time. Definitely this is worth working on to get to where you're at with your dogs. Thank you so much for posting that video!

Wow what a great, instructive video Jess! I'm so glad you posted it - I will try working Pippi into this approach. Big challenge with her is that she never likes to be on her back for any length of time - I think something may have happened to her involving her belly prior to being rescued. It took forever for me to get her to let me touch her belly - she does now, but she's the only dog I've ever known that does not like belly rubs, and any attempts at getting her on her back are impossible unless you hold her in position on her back, but I can't Dremel her and hold her in place at the same time. Definitely this is worth working on to get to where you're at with your dogs. Thank you so much for posting that video!
I really do NOT recommend forcing them on their backs. It is a good way to make them panic and bite. Guess where that bite will land? Your face. But, if she will lay on her side you can do them that way, too. The on the back position is just easiest for controlling and keeping them from getting away. But it is really only recommended if you've had them since a pup and had the chance to get them completely used to being handled.

If you have never dremeled before,it might be challenging.Funny how some dogs have no fear from a 250lb man but turn into a fraidychicken at the sound of a vacuum cleaner or dremel tool.
Start the grinder before the dog enters the room;)Treat,turn off,treat,on,treat.Get them used to the noise is no big deal.
Daisy is almost dozing as I do the first paw,starts getting fidgety on the second.Get maybe one or two nails of a back and she needs a break.Throw the ball a bit,continue.

Malina is very much like my "Terrors",.. they and she don't like their nails touched. So, I either have to knuckle down and get after the dogs for not being cooperative or just do it the easy way :D I take them to my vet and they will do them for free. My "Terrors" also go to the groomer every 6 weeks and they will get done there too. I will add though, Malina is much more tolerant than the "Terrors" :rolleyes: but, still very much like, "hey, that's mine and you can leave it alone!"

I know this is going to sound a bit silly, but I think she'll be ok with the Dremel because . . . er . . . I actually have gotten her used to an electric toothbrush, which really wasn't that difficult, and has a very similar noise.

I know I'll probably get beaten up a bit for even thinking about using an electric toothbrush on my dog, but I'm doing that in an effort to avoid having to put her under every year just to clean her canines. It just seems so wasteful and unnecessarily dangerous to me, but I have a hard time keeping the tartar buildup off of her canines with manual brushing (other teeth are pearly whites), but with the electric the tartar just seems to vanish, sooooo - I worked her up to it over a few weeks and now she's fine with it as long as I don't overdo it (just on the canines).

I've already been working the Dremel in, and she's getting used to the sound although she gives me a look that says "just where do you think you think you're putting that?" We're taking it slow.

I'm definitely not forcing her on her back - that'll take a long time for us to work on in a safe way, and while I've started on it - it's pretty clear that she's been traumatized in the past in some way when she's exposed her belly. She will sort of do it on her own when she's on the couch when she wants me to give her a good throat or neck scratch, and she lets me touch her belly - but the look on her face tells it all - "I trust you mom, but I really don't like this".

I can still get to her paws when she's sitting or laying down on her belly - it's just a bit tougher especially on those back paws.

Also, when the Dremel enters the picture, the best we can do so far is either get her to sit or 'down'. She won't lay on her side - she has to know and see whats going on at all times, and to sniff the Dremel. I haven't actually done her nails with it yet, but so far all she does is lay there, sniff the Dremel, and wait to see what I'm going to do next. So far so good.

Ugh, I just did both of ours again and I can never believe how strong and defiant Della is when she wants to be. I literally had to lay on her, but we got it done. :eekwtf:

Ugh, I just did both of ours again and I can never believe how strong and defiant Della is when she wants to be. I literally had to lay on her, but we got it done. :eekwtf:
Sounds like Kali she is 100% opposed to the Dremal.. And now all i can do i be sneaky and get a nail or two here and there when the opportunity presents itself with the clippers. Mars actually prefers the dermal over the clippers which is odd since he is afraid of everything that plugs in and makes any type of noise.. And Demi as usual is tolerant of just about anything you throw at her, she fears nothing.

And Demi as usual is tolerant of just about anything you throw at her, she fears nothing.
LOL, that sounds like Albert too, but he did fuss last time I did it since he saw Della fussing before him. This time he was fine when Della was in another room.

Just wanted to thank marinegeekswife for making the dremeling video. I've been trying to explain it to a non local friend for a while and not finding any good videos, until I found yours, which also led me to this site. Your video was perfect, just what I was looking for.

Just wanted to thank marinegeekswife for making the dremeling video. I've been trying to explain it to a non local friend for a while and not finding any good videos, until I found yours, which also led me to this site. Your video was perfect, just what I was looking for.
Oh good! It makes me so happy to hear when the video helps folks. :)

Back