Your "Dobe Mobile"

Brioddy

I am in the market for a new vehicle, and one of the top priorities is making sure there's enough room for my boy! I've been looking at gas saving little hatchbacks, but just by looking at photos and not in person it's hard to tell how big or small it really is inside. Fuel efficiency is important to me because we like to travel :) but none of that matters if the mutt doesn't fit! An all wheel or four wheel drive option is also on the list. We currently ride around in a Dodge Ram with the extended cab in the back which he is crowded in, the seats are narrow he has to sit sideways just to fit. So we definitely want something with folding rear seats so he can have the whole cargo area to himself.

So what are your Dobes riding around in? My boy is at the top of the size range typical for a Dobe, possibly slightly oversize and he is 14 months.

IMG_1204.JPG

I am in the market for a new vehicle, and one of the top priorities is making sure there's enough room for my boy! I've been looking at gas saving little hatchbacks, but just by looking at photos and not in person it's hard to tell how big or small it really is inside. Fuel efficiency is important to me because we like to travel :) but none of that matters if the mutt doesn't fit! An all wheel or four wheel drive option is also on the list. We currently ride around in a Dodge Ram with the extended cab in the back which he is crowded in, the seats are narrow he has to sit sideways just to fit. So we definitely want something with folding rear seats so he can have the whole cargo area to himself.

So what are your Dobes riding around in? My boy is at the top of the size range typical for a Dobe, possibly slightly oversize and he is 14 months.

View attachment 71727
What about a carpet kit and cap for the bed of the Ram?

Well it's technically my moms vehicle, and it has terrible gas mileage. Plus I live in Florida where it gets deathly hot, AC is a must have!

IMG_1111.JPG IMG_1268.JPG I went cheap and bought a minivan, can hold 2 people 3 dog kennels and most of my bite gear. Hope to upgrade to a diesel sprinter van or big ford transit. But always have the Jeep if we aren't training, just for some fun.

I have an AWD Edge (2009) that I bought used about 4.5 years ago that I absolutely love! My last boy was very tall and could stand up, just fine. If you can, get leather; it's so much easier to clean! We also use it for drive-ins, camping, 'yuppie off-roading,' and I would like to get a boat and/or camper someday so need the towing. I also like that Fords are generally cheaper to insure/maintain. It's get about 24/25 mpg on the highway.

Tobers:
IMG_3245_zpsrqcqsdlp.jpg

Dingo:
IMG_20160905_164548005_zpsf5aopf4r.jpg

I have an AWD Edge (2009) that I bought used about 4.5 years ago that I absolutely love! My last boy was very tall and could stand up, just fine. If you can, get leather; it's so much easier to clean! We also use it for drive-ins, camping, 'yuppie off-roading,' and I would like to get a boat and/or camper someday so need the towing. I also like that Fords are generally cheaper to insure/maintain. It's get about 24/25 mpg on the highway.

Tobers:
IMG_3245_zpsrqcqsdlp.jpg

Dingo:
IMG_20160905_164548005_zpsf5aopf4r.jpg
My mom has a 16 Edge and loves it.

Toyota RAV4
My mom had one, until she dumped it for the Edge. She had it several years.
Overall a decent vehicle. Ran good.
Had a couple issue, AC related but fixed after a couple visits to the stealership.
The other issue, brakes. For whatever reason that vehicle went through brakes horribly.
They kept fixing with new Toyota parts. And kept having the issue.
I strongly believe if one upgraded rotors to something like an R1 drilled rotor and aftermarket ceramic pads the issue would be resolved. That stuff would cost no more than stealership parts prices.

The Edge looks nice, and 25 mpg is decent! I also haven't ruled out mini vans, but I do a lot of outdoors type activities and wanted something slightly more capable. What I really want is a 4x4 Chevy Tracker but they are not the easiest to find and I think 2004 was the last year they made them, drat!

I have a 2010 4X4 Explorer and love it. It has 3rd row seating and I always keep that down, and sometimes the 2nd row gets folded down too if I'm hauling something big.

This is with just the 3 row seat folded down.
Flowers in back of Explorer June 14 15.jpg

And of course it has to be geared for a Doberman. :D
Doberman sticker on Explorer Mar 11 17.JPG

We just went through the car selection process. Our Dobe was one of the key reasons we actually decided to get a new car. Wife wants to be able to travel. She wants me to come with her sometimes. I despise boarding my Dobe.

We compared Toyota Rav4, Subaru Forester, Prius Wagon and Honda CR-V. We pretty much wanted 4 wheel drive for when it's slick out.

CR-V won. Better cargo capacity. Better looking.

The 2016 we got is rated for 32 MPG highway and we have indeed achieved that (this with my wife driving, so I know it is capable of higher MPG.) The 2017 has even more cargo capacity and higher MPG, but I prefer the '16.

With CR-Vs if you want to go older, this current body configuration started in, I think 2013 or 12. '17 is a complete redesign. You could go older too. Not sure of your wishes and budget.

We are trying to sell our 2000 CR-V after 15 years of ownership.

The Edge looks nice
I bought an Edge about 1 year ago. The only thing I don't like about it is the rear seats don't fold completely flat to the cargo area. The back seat cushions are too thick to keep it from going flat / level. I have to put a piece of rigid foam under his crate to keep it level.

After driving different types of minivans for 20 years. I was ready to downsize. My kids complained I wouldn't be able to drive their friends/teams around. We were picking up the pup in a month also.
So I went giant an older model Nissan Armada. I absolutely love it. It sucks on gas but there is plenty of room and I feel incredibly safe with some of the distracted drivers on the road.

My x got the best dog car ever in our split so I don't have it anymore but I would definitely recommend a Toyota FJ you should still be able to find one with low miles. They quit making them just a few years ago. It got okay gas mileage, was comfy, had awesome off road capabilities stock, and it had a TON of room for the pups and .... you could hose it out not joking you really could just take a garden hose to the inside. Which is perfect for that unexpected throw up, wet dogs, or any unexpected mishap.

@phedre 's post reminded me of the Honda Element. This one's no longer made either, but I believe the interior is similar, if not larger in size, and similar in its ability to be cleaned out.

I have been wanting a Chevy Suburban. That would hold the dogs, cats and birds crates if we had to evacuate. I would remove all the seats except the two front ones. I've looked at other vehicles but my heart is set on a Suburban.:biggrin:

I have been wanting a Chevy Suburban. That would hold the dogs, cats and birds crates if we had to evacuate. I would remove all the seats except the two front ones. I've looked at other vehicles but my heart is set on a Suburban.:biggrin:

Boy they suck on gas but once you have one you will be spoiled by all the space! Plus the ability to tow is nice too. We love our '95 suburban and are currently looking to upgrade to a newer used one.

We usually have the rear bench removed and the 2 lay on the middle bench seat with room to stretch out. But we knew we would be carting around my parent's dog in the pic below so we just folded the middle seat up flat. There then is a giant space for them to lay on. The seat's cover is canvas and laying flat to help collect dirt and hairs. Still room in the trunk for a kennel even without the rear seat removed.
FB_IMG_1492504454063.jpg

If you are looking for smaller and better on fuel, my parents have been happy with their Chevy Traverse. Rear seat folds flat leaving room for a kennel, gear and 4 passengers.
FB_IMG_1492505934811.jpg

Boy they suck on gas but once you have one you will be spoiled by all the space! Plus the ability to tow is nice too. We love our '95 suburban and are currently looking to upgrade to a newer used one.

We usually have the rear bench removed and the 2 lay on the middle bench seat with room to stretch out. But we knew we would be carting around my parent's dog in the pic below so we just folded the middle seat up flat. There then is a giant space for them to lay on. The seat's cover is canvas and laying flat to help collect dirt and hairs. Still room in the trunk for a kennel even without the rear seat removed.
View attachment 71745

If you are looking for smaller and better on fuel, my parents have been happy with their Chevy Traverse. Rear seat folds flat leaving room for a kennel, gear and 4 passengers.
View attachment 71746
I wanted the standard Suburban so we could evacuate and pull a trailer if a hurricane comes through. With 4 big birds, 2 cats and 3 dogs, they all need their own crate. I thought the Suburban would be perfect. Love the picture of your crew enjoying their space. :)

I'd love an Expedition but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit on my side of the garage since there is a stairwell in front of my parking spot. I know the gas mileage wouldn't be as good but I just don't put that many miles on and if you are on a road trip it goes way up anyway. Hubby's full size F150 gets well over 20 mpg for all around driving so they've improved the efficiency a lot lately.

Back