• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Yeast in and on the ears

Nick59

My 16 week pup had his ears cropped by my vet at 11 weeks old. After the crop we waited 2 weeks for ears to heal before we started posting. I took him back to the vet to have them post his ears and but on the last post I noticed that his ears we wet at the bottom so I took the wraps off and took him back and they said he had a little yeast in the ears and a little on the back side of the ears. They gave meds to drop in his ears but told me to use alcohol on a gaze to scrub the back side of his ears. Is that safe to do? Or is there a better way to get rid of the yeast on the back of his ears? Is a very mild case of yeast.

I think keeping them dry and clean is the best bet and use breathable tape on a minimum basis on the ear surface. Some of the better breathable tapes are Kendall or J & J Zona's tape.
Adhesives, Tapes and Removers - Canine

I'm not sure if the alcohol would help with yeast but you could try some probiotics and keep the ears as dry as possible.

I agree with the above. You should try to post yourself instead of having the vet do it. There are plenty of videos to show you how and we are here to help as well. Yes it is very important that the ears are completely dry when reposting and also if they get wet they need to be changed/reposted.

His ears look very good now just cleaned an kept them dry like you guys said. I'm going to post myself now. I bought the breathable tape. But what type of sticky tape should I buy so that it stays in place? Thank you y'all are always very helpful I appreciate it.

Is there any other way to post ears than using tape? My vet has wrapped them an I have done the best I can to but he gets them out in like 2 hours every single time. I'm almost fed up with trying I was hoping maybe you had another method

Are you using backer rods and backtaping and then taping? If so then they are not in deep enough. Do you have any pictures when he's posted? Don't give up.

View attachment 73958 So here is a picture of everything I used.
I started with the 1/2inch backer rod, trimmed the zip-tie a bit shorter that the rod length (the zip-tie did not go into the ear canal and faced outward not against the ear). I attached the zip-tie to the rod with 3 pieces of Zonas tape. Then I placed a little piece of Kleenex tissue to cover the bottom part of the post (the part that goes into the ear - for a little padding) taped that to the rod. Then I back taped the whole rod with Zonas tape (except the very bottom that was covered by the tissue). After I made the post and the ear was dry I put Gold Bond power on the outer/fur part of the ear and then inserted the rod deep into the ear, stretching the ear onto the post. Then I took the Elasticon tape, starting at the top and gently wrapped the whole ear all the way down. ( the picture shows a 2 inch Elastikon tape but I cut the the width in half to make a 1 inch width - much easier to handle). You will definitely need the adhesive remover. Because you've had outer ear yeast I would just try using the Elastikon on the tip, middle and base. I know it's not the traditional way of posting but it worked for me. With the Elastikon you just need to gently wrap it around the ear and then press on it so it's not tight even though it's stretchy. Sorry for the long post.

I'll give it a try I'll have order some of those things online. When see that bottom part pop out I feel like dropping to the ground. Lol. My breeder told me to do the normal method but use a little torbot bonding cement at the bottom. I have it an adhesive romover. Does that work as well? Thank you for the help.

I'll give it a try I'll have order some of those things online. When see that bottom part pop out I feel like dropping to the ground. Lol. My breeder told me to do the normal method but use a little torbot bonding cement at the bottom. I have it an adhesive romover. Does that work as well? Thank you for the help.
I have the bonding stuff as well but didn't use it until the end when I was using nasal strips at the tips. The Elastikon you can probably find at a feed store in the horse section and buy just a roll to see if you like it. It's super sticky and stretchy. To get it off the ear I would soak a q-tip in adhesive remover and then rub it on the tape and gently pull it off the ear.

I agree that the rods aren't going deep enough. That's why they pop out. I didn't do my dogs posting but from what I saw their ears are very deep and someone on this forum mentioned that the ears even curve before the ear drum, so there's low risk of hitting it. Try putting the rods deeper while you pull up the ear.

I agree with @Kaiser2016 if it's just the bottom popping out it's just not deep enough. And from what I've learned on this forum Sometimes it's the crop and how much bell is left that can make it more challenging to keep the posts in. That's why I asked for pictures.

Back