Yak Cheese

Kswoodssue

Hot Topics Subscriber
We picked up a couple of the hard Yak Cheese chews down in central Ohio Amish country last Tuesday and Sasha loves them. She carries them up and down the stairs, and they are lasting many times longer than the bully sticks. I read something about tooth breakage, but doubt that is an issue for healthy Doberman teeth. They are said to be digestible. Any pros or cons you have had?

I gave one to Phoebe not too long before we lost her and she downed it in a fraction of the time of a bully stick. That said, I buy the huge bully sticks and use a Bully Buddy.
With bull stick Feb 12 23.JPG

My 3 dogs won't even bother with the yak chews. I even soaked it a little and put it in the microwave (per directions), nope.... they turn their
noses up and just walk away. :/

Wow, interesting feedback on the yak chews. I always thought they were hard enough for a Doberman but after I bought one, I read somewhere that if they would bite off a piece that it would be hard to digest so then I never gave it to him. I'm sure Kaiser would love it since he loves cheese, but unfortunately, I don't trust it for him. Agree that the bully sticks don't last long enough unless they are the type that you can hand pick one by one, but then you don't get bulk pricing that way and they're too expensive like that.

Agree that the bully sticks don't last long enough unless they are the type that you can hand pick one by one, but then you don't get bulk pricing that way and they're too expensive like that.
I buy the 12" monster ones here and you can get them in bulk, plus they're all huge and last a long time.

Rip loves the yak chews! I love that they can eat all of it, even the end by soaking the end piece then toss in the microwave and it turns into a big cheeto puff :D

I had no idea you were supposed to microwave them. I just gave it to her and she has chewed and chewed with barely a scratch on it.

I had no idea you were supposed to microwave them. I just gave it to her and she has chewed and chewed with barely a scratch on it.
Yes, what Jan said. Once the piece is too small for them to safely chew without worry of them swallowing whole, you can soak them for 30 min-an hour then microwave for 30 seconds. They puff up into a safe crunchy Cheeto like thing!

I find the ones that break off/shatter in pieces are poorly stored or old stock that was not rotated out! They shouldn't splinter or shatter into hard pieces. A good yak chew should take tooth scrapes into them and turn a little gummy on the end the dog is working on.

Once the piece is too small for them to safely chew without worry of them swallowing whole, you can soak them for 30 min-an hour then microwave for 30 seconds. They puff up into a safe crunchy Cheeto like thing!
Wow I would have never thought of that!

We love yak chews! I'm not allowed to give gilly actual bones as part of his training, we avoid rawhide like the plague, and while bully sticks are great, gilly can chomp one so fast and they're so expensive. So I highly recommend the chews! And I follow the same cheese puff routine rits does at the end kf the yak chews life... those are his favorites!

I'm not allowed to give gilly actual bones as part of his training
Because of HRD training? I never thought of that. Asha gets a raw beef rib about once a week. She gets the meat off of it then gnaws on it for several days. It's an outdoor thing, can't happen in the house, but I never thought about it for a HRD dog.

Back