Would you let your dobie do this?

DD4MSpock

Hot Topics Subscriber
I came upon this video of dobermans doing "funny" things. Look at the action starting at 1:18 in the video. The dobie is appearing to dance and support himself with just his hind legs while he dances.

With the propensity for dobies to get such illnesses as "Wobblers," etc. would you allow your dobie to stand upright and/or walk on two legs for prolonged periods of time? I'd be a bit worried.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I came upon this video of dobermans doing "funny" things. Look at the action starting at 1:18 in the video. The dobie is appearing to dance and support himself with just his hind legs while he dances.

With the propensity for dobies to get such illnesses as "Wobblers," etc. would you allow your dobie to stand upright and/or walk on two legs for prolonged periods of time? I'd be a bit worried.

Thoughts? Thanks!
There's a whole video of that dog "working out" with the TV. I think I posted it on this forum some time ago when I came across it. She appears to know the routine and is probably the same dog that is working out on the TV, and just started doing it again on its own. The haunches and fitness of this Dobe make it look to me like there's no problems at all. Wobblers disease is suspected to be genetic, and/or contributed to by high protein diet. I couldn't find a mention that extreme exercise is a contributor. I thought the two most cringe-worthy moments were the Dobe being agitated by the hand while in the bed, and the puppy playing with the toddler. Both the humans in those videos could have easily been hurt had the dog or puppy taken a different route. My puppy at that age in a yard with a toddler & frisbee would not have meant to hurt the kid, but absolutely would have mowed the kid down in hard play.

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
That hind leg walking looks very familiar!

Yes, I've done it with my Dobes, and I like to have them walk across the room to me like that and even spin in circles. I never used to think about it years ago, but what I do think about a bit these days is the possibility of knee injury. I don't know how much a possibility it is. I still do it. Seems to me it's a great workout for their legs, back and core. It is also a good way to give them some exercise if you don't feel like taking them for a walk.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
My slight concern would be possibility of knee injury with all that weight strain on the knee. The dog is cow hocked so not the best conformation any to be putting strain on the joints but it does look like the dog is fit so that helps a lot. But if it's not done often then probably fine for a cute trick or two. I would use a peanut ball to give them something to put their front paws on. It definitely does tire them out quick!

I can't watch any doberman videos with sound. There is almost always barking in them and Ripley gets mad 😡 😂

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
If the dog doesn't have any joint problems I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're not asking them to do unnatural positions.

There are some other things in that video, like trying to steal something off a plate, then giving the dog some of it, that I would never allow though.

Last edited: