1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Worms!!!! Treatment/Preventative Suggestions

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Jasmine0430, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

Jasmine just can't catch a break. After her bout of giardia cleared up a while back she started packing on the weight, but has slowed down again recently. I was starting to suspect worms, but I wanted to have hope that her preventatives were holding up as her energy and appetite were as high as ever. She was her usual happy go lucky self.

I gave her heartguard yesterday in the evening as it was around her scheduled deworming time and today she's just been pooping roundworms with her stools all day. Not a massive amount of worms, but there were a good 2-3 of them twined with her stools each time. The most recent movement she passed a few worms with her stool and one longish one got caught in her butt with just the end poking out. Obviously she freaked out. Had to pull it out with a baby wipe. After she just sat in the dober "I'm scared" pose waiting for me to finish cleaning and bleaching the area. Poor girl.

What preventatives do you all use for your dobes? It has been a good 15 years since my last doberman or pet even, so I went with what I knew when given the choice of several brands by the vet, but probably a lot has changed. As I mentioned, she's on heartguard and for fleas/ticks/mosquitoes she's on Frontline topical version. Suggestions are very, very welcome.

2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Notable member

You actually SAW worms? Are you sure? I've heard of the eggs being visible, they are supposed to look like grains of rice, but full adult wiggling worms?

Is the worm risk high there? It is important to find out what the risks are to pets in your area before considering treatment options. Vets will often push medicines and some of them are unnecessary.

3. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

Yes, actually saw them 100%. They're whiteish and resemble spaghetti noodles. They were not wiggling as they were very much dead or paralyzed which is why they can be dumped from the body. The grains of salt one are usually pieces of tapeworms I thought?

Worms are a bit high risk here as the concept of having dogs and cats as house pets is still a relatively new idea/concept in Korea. So, not everyone feels the need to vaccinate/give preventives to their pets as they see it as either unnecessary/bothersome or more than they want to spend (both reasons are disgusting). Vet care in Korea is pretty inexpensive in my opinion but to some bad owners "it's just a dog/cat."

Vets don't seem to push for unnecessary vaccinations or medication here from what I see- which I'm thankful for, but I'm also at a loss to what is considered mostly unnecessary now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

@Ddski5 just read through it, thanks.

In Korea we also have a heavy mosquito population and also a form of super mosquito called a mountain mosquito(?)(name translated directly from Korean). The mosquitoes are around pretty much all year round even in winter when temps drop to -25c as Mountain Mosquitoes can handle cold weather quite well.

It seems like heartguard is the preventitive of choice for deworming according to that thread and wondercide to prevent mosquito bites. I'm not sure wondercide is sold here in Korea, but I'll try to find out.

Still open to other people's suggestions and recommendations too!

6. Ddski5

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

It seems we're in the same boat about mosquitoes being no joke. AdvabAdva Multi? Is it a Mosquito-cide?

To be honest, Jasmine suffering through this roundworm breaks my heart. She's not suffering per say as she's being completely normal, but I can't help but feel like I could have prevented the roundworm somehow even though she hasn't been exposed to anywhere but my rooftop.

Guilty dobermom thinking has started. :(

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  8. Ddski5

FE07B2B5-E081-4DC7-BCAA-464B03808FE3.png
    We have a lot of squirrels in the back yard and my past dogs got fleas from them. So this covers worms and fleas.

It says once a month but I do every 45 days. It states and vet says not to worry if you forget to give on exact monthly day, that it’s okay to start back anytime if you forget. So apparently this stuff is really strong that you can extend the monthly application.

I am going to be vigil and observant and go with natural remedies during on our winter months.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

I'm going to ask my vet if this is available at all in Korea.

In the meantime, guess Jasmine will just have to keep using Frontline and maybe a spray too if i can find a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

But does your Mountain Mosquitoes carry Heartworm Microfilaria? Here in the U.S. only certain kind of Mosquitoes and only Female ones carry it.

Heartguard will not kill the actual worm. It will kill the Microfilaria. Which is before they turn into worms. Once they turn into adults stronger drugs are needed. It can take up to 6mo before this happens.

We do not give anything for Heartworm. We test 2x's a year. May and late November. If they do come up positive for Microfilaria, then we would just give Regular Heartguard and Not the Plus! Then retest in a month or two.
    Because of where we live you shouldn't have to give all year round!

For owners that want to give all year or for 6mo then I would give prevention every 45days (not beyond) and not the every 30days. No need to give all year because of cold weather dropping below 57degs. Because the Microfilaria stop developing in the Mosquito.

If giving deworming meds I would for sure give a probiotic. Because meds will disrupt gut bacteria.

We always get poop tests done 2x's a year.
    Other things for deworming.
    ***Food Grade*** only Diatomaceous Earth mixed in food. Wet the food first. You don't want your dog or you breathing in the powder.
    Yes the Organic Plain Pumpkin seeds. Grind them in a coffee grinder.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Your pup may have gotten the worms from the mother and they have developed further. It takes more than a couple treatments to rid the pup of worms and reinfestation of round worms in certain environments are common. They lick areas in the environment that contain the eggs. The eggs are shed out through feces but usually incubate for 10 days or so before they are infective so that is why keeping the areas cleaned well is important. They can come from roaches, rodents, birds, other animals. They are microscopic so you would not see them in the environment with the naked eye.
    I would get one of the worms and place it in a container and take to your vet for positive identification even though you know it is most likely round worms since it looks like strands of spaghetti about 4”-6” long.
    Has Jasmine been coughing at all? If left untreated they migrate to different organs in the body. Lungworms can become a serious problem as well and those are usually associated with snails and slugs. Not trying to scare you but she needs to be dewormed.
    Your climate is somewhat similar to ours in that you have heat, high humidity, mosquitos year round, rodents, roaches and birds. Lol
    Heart Gard does treat against Round worms and Hookworms as well as heartworms but still fecal tests should be done every few months as a pup until their immune system has developed enough that the worms do not create issues should she get reinfected.
    Pups are at a greater risk of problems from worms because their immune system is not fully developed to handle parasitic infestations.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tropicalbri's

Totally agree!! I have mine on probiotics daily as part of their meals. Human grade DE is fantastic too!!

13. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

Pyrantel pamoate is cheap and mild for young pups and kills a variety of worms... tapeworm needs a different medication. YES you can see worms with the naked eye. Roman my MIL Rottie had NO SIGNS of worms in ANY of his stools (and I was like a poop inspector) took him in for a check up 2 days after I got him and they wormed him. HOLY HELL, he pooped out a HANDFUL of worms, I almost passed out. I had never seen anything like that. I couldn't believe this tiny pup had soo many blood suckers in him. Thank god he passed them all safely. WORMS SUCK.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

@Tropicalbri's she has coughed a few times, but it was usually after inhaling her kibble and not chewing it. Any other time she hasn't coughed at all.

So I should get her dewormed again after I already gave her the heartguard the day before yesterday? I randomly have panacur 250mg 4 tablets or I can get some more heartguard from the vet on Friday if necessary. I know pups can get roundworm from the mom, but this is her 2nd round of heartguard(with me) and in the 1st round there weren't any worms but maybe that was because of the giardia??

@strykerdobe the mountain mosquitoes basically carry everything here. It's not an exaggeration at all when I say they are disease pools. It's so bad that the government routinely sprays neighborhoods with mosquito-cide every few weeks to try to kill them/control them but they usually survive the spraying too. Example of spray down.
    20180809_090210.jpg
    Usual result if human or animal gets bit in any way by mountain mosquitoes and you must go to a hospital or clinic to get tested for a million things. (not my arm, my friend's)
    20180809_090610.jpg

If you are "lucky" enough to get bit by a regular mosquito well....(again my friend-a different one)
    20180809_091024.jpg
    I think I'm going to do the prevention route as it's no joke here, luckily vets already do the 45 day thing between dosing here.

Where can one get Diatomaceous Earth? Is there only one type? Pics appreciated.

@WiglWerm what is Pyrantel pamoate? Is it the actual medicine or ingredient in medication? When Jasmine first pooped out the worms, my first thought was where did she eat bean sprouts then I immediately went to omg those are not bean sprouts those are worms -grabs bleach/water spray to sanitize the cement-

Also, her last poop had just 1 worm buried in it today. Let's see how the rest of the day's #2s fare.

• Wow x 1
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  15. Tropicalbri's

@Jasmine0430 i would not dose her with Heart Gard again. Go to the vet and ask for the meds for round worms. Pyrantel is used for rounds and is also in the Heart Gard plus. Fenbendazole is used for round, hooks and other intestinal parasites.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

@Tropicalbri's okay. I'll try to stop by the vet's office either today or tomorrow (friday) at the latest and ask for just Pyrantel or roundworm trearment and give it to her. Btw, isn't Fenbendazole Panacur?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tropicalbri's

Yes, it’s a broad spectrum parasiticide.

18. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

I have 4 250mg pills of regular panacur at home already.
    20180809_103446.jpg

20180809_103451.jpg

Will these work?:shock:

• Like Like x 1
  19. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

WOW :censored: on those Mountain Mosquitoes! They probably become immune to the chemicals they spray.

I would not double dose on the Heartguard!!!

No there are two types or grades of Diatomaceous Earth. One is FOOD GRADE which you should only use. It will say on the bag or container. And the other is Non-Food Grade or Industrial Grade. The one that is Non Food grade they use in swimming pool filters, also around plants to kill insects. If you give this one to your pets or humans ***YOU WILL KILL THEM***! Industrial grade D.E has a high concentration of silica and can cause severe effects on the body!

Well you can buy it on Amazon, farmers use it so maybe animal feed stores and also restaurants.
    Here is more about Diatomaceous Earth.
    These are only some pics. Lots of others. As you can see it will say FOOD GRADE on the package!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Diatomaceous Earth: Get Rid Of Fleas & Ticks Naturally!
    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/benefits-diatomaceous-earth
    The Benefits Of Diatomaceous Earth For Dogs Internal parasites can be controlled by giving Diatomaceous Earth internally. It is very important to note that it must be food grade – the earth used in gardens and pool filters can damage your dog.
    The Benefits Of Diatomaceous Earth For Dogs
    [​IMG]

Diatomaceous Earth is a dirt cheap way to control external and internal parasites in your dog.

It’s a non-toxic, safe substance made up from crushed fossils of freshwater organisms and marine life. Crushed to a fine powder and observed through a microscope, the particles resemble bits of broken glass.

Diatomacous Earth is deadly to any insect yet completely harmless to animals. Diatomaceous Earth’s mode of action for insect and parasite control is strictly mechanical. The microscopically sharp edges contact the insect or parasite, and pierce their protective coating, so they soon dehydrate and die. The larvae is affected in the same way.

The Benefits Of Diatomaceous Earth For Dogs
    Internal parasites can be controlled by giving Diatomaceous Earth internally. It is very important to note that it must be food grade – the earth used in gardens and pool filters can damage your dog.

Diatomaceous Earth can eliminate roundworms, whipworms, pinworms, and hookworms within seven days of being fed daily.

To be most effective, Diatomaceous Earth should be fed for at least 30 days, to catch all newly hatching eggs or the cycling of the worms through the lungs and back to the stomach.

Another use for Diatomaceous Earth is the control of external parasites and flies. This is achieved by dusting your dog withDiatomaceous Earth, along with his bedding area and surrounding carpeted areas.

Other Uses
    Diatomaceous Earth has also been reported in scientific literature to absorb methyl mercury, e-coli, endotoxins, viruses, organophosphate pesticide residues, drug resides, and protein, perhaps even the proteinaceous toxins produced by some intestinal infections. Given this, Diatomaceous Earth is very useful as a detox solution, digestive aid and colon cleanser.

Dosage
    For dogs, use one tablespoon per day of food grade Diatomaceous Earth in his food for dogs over 55 lbs. and one teaspoon per day for small dogs and puppies. For external parasite control, simply rub the powder at full strength into the coat for fleas and sprinkle on bedding.

This is for Topical use only!
    Bonus! 3 Ingredient Flea & Tick Recipe
    Use this safe and effective flea and tick powder recipe to protect your pet from fleas and ticks:

1. Diatomaceous Earth (DE)
    2. NEEM (dry form)
    3. Yarrow (dry form)
    Simply mix the three together in equal parts and rub the dust mixture into your dog’s coat.

Use caution around the eyes and mouth of your dog as DE can irritate the mucosa. Once the dust settles however, there is no harm.

This Video is for Topical use only!

Cautions
    Make sure you purchase and use food grade DE only. DE can cause irritation on the lungs so please ensure you and your dog don’t inhale any dust.

Also another good read for info!!
    Diatomaceous Earth: 6 Proven Uses & Benefits - Dr. Axe
    Dr. Axe | Health and Fitness News, Recipes, Natural Remediesdiatomaceous-earth
    Some of the most popular diatomaceous earth uses include: pet nutrition products, products used on dogs and cats to kill flees, bed bug-killing treatments, sprays and products used to kill bugs, rodent sprays, water filters, skin care products, toothpastes, foods and beverages, anti-caking and clarifying ingredients used in food manufacturing, supplements and medicines, rubbers and paints used in …

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Jasmine0430

Jasmine0430 Jr Member

@strykerdobe - the Korean mountain mosquitoes are seriously scary. Definitely getting immune to the spraying, but the government is always tweaking the spray because of it.

Alright. No double dose of heartguard. Makes sense. Will see about getting something else.

Okay food grade DE. I will check Korean sites and if not available see if there's a seller on Amazon that will ship here. DE can be used in conjunction with other preventatives correct? Just want to make sure.