Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Working Dobe breeders

Discussion in 'Schutzhund and Ring Sports' started by smccann, Sep 8, 2010.

1. smccann

smccann New Member

I'm seeking input from those of you who work your Dobes in bite sport regarding breeders/lines. I've been researching the breed in general for some time now and would now like to connect with people about what breeders they recommend, what lines stand out etc. I can be reached at smccann@securespeed.net or would be happy to call you if people prefer talking over writing. This is a slow and serious process for me. I'm not rushing into anything and would love to hear from those willing to share thoughts and advice.
    Sincerely,
    Sarah McCann

2. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

Maybe go to DeDe, she is a member on here Do'Urden, i just got my new girl from her and i'm very pleased with her and i always would recommend her as breeder.
    DoUrden Kennel Home

• Like Like x 2
  3. smccann

smccann New Member

Thank you for replying. I really appreciate your taking the time to write. Again if people don't want to post publicly please write to me at smccann@securespeed.net or send me your phone # and I'll call you.
    Thanks again for DeDe's site!
    Sarah

4. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

Sarah - Unfortunately not many Doberman breeders actually work their dogs. It is so much about the conformation show ring. If you try to do both you walk an even tighter rope. Another good place to check is the UDC - UDC - United Doberman Club is the working breed club and as members we are committed to maintaining the Doberman as a working breed.

What level of experience do you have with working dominant breed dogs??? What breeds have you owned and trained??? What time of time and energy commitment can you give??? These are just some questions that working breeders would like to know as it does take training for any dog to turn out great but especially for our working Dobes. Good luck and let us know if you have other questions.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pitts

Pitts Hot Topics Subscriber

Sarah,
    as a working dobe trainer and handler, I have to agree with what Dobs4ever says, most breeders here are in the conformation aspect of the showing and dont work their dogs in bite sports. If you want to get more info on those lines, I would suggest you visit our sister site, USADobermann.net - Home Page - It is a forum specifically for the working dobermann and you might be able to get more of the info you are looking from there.

Tell em Dale sent you.

Hope it helps.

• Like Like x 1
  6. smccann

smccann New Member

Thank you again to those of you who replied. I know I have a lot of research ahead of me and it helps to hear from others!
    Sarah

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lord

Lord Jr Member

I think the best comment was with the question about your experience. A hard dog is not suitable for a first timer. I just found today that a very famous working dog at the age of 9 years old, send the owner for 3 months in the hospital and himself to the vet for his last trip. They are not toys you have to remember that

8. Beauxbaton

Beauxbaton Novitiate

Are you referring to Asco?

9. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

No dog is a Toy and every dog can bite and gets you in the hospital, that has nothing to do with working dog or not and i know you think womans shouldn't have working dogs at all Constantine :p, but believe me, i handle my dogs better then my husband does and in my club are a lot of womans what do a much better job, then the guys do there. Just my quick 2 ct's. ;)

10. Lord

Lord Jr Member

Apollo i didt say women. And not any dog can bite. i think you confuse the kinds of bites. To get a bite and go to the hospital for a shot is different than going to restore body parts. Anyways. My comment doesn't refer to you at all.

11. Silent Dobe

Silent Dobe Well-Known Member

One thing to remember, Dobermanns are NOT German Shepherds (just and example of a normally tolerant dog) , they DO have a threshold for unfair treatment and will come up the leash at you. Some dogs are moreso than others. Silence is an easy handler for me...not so much for anyone else...which is fine for me. But, that may not be so for someone else. Find out your temperamental preferences and explain those to any breeder you may talk to.

• Like Like x 1
  12. smccann

smccann New Member

As happens with these threads sometimes, I think the topic is going a bit off. I understand people trying to give advice in the form of suggesting that I ask my self questions. Just so there's no questions though and so we can get past this, I'm a seasoned, although always learning, dog handler not only in OB going back more years than I want to admit but I also trained and worked with my first PP dog starting back in 1988. I'm also very aware of what dogs are capable of doing. At the age of 8 I was hospitalized by a large 80lb lab/Golden mix who attempted to remove my head from my neck after sneaking up on me from behind. He would have succeeded if someone hadn't knocked him out to pry him off me. I have several other dog related scars now that I'm "aged" but let me be clear NONE of them are from bite sport dogs.

As for a 9 year old dog suddenly sending his owner/handler to the hospital. Not knowing the dog I could only hazard a guess that something went terribly wrong. Either training wise or more likely in my opinion the dog may have been ill. I've known two dogs who become seriously aggressive with little provocation due to illness. One was due to a brain tumor and the other the dog had unknowingly to the owner been hit over the head with a flash light causing hemorage. No matter, I'm always very sorry when I hear of a good dog suddenly having such a serious problem. It makes my heart ache for all involved.

Again, thank you to all of you who have written both publicly and privately.
    Sarah

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pitts

I have a feeling he is talking about Asco, as he recently put his handler in the hospital after he decided to show his handler aggressive side. the handler lost some appendages in the exchange if I remember correctly.
    Its true they are not toys, and any dog that is handler aggressive must be only handled by an experienced handler, and even then that handler must always be on their game and never let their guard down with the dog.

But, I dont think the OP was talking about that kind of dog.

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

and to be honest with you Silent, I have known far more GSDs to be handler aggressive than dobermanns. There are several lines of GSDs out there that are known to be very handler aggressive dogs.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Beauxbaton

Beauxbaton Novitiate

Not sure where you're getting your information from, but you may want to recheck your sources regarding Asco.

15. Pitts

beauxbaton, I am simply relaying what I heard a while back, I am not saying it is factual, but it seems like this is the way I heard it. Now it is completely possible that I have my dogs and incidents mixed up. This happens LOL.
    could you fill us in, since you seem to know the situation, I would love to know the correct story.

thanks

16. Beauxbaton

Beauxbaton Novitiate

Sorry but my personal policy is to not discuss details pertaining to other people's dogs on public forums. I suggest if you want more information you contact his owner/handler or breeder.

17. Pitts

well then I must apologize for asking you, I only did since you were the one that brought up the dog in the first place. Sorry for that.

18. Silent Dobe

Silent Dobe Well-Known Member

Well, to each his own opinion. Not something to debate. I've been ate up by my fair share of GSDs as well.

19. Apollo

Apollo Novitiate

Then you shouldn't have bring it up in the first place, because now we wanna know, what you were regarding too and what you were talking about. you can't just put something out and then say you wont talk about it ;)

---------- Post added at 06:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 AM ----------

I think there is no need to apologize. We are a forum and here to asked and answer question and to help others.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Beauxbaton

Beauxbaton Novitiate

I asked the poster Lord if s/he was referring to the dog in question. That poster did not respond, but if s/he had and had said yes, I would have responded with the same statement provided to poster Pitts, double check your sources. I strongly believe that if you are going to post information, especially information that may be perceived in a negative light, about a dog that is not your own you had better make sure your information is 110% accurate. Alternatively, as is my personal policy, I do not post information at all as it is not my dog or my business to discuss with the world wide web.

Although you may not agree, I hope you can at least understand my point of view.

Again, if you would like additional information regarding this dog I suggest contact his breeder or owner/handler directly.

Apologies to the OP of this thread for my initial question to poster Lord causing it to get sidetracked.

• Like Like x 2