Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Winter Coat Question ?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by C908, Nov 12, 2019.

1. C908

C908 Member

I'm wondering if anyone makes a winter coat for Dobermans that has a zipper ? I have an old coat that just lays on his back and fastens with a velcro strap around the neck and under his belly. I've tried using a sweater but an XXL is hard to get on and off because of his big chest. The problem I've found with velcro is it wears out with frequent use. I can only use a coat on him when we are doing our daily walks otherwise he tries to rip it off.

2. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

The hurtta winter coat we have actually has a buckle on it. It goes under and around his chest so it snaps together on the top! Screenshot_20191112-145210_Chrome.jpg IMG_20190307_202553_362.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I like the buckle idea because it allows the coat to shrink or expand with the dog. A zipper leaves no room for a snug fit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. C908

C908 Member

Thanks, I like the idea of the buckle. It looks like it should be a warm coat. It looks like you got a size 20, is that a good fit ? Do you have a male or female dobie ? Preacher is 87 lbs how does that compare to your dogs size ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Atingles10

I actually had just clicked on a random one, we bought a size 26 for our guy. It fits our guy perfect but that being said he's just over 100lbs and lean. We used this same jacket last year when we was a pup and probably around 70 or 80lb . It was a little bigger then but with the buckle we were able to adjust and roll it to work. This year its perfect size though! They have a sizing chart to help with chest size and length! We love the jacket especially with the buckle that allows for us to adjust the chest size. He's definitely warm in it and I love that it covers a lot of his chest without having to try to put his front arms through anything.

• Like Like x 1
  7. C908

C908 Member

Thanks that helps, I measured Preacher 23 " from base of neck to base of tail. I read a lot of reviews and looked at a lot of pictures. It looked to me like a lot of people bought coats to big. One person said they called the manufacturer for a size recommendation and were advised incorrectly. I'm going to order one of these as soon as I can figure out a size. Someone said Chewy is quick and good about exchanging if needed. I must of been half a sleep when I measured last night, he is 26 on his back with a 35 chest.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

We use these fleece sweaters, they are stretchy but stay on nice and tight so work well for sport. Easy on and off since they stretch.
    B58ED830-F9AA-4B9B-92AC-9D81D7EBC2FD.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  9. C908

C908 Member

We have a couple sweaters but I find them hard to get on and off. I really have to bend his front legs to get through the holes.

10. C908

C908 Member

I decided to order a 24 and then found out Chewy was out of that size in red. They hope to get restocked within a couple weeks.

11. Atingles10

Oh no! I have always had good luck with chewy. Hopefully they are back in stock sooner than later and I always find their shipping to be quick!

12. C908

C908 Member

I could of ordered one from Amazon but it would have cost $13.00 more and doing an exchange wouldn't be as easy as with Chewy. I could of ordered a black one from Chewy but I really like the red on a black dobie. Our weather isn't to bad so I think we will be OK until the first of December. If I have to I will get a black one, need to keep him warm on our daily walks.

13. dobie206

dobie206 New Member

Vinci is 75 pounds (9 months) and we ordered a 24 and it’s perfect on him. 20 was too snug and 26 was too big.

14. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

There are a ton of nice custom jackets and sweaters made on Etsy. I have my eyes on this one. Good to know about the velcro issue you had. I was about to dump over $100 on one secured by velcro.

This one clips. Just make sure to measure his chest correctly.

875BD6D2-88EA-4033-B861-F87D6D8230AC.png

This is the one I was going to buy. Now im not sure.

1913D063-6FE8-4A8C-81A5-1850862A2166.png

15. C908

C908 Member

I see the 5 star rating but no way I would drop that kind of money on a coat that uses velcro. The coat I'm using now won't hardly stay closed because the velcro is worn out.

16. C908

C908 Member

Thanks, that really helps confirm the size Preacher needs. I'm curious what color you got ? I'm trying to hold out for red but may end up ordering black. They call it black but in the picture it looks more charcoal grey. I would like to hear from someone that has the black.

17. dobie206

dobie206 New Member

At first we ordered cherry but it was hot pink/bright red so we didn’t care for it. Plus he already has a red rain jacket. So we ordered raven (or black), something more subtle.

18. C908

C908 Member

Thanks, based on your comment I went a head and ordered black. In the picture it looks grey but says it's black. I would be OK with whatever shade of black it is where as I wouldn't be OK with a shade of red that looks like hot pink.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ChuckE

ChuckE $ Forum Donor $

This is the one we have for Tank. It is 3 years old now and the Velcro is still holding up.

• Like Like x 2
  20. C908

C908 Member

We just received his size 24 black, fits perfect and looks good. We went for our first walk and he didn't pee or poop so I don't know how well it will work in regards to that. That is the only possible problem I can see, looks like it will keep him warm. I don't think I will be using the slot to run the leash through or the leg straps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1