F

FredC

Williams: Danville officer was dead wrong to kill dachshund
police.gif

By Michael Paul Williams

Published: June 13, 2009
MORE:
VIDEO: Danville police chief's press conference
"Must love dogs" clearly isn't a requirement to be a Danville police officer.
A miniature dachshund charged at officer Murrill McLean after McLean attempted to serve a summons to a nearby resident. His cry of "Get!" didn't stop the dog, so he drew his pistol and responded with deadly force.
An 11-year-old, 12-pound dog with the clearly ironic name of "Killer" died Monday night as a result. He wasn't the first dog killed by Danville police.
Several years ago, after a remarkable spate of dog shootings, the local humane society brought in the American Humane Society to train Danville officers on how to respond to threatening dogs.
Danville Police Chief Philip A. Broadfoot acknowledged "either six or eight" dog shootings in 2006 involving pit bulls, a Labrador "and I think one Doberman," he said yesterday by phone. Some of the dogs were attacking citizens; some others were going after officers, he said.
The Danville Police Department's defensiveness about Killer's death has only compounded the tragedy and the pain of his owners, Tawaiin and Angela Harper.
The department's news release made the dachshund sound like the second coming of Cujo, the rabid St. Bernard from Stephen King's horror novel. The release said the dog could have been rabid. (He wasn't.) "The investigation revealed the dog was named 'Killer.'" (In the way a bald guy is called "Curly.") The dog had displayed aggressive tendencies before to others. (Neighbors described him as gentle.)
Broadfoot said the department has no policy on dog attacks -- a remarkable admission, given its history. But its use-of-force policy says officers have the right to use deadly force to prevent death or serious bodily injury.
"This is an unprovoked attack" by the dog, Broadfoot said. "He is minding his own business, he's doing his job. And this animal attacks him from the rear."
But such a panicky response to a stubby-legged dog shows, at best, a lack of poise and judgment, and, at worst, a callous disregard for life.
Most of the online audience at TimesDispatch.com agreed. The story attracted nearly 16,000 page views and more than 100 comments, and an online video showing neighbors' reaction to Killer's death was viewed more than 2,000 times.
Broadfoot said police were trained in a technique to defuse dog threats by essentially emulating canine behavior. Officers were told to stop moving, avert their eyes and roll sideways. But in this week's incident, Broadfoot said, the dog advanced on McLean too quickly for such a response.
Paulette Dean, director of the Danville Area Humane Society, which paid for the 2006 police training, said her organization is sad about Killer's death and has been in contact with Broadfoot. She said the matter is on the agenda at the Danville Area Humane Society's meeting Monday.
"Dachshunds happen to be my favorite breed," Dean said. "I love dachshunds. I do know they can be territorial. But . . . to my knowledge, there have never been any cases of dachshunds killing people."
Deadly force should be a last resort of any police officer. That should apply to man and man's best friend.
-------------------------
Original Source

Back