Will he ever be a guard dog!

Vlad

Hey guys! Hope you all doing fine!
Past days a question has me worried…
The idea for me to get a Doberman was as a guard dog as i have a car workshop with a big yard and people might jump the fence and steel part of cars. My buy is 7 months now but ive noticed he’s to friendly. I leave him alone in the yard when the workshop is closed just to observe him from a corner and i see people passing by and whistling to him and calling him and he goes to them to play or to be petted. So my question issss : will he be like this always LOL or will he protect when the time comes.

The idea for me to get a Doberman was as a guard dog as i have a car workshop with a big yard and people might jump the fence and steel part of cars.
They are natural guardians of their owners and the home they live in but should not be chosen just as a guard dog for a business. I consider our dogs the alarm system to let us know someone or something is there that shouldn't be, but we will take care of it from there.

He's just a baby still. Temperament does play a big part in natural suspicion and protective ability. Some are sharper than others. I like a little bit of sharpness or an edge on mine.

What did socializing look like for you? Did you allow him to visit anybody and everyone? With my first I did that and then she was a social butterfly LOL but once she started maturing that didn't matter anymore and she is all business when needed. I learned after the fact that having them engaged and learning all good things come through 99% you is much better for training. They can greet people on a limited basis. Of course this doesn't mean shutting them in, you still take them out and train as much as possible so they can get used to normal human behaviors, they just don't need to visit everyone that wants to see them!

True protective ability is something that needs to be trained with the right people and many dogs don't have what it takes for that. As Jan said, these aren't a good breed for leaving in a yard to watch property. They rather be with and protect you, that is what they were created for.

The idea for me to get a Doberman was as a guard dog as i have a car workshop with a big yard and people might jump the fence and steel part of cars. My buy is 7 months now but ive noticed he’s to friendly. I leave him alone in the yard when the workshop is closed just to observe him from a corner and i see people passing by and whistling to him and calling him and he goes to them to play or to be petted. So my question issss : will he be like this always LOL or will he protect when the time comes.
Your dog is still very young, give him another 6/8 months to get into his teens and he will begin to show he's a Doberman. There are things u can do to begin the process. First I would teach him to only accept food from one or two people and not eat until u tell him ok. Then go online and querry guard training.

Your dog is still very young, give him another 6/8 months to get into his teens and he will begin to show he's a Doberman. There are things u can do to begin the process. First I would teach him to only accept food from one or two people and not eat until u tell him ok. Then go online and querry guard training.
How can i do that
Like ive been feeding him on command since he was 2 months i feed the bowl and tell him to eat after i let him wait a bit or i hand feed him but everytime someone offers him a treat or something to eat i don’t exist anymore and he’s focused on them even if i say leave it

Just throwing it out there...but maybe do some role play...when ur business is locked up and its dark get some fake intruders and go mad, create a scene n maybe show the dog that night time is not play time. Night time is bite time. Guarding ur home ..naturally they would protect. I think a guard dog for ur business u should not let anyone touch or come near...not sure. Good luck tho. Also ppl might be sussing out ur dog. If the dog knows them, they'll have no problem jumping the fence n stealing shit.

Back