Who uses guardian homes?

Crh45169

I'm in the Midwest and considering a guardian home for a year old Serbian import girl and I nice male with working drives that will need a home that has working interest.
Has anyone used guardian home to keep breeding availability?
I would love to not have to consider it, but under my current circumstances, it might be best.

If you use them, what do you require?

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I've never heard of them but they let you keep breeding availability?

I did a quick search on it - interesting...

A Guardian or Guardian Family is a person or household that agrees to keep and look after a breeder's dog. This is a formal contract that carries legal obligations, some of which can impact and restrict your lifestyle. Failing to uphold your end of the bargain could lead to the dog breeder taking back your beloved pet.

Panama

Hot Topics Subscriber
I haven't used a Guardian home, but placed a bitch on a show/co-own contract. Biggest mistake I could have made. And this was someone I'd known 13-14 yrs. NEVER AGAIN!

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I'm no fan of someone else keeping a dog I want to consider mine. Since the bitch you wanted to breed is only a year old, she needs to be taken by someone to train and then title in shows or sports to prove her worthiness in the breeding world. Not to mention the health tests. Once out of your home, all her upbringing would be out of your control.

Panama

Hot Topics Subscriber
I'm not saying Guardian Homes or Co-owns don't work out. They can work out wonderfully, but they can also get pretty ugly. I would suggest having an attorney draw up a contract with ALL of the stipulations. Cover ever scenario possible. I would NOT recommend placing a dog in a home in Canada. Nothing against Canadians, but if something should go wrong it is extremely expensive to enforce a contract with International Borders involved!!!
A contract is only as good as the HONOR of the parties signing it!

Crh45169

I've co-owned several times and when done well, it is nice. I have associates that do guardians and they are particular and it works out.
The breeder paid for all health clearances.

And the contract would be notorized and filled with the recorders office.

Thanks everyone for the input.