1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Whispering with Dobermanns

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Tropicalbri's, May 22, 2019.

1. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Have any of you gone into quiet mode with your Doberman using only a whisper to communicate.

I lost the plastic plug cap on Cruza’s (my 19yr cat) thyroid medicine. It’s a transdermal medication placed on the ear. Anyway, I started talking in a whisper to myself trying to find the cap. Looking under the bed, on the bed, under the treadmill. Basically looking everywhere as the twins were looking with me. The looks on their faces was priceless. They were extremely interested and had ears pinned perfectly in alert position, (which they seldom do). I got the flashlight and looked under the bed and both pups were right with me, butts in the air and heads down looking under the bed too. Of course I didn’t find the cap but the twins found two of their balls.
    :woot::ty::gun:
    I continued to whisper to them for a while longer and realized that whispering gets and keeps their attention. It’s weird because they were responding to commands much easier than spoke in a normal or elevated voice.
    Has anyone else noticed how their Dobie responds to whispering?

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 5
  2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

No, but I’m off home to try it :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HakuTheDoberman

HakuTheDoberman Jr Member

I’ll try it too! On a side note though your cat is 19?? Dang aha

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes, all the time! Sometimes I talk to him quietly but many times its for training obedience in the house. I always wondered if training them with a quiet voice will aid in letting them know when I raise my voice I mean it x100!

Its funny how they really try to focus on what you are saying. I swear I could tell Jasper a whole story whispering and he will sit there doing his puppy head tilts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Haven't really paid attention to the whispering reaction, but not too long ago, Easter I think, I said to myself "slow down" and the Sinisters, who were walking through the room suddenly slowed down! When we go on walks they have to do slow, normal and fast. I guess they really take their training to heart!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

And acts like a 5yr old cat. She will put my male Dobie in his place if he becomes an asshat.

• Like Like x 6
    • Wow x 1
  7. HakuTheDoberman

That’s a cat for ya! Our female is a sassy girl and will put our puppy in his place too. Our male on the other hand will be very submissive.

My cats mostly ignore our puppy but sometimes when our cats get the zoomies and run he chases them. I can get him to stop which is okayyyy but when I kinda bring them closer to each other the puppy gets excited and loves to put his paws on them( which they don’t like he’s heavy) and sometimes he tries to play nip them. Do you have any tips on having him learn to be gentle with cats ? I know he’s a puppy so I can’t expect him to be perfect when it comes to interacting with the cats at first lol

8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

What a funny idea! I will have to try this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I typically give Blaze quiet commands, he gets to amped if you are loud and if you yell he is ready to start biting. So calm and quiet for many commands to him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

I do this with Shadow (since we got her) when she is naughty - so instead of yelling I whisper. I don’t do it too much now - it was mostly with indoor manner stuff. For example when she chewed on my wooden blinds she would get a whisper scolding. Lol. It works great!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I can see whisper rage being scary haha. “Just wait till your father gets home.”

• Funny Funny x 6
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I do very quiet commands most of the time when I'm working with them since I'm always trying to teach hand signals at the same time. I did miss a perfect score on the SPOT test (same as CGC in AKC) since it was really noisy and and Della just couldn't hear me. She still got her SPOT title but it could have been SPOT on, which indicates a perfect score.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Firestar Dobe

I also do quiet (but louder than a whisper) commands and always train hand signals, still trying the cards with words, so far they recognize sit, front and come. Wonder if I write them in whispers will they catch on quicker! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I sometimes baaaaarely audibly whisper something to my Dobe. It's usually something like: "Do you want to..." You know, a positive thing.

I also like to train my Dobes to listen to my commands which are almost always quiet. This is both because I am a private person, and it's impressive to see a dog obey a command that was quietly and calmly given, and because I feel speaking quietly to your Dobe causes them to be in the habit of listening better. This is a sharp contrast to what I used to see in the obedience ring. I can still hear middle-aged women shouting "Over!"

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

Dogs & horses both have seemed to tune into whispers. I've used whispers a lot when wanting the attention of the animal and it works most every time.

I've never allowed a puppy to chase the cats, just a sharp no was all it took to learn at a young age. With a high prey-drive dog it could go south in a hurry, so best stop it before it starts. But the cats I have wouldn't run, so that made it easier. The really funny thing that came of this is that dog isn't allowed to chase cats, but if dog sillies out & gets zoomies and the cats chase the dog, well that's ok, so dog is crazy-happy that she "gets to play with them"! It's hysterical and one day I'll get a video. She literally TRYS to get the cats to chase her because the other way around is forbidden.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. HakuTheDoberman

Aha cute I’m hoping one day they will play together a little bit. They mostly mind their own business and telling him to stop and no he’s pretty good with I just want him to learn that when he is near them that he can’t bite them even it’s its okay nibbles lol

• Like Like x 2
  17. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I've been giving quiet commands for a long time as where I live sound carries a long way, especially at night. It is possible to hear people talking in normal tones 500+ yrds away so I don't like the idea of everything I say to Jazz being noticed! And whispering works really well when I am wanting her to take notice of something about the place, training her in what to alert to. It is the tone of voice that makes the difference not the volume, with Jazz anyway. Yes, the whisper always has her locked on in focus!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

When I whisper, Fury instantly goes into play mode with front legs on the ground and rear up in the air.

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Firestar Dobe

Ok, so I tested the "Whisper Theory" on the Sinisters tonight. :fingersx: We were hanging out in the living room, the girls were laying very relaxed about 3 feet from me and I very softly whispered...I'm hungry and could really go for a banana. Heads raised immediately, ears at alert status, and within 5 seconds both were on their feet. They stood looking at me for a second or two and then trotted straight into the kitchen and when I got in there they were both sitting by the counter waiting with their heads cocked to the side! I of course praised them because they are so smart, I started to turn back to walk out of the kitchen and they both started whining...hey where's our banana!:rp:
    I am sure everyone realizes without me saying it, but we had a banana! :woot:Just call me the banana whisperer!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 8
  20. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That would make me glad I train my Dobes in a foreign language (not german).

My Dobe is also not at all unfamiliar with me sometimes issuing commands to him in a sort of low growling tone (think grizzled martial arts master). I think that if I feel the need for someone in public to find my Dobe and me to be a rather serious duo for reasons of security, I think it would be the rare idiot who would try us given the overall package that includes a lean cropped black Doberman crisply obeying these sinister, cryptic orders.

• Agree Agree x 2