Which is better for posting? Tampons or backer rods?

RexsMom

Notable member
So I've been posting my Rex's ears for a month now using tampons method. I put a cotton ball on the end, wrap the sticky tape wrapped outwards on the tampon, then wrap the post with medical tape (sometimes some paper tape throughout the days for a touch up if they're still clean). But they always seem to fall out more than half the time, finding myself replacing the posts every day or two :( I'd really like to try the backer rods even though I've already bought a stupid amount of tampons :wacky:
My question is if you've tried both methods, which did you find more effective? And also is there a difference? I have seen the post made for the tutorial, but poor Rexy HATES getting the posts on I don't think he'd let me put all that glue in his ears. I have to make sure he is dead asleep to even attempt putting them in, no matter how many treats & positive reinforcement I give him.
I am a first time dobie owner, any help is appreciated! :)

Attachments

• Rexy.jpg
    Rexy.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 10
I’ve never done the tampon method just backer rod and I never used glue just backtaped and external tape.

I think the backer rod is more light weight and has a bit more of a give. I used the 1/2 backer rod and tapered/ notched the ends for more comfort.

I personally like the backer rod better and you can just back tape it instead of using the adhesive. You can also use a lot less tape wrapped around them.

Here's a good tutorial using the method where you back tape it.
How to Post Cropped Ears (Video)

And as long as you’re inserting them all the way in and using the right size they do get used to having their ears posted. I used to post right before bed and Shadow would try to fall asleep.

I’ve never done the tampon method just backer rod and I never used glue just backtaped and external tape.

I think the backer rod is more light weight and has a bit more of a give. I used the 1/2 backer rod and tapered/ notched the ends for more comfort.
Just realized I’m missing the “inch” part of 1/2 inch backer rod. Just so you don’t think I’m cutting the rod in half. Sorry about that.

Thank you both! I’m actually heading to Canadian Tire tomorrow morning, I’ll definitely pick some up then :) Hopefully Rex will find them more comfortable, keep you updated.

I've used both and I like the backer rods. Bonus: I've used some of the backer rod around the house to help insulate in conjunction with caulking!

I have never used glue. I've had fine success without it.

I have just finished posting with the 1/2" backer rods, everything went smoothly! I definitely prefer this method over the tampons already. I felt I could get them deeper in the ear. Fingers crossed that they're still in there in the morning!

I have just finished posting with the 1/2" backer rods, everything went smoothly! I definitely prefer this method over the tampons already. I felt I could get them deeper in the ear. Fingers crossed that they're still in there in the morning!
Right on! So glad to hear it!

Yeah, I gently but assertively twist the post back and forth as I work it into the ear. The accepted wisdom is you will not hurt the innards of the ear due to the canal being essentially L shaped.

I put them in Saturday night, it’s now Monday morning in they are still in great shape! I’m a lot less stressed now, having a puppy is already stressful enough let alone posting :p Highly recommend backer rods over tampons.

I put them in Saturday night, it’s now Monday morning in they are still in great shape!
That's great to hear! If they're seated properly you should be able to go 3 or 4 days before you change them, unless they start smelling.

Back