Where is the right place on this site, or any other resource, to give away (free) pure-bred Doberman pups?

FYI, we are located in the Catskills region of NY state. We have family along I-80/90 in NYC, Catskills, Toledo, Cleveland, and Chicago. So, any of those pickup points will do. The pups will be available in 8+ weeks.

So many questions...

Forgive me, but were you not looking to add a second doberman not too long ago? I thought you had a male doberman and a female mutt, so whos female doberman is this? Why are they free? Its dangerous to give away puppies for free! What screening will be done on the "adopters?" What health testing do the parents have?

Yes, what you've mentioned is correct. I don't recall my previous posts (on a cell phone right now), but we have 3 adult dogs. A 16 month old male Doberman, a 9 month old female Doberman (adopted this January), and an older female mutt. This litter was unplanned. The female Doberman had a 'silent' heat. Also, the 2 Dobermans share the same father, so the pups are 1/2 line bred. Our concern is that the pups be placed in good homes. The only taker so far is the vet's family. I'll probably keep one of the pups. We don't know who else to ask or what to do. Also, we don't care about making money off of them. My only asks are that the pups aren't resold and if it doesn't work out that you return the dog to me. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

That's too bad. I would contact a reputable Doberman rescue where they can properly screen the potential owners so they don't fall into the wrong hands.

So many questions...

Forgive me, but were you not looking to add a second doberman not too long ago? I thought you had a male doberman and a female mutt, so whos female doberman is this? Why are they free? Its dangerous to give away puppies for free! What screening will be done on the "adopters?" What health testing do the parents have?
Regarding the parents health, basic tests were done by the breeder and they get regular vet care. We're not aware of any health issues. I have the breeding history/lineage for both of them. They're not AKC registered, but their parents are, so I have all of the info to do that. Also, I bought 2 Embark DNA kits, but haven't used them yet. We didn't care about AKC or DNA much prior to this, so we'll have to catch up.

That's too bad. I would contact a reputable Doberman rescue where they can properly screen the potential owners so they don't fall into the wrong hands.
I suspect you might be right. I hadn't thought of a Doberman rescue group, but that might be the safest way to go. I was hoping we could place them properly on our own, perhaps it's more dangerous than I realized.

we have 3 adult dogs. A 16 month old male Doberman, a 9 month old female Doberman (adopted this January),
This is too young to be considered adult. If you adopted the female, how come she wasn't spayed? Usually a rescue/shelter will insist on this. Or was she purchased from a breeder?

I agree that you shouldn't give them away for free - this is just asking for trouble - think dog fighting and bait dogs.

This is too young to be considered adult. If you adopted the female, how come she wasn't spayed? Usually a rescue/shelter will insist on this. Or was she purchased from a breeder?

I agree that you shouldn't give them away for free - this is just asking for trouble - think dog fighting and bait dogs.
Both were from the same breeder (hence, they have the same father). We were told to wait at least 18 months before spaying/neutering. The plan was/is to get the male neutered in June. I suppose there's no one to blame but myself. I thought I had more time. We don't plan to give the pups away with no questions asked. We were hoping to give to people we know, but there haven't been any takers. If someone well thought of on this site is interested, then that's a possibility. Otherwise, it looks like we'll be contacting rescue organizations. Thank you for your help.

Both were from the same breeder (hence, they have the same father).
Have you talked to the breeder about the situation? He/she might be able to help you with the placing too.

They are adorable, even though it's an unfortunate situation.

Our girl is 10.5 months and I just can't imagine her having pups at that age.

We haven't spoken to him yet. He'll be on our call list. What are your thoughts about contacting the breeder? Would the idea be that even though he'll sell them at least he'll place them with good owners?

Have you talked to the breeder about the situation? He/she might be able to help you with the placing too.

They are adorable, even though it's an unfortunate situation.

Our girl is 10.5 months and I just can't imagine her having pups at that age.
We're not doing so bad for day #3. We've placed 4 of 9 with familiar faces. 2 with family and 2 with vet employees.

Update: We've placed 7 of 8 puppies. 3 with the vet and her employees and 4 with friends and family. We're definitely not going to place with strangers. The interactions were just too weird. If we don't place #8 then she'll go to a rescue group or the breeder. Thanks again to everyone here that offered advice.

Would love to know how this all turned out. How is mama now? Hope all is well in your home, and everyone is spoken for.

I'm glad you found good homes for them. Did you lose 1 of them since you said you had 9 before?
Yes. One of them didn't make it past the first 24 hours. The vet was involved to try to save it. But, it had some unusual neurological issues. The rest of the litter has done great. One runt, the others all pretty close in weight. Right around 5 lbs each on day 22. Someone specifically requested the runt for adoption already :)

Would love to know how this all turned out. How is mama now? Hope all is well in your home, and everyone is spoken for.
Thank you. I'll keep everyone posted here. The dam is doing very well. She's mostly stopped nursing as of the past day or so. The pups are mostly eating a sort of gruel from saucers: puppy kibble + formula mixed in a blender. Though, there's still a bit of a transition going on between nursing and gruel. Each of them is gaining weight daily. They're all around 5 lbs as of today, day #22.

Back