Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What's in a Name

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by NikiL02, Aug 21, 2016.

1. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

So Nero needs a registered name.

Thoughts? Any extra info you need from me for ideas?

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You usually want to include the breeders name and if they have a theme for the litter it's something to go by. If you have a specific idea of what he means to you it helps as well.

3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

With this current Dobe, his breeder let the puppy buyers choose a name but it had to be starting with the first letter of the litter number (as in, the A litter, the B litter, the C litter, etc.) It also had to be one word.

So these stipulations made it easier to come up with a name.

I have always chosen a name based on what I want my Dobe to be, and what I think a great Dobe ought to be. Wait, with our last Dobe I happened upon the name Dax in my search for a pup and we just thought it sounded cool, so we simply went with Dax.

So, what do you want your ultimate Doberman to be? Are there any traits that stand out to you in your pup yet?

4. NikiL02

Well his parents are Nala Queen of the Valley and Simba's Phantom of Odinsphere. She called them Nala and Simba. I am sure I do not want his name to have anything to do with the Lion King. She said we could pick anything.

I like the Roman theme we have going on (though Im not fond of the actual emporer himself.) Maybe something to do with roman gods or constellations His registered name, imo, doesnt need to contain his neckname (so Nero doesnt need to be in it.) We like Nero as the nickname because we wont mumble it and it doesn't sound like commands.

I want something noble. Right now he's too puppy to make too much sense of his personality I think. He's initially reserved then opens up and goes gun ho. He is stubborn though and has a great memory especially for what he's not supposed to get into! I assume a lot of this is Doberman personality. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

I should clarify that the one-word name we got to choose was not his entire registered name. It was the one word we chose, then Von (then the breeder's name).

Anyway, yeah, you are so right the call-name does not have to have anything to do with the registered name. Ours doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would just research Roman themes and pick I catchy one you like and is fitting for your pup.

I personally like that. I want to name my own dog! I have been looking for a pup and so many breeders want to name the pup for you.

In my dogs case, looking for a registered name came easy. I wanted a red male. The whole litter was black. So we named him "Luck of the Draw". I put my money on red and came up black. It was a good bet. How often can you bet and think you lost, only to learn you won!

• Like Like x 3
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  7. Oh Little Oji

In order to name my previous Doberman, I would stand at work for hours per night (yes, there was often no work to do, which is excruciating on a 12 hour overnight shift!!) and dream up names and write them into my list. I found one of those lists a while back. So interesting to read through it. I cringe at how on-the-nose or cliche some of the names were. In the end we wound up going with the simple human name "Dax." Whatever!

With this current male, like I said, we had the opportunity to choose the main part of the registered name, but it had to start with a certain letter and be one word. Despite these restrictions, you would probably laugh at the list of names I produced. I think I may still have the list in my phone. I may have to post it here.

Well, we narrowed the list of E-names and words down to like 25, then down to 10, then down to 5. The breeder wound up having to tell me to pick one or it would be too late. I am careful to not reveal who is my breeder, and I don't think they spend any time on these type of forums, but if they ever do see this, they'll know who I am! My choice was "Electric Eye" which would be plugged into the "Von xxxxxxxxxxxxx" to form his registered name. The answer was no. Not acceptable. It must be one word. I suspect also that they didn't want such an oddball name especially on a dog that was not likely to be officially worked and titled. But I think it was a great name. Taken from the Judas Priest song "Electric Eye:"

"You think you've private lives?
    Think nothing of the kind.
    There is no true escape,
    I'm watching all the time"

Sounds like a Doberman Pinscher doesn't it?

• Like Like x 4
  8. NikiL02

@Oh Little Oji could you have combined them into a single word? I do think its a great doberman name!

@GennyB thats a great name. It reminds me of how my great aunt named two of her paint horses. Their ranch was JustAnother Farm so they had a gelding named Just Rite because he had just the right amount of white. She then had a filly with way more white than planned and named her Justa Bit Much.

My daughter wants to name him reeses peanut butter cups because hes black and tan and we have a cat named skittles. Lol. :facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Oh Little Oji

Yes, I thought about making that two-worded name into one word but I knew that would be shot down, and the breeder was already somewhat irritated with me.

And hey, when it comes to the name we call our Dobe around the house (hint: It's not Oji – that's his "real" name that I only use when I really want his attention) we actually did let our daughter name our Dobe. It's a name that always gets people to ask us to repeat it because they're confused.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JanS

I started a thread like this when we were naming Della and later started a poll on it. I forgot about all of the thoughts I had back then. LOL It wound up being Dellazz Basic Instinct.
    Help name Della - vote for your favorite

11. NikiL02

Okay we have three ideas:

1. Nero's Hibernia Fixation
    2. Nero's Caledonia Fixation
    3. Nero's Celtic Fixation
    Hibernia is classical latin for the Island of Ireland. It's also in relation to my husband's first MMO. My family tree traces back to WAY in the distance to Ireland but more recently to Scotland (and England and France) which is where Caledonia comes in. That's classical latin for Scotland. And then I figured Celtic also covered both of those.

Fixation because well he really gets fixated on things, and never what I want him to be fixated on! :tap: LOL :facepalm:I don't know if it'll go away one day, but I tend to doubt it. :groan:

BTW I checked and all 3 are verified for use with a Doberman at the AKC. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  12. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

Tad why must you always be so cryptic?:rofl: lol TELL US!!! :pullhair:

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Prushanks

Prushanks Hot Topics Subscriber

It's Prince Bubblesworth isn't it Tad... Just admit it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  14. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Living in Cornwall (Kernow) I am of course biased towards 'Nero's Celtic Fixation' as we are a Celtic nation.

But I will say I love the sound of Nero's Hibernia Fixation. They are all pretty neat, though!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Being 1/2 Irish and 1/2 NA Indian I like Nero's Celtic Fixation. :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Oh Little Oji

I'm plenty confused.

17. NikiL02

Alright it's official, Nero's Celtic Fixation is now his registered name. Hubs liked Hibernia but I like that encompasses both Ireland and Scotland.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Pudding

Pudding Jr Member

Got a new Dobie. We pick him up Aug. 5. His name is Ruger. But what should his registered name be? And why are registered names infinitely more complex that call names? :)

19. JanS

Congrats!
    Most of the registered name depends on the breeder. Many of them want you to put their name or the lineage names in the registered name and some have a themed litter so they'd like you to use something related to that theme. One girl who had a litter last year themed it "night sky" so the new owners could pick what ever they wanted that was related to the night sky, like "----- Aurora", etc.
    Otherwise the registered name needs to be more complex because you need an original name that hasn't been used yet and obviously something like "Rover" wouldn't work. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Davis_0519

Davis_0519 Novitiate

Hello! I was just doing a search for the names of my new Dobie puppy's parents and I found this post! I have a Doberman puppy, Davis, 13 weeks, who has the same parents as your Nero! IMG_0953.jpeg

• Wow x 3
    • Like Like x 2