Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What size collar? (15 weeks)

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by DN2017, Mar 7, 2018.

1. DN2017

DN2017 Member

Our pup will be around 15 weeks of age when he arrives coming sunday. What size collar (cm) did your pup have around that age?

2. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

We always buy adjustable collars so they last longer. Usually go thru 3 sizes before they are grown. S, M, L collars all vary in size and how they are made so I would just take puppy and go try different collars on.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

If memory serves me well, Grace got a collar at 16 weeks and it was a "mid"...and said it fit 14-18 inches.

• Like Like x 1
  4. David33

David33 Lurking Member

When do you switch to the mid seize prong collar? My friend keeps her always in the small, just buys more links. What do you recommend?

5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I always buy the Mendota collars when we get pups since they're infinitely adjustable. I believe we start out with a 14" but if the pup is already 15 weeks, I'd measure the neck and go a few inches larger than the measurement.
    Mendota Double Braid Collar - Satin Nickel
    You shouldn't use a prong collar on a pup until they're at least 6 months old. Most of us use the Herm Sprenger 2.25 mm collars and just buy extra prongs so you can keep adding them as they grow.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Silent Dobe

Silent Dobe Well-Known Member

I would not use a prong collar that young. I don't add correction collars until they are at least almost a year or over. Do all your initial base training (though I know I'm late to the party here) through shaping and positive motivation (yes, Jen believes in that for young dogs haha).

I always get cheap collars when they are growing, that way it isn't a big purchase each time he grows. Since I don't actually use any collar when training at that time, a cheap snap buckle collar is my way to go.

• Agree Agree x 3