Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What should I do here?

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by Gelcoater, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Becuase I decided to take an unusual route home from a store today, I happened across a stray dog.:rolleyes:

He seems to be hanging out behind a large, unoccupied industrial building.

There’s an not very good English speaking Asian man living in a “security” trailer on the lot that told me he’s a stray.

I had perishables when I saw him.
    Stopped and tried to engage him, he was suspicious.

Delivered perishables at home, stocked up with the last 2 hot dogs and 2 cooked chicken thighs.
    Rolled back out to the place I saw him.
    And found him.
    It’s about 8 miles out.

I couldn’t get him closer than the center median of the road.
    Fortunately it’s little traveled and backs up to open hills.
    He’s real skittish. Fox like.
    52BD7EFE-4D31-4F45-9705-3372C77F243D.jpeg 895D5AA4-12BD-4266-808A-A4EC2C077732.jpeg

No he’s not a fox, lol. Just wildish.
    I left him today with a meal in his belly.
    Bit by bit I tossed and got him to come in within a car width-ish.
    A water bottle I cut a hole in on its side and filled with another.
    Won’t be able to get back that way for a couple days.
    Even if I got his trust and got him in the truck, what then??
    I don’t think Rocky would accept a boy dog here? He’s asshole enough to the females.

I know I’ll go back in a few days, just don’t know what to do.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Can't see from the pic if he is really malnourished. Stray dogs are quite common where I live as there is a tourist influx through the winter months and dogs get separated from their owners, or dumped. It gives me the same dilemma as to what to do for them. Your stray seems to have been apart from humans for a while to be so skittish so you would have to really wonder how he has been living. Is he mostly feral?

3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Man, I don't know. I am not coming up with any good course of action other than posting pics of the dog to social media. Since there are so many lost/found dogs in our area (especially one nearby neighborhood) I have learned that there is a site called Pawboost. Maybe there's one in your area. I also think there are F'book groups devoted to local/neighborhood specific lost dog reportings.

As for trying to capture the dog: I don't know if that would be all that good or worthwhile. Probably, you would turn it over to the SPCA or the like, where it might have a small chance of being adopted.

I chalk it up to one of the countless sad cases of stray dogs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ravenbird

Ravenbird New Member

Your local Animal Control should be called. They have the knowledge & equipment to catch feral dogs. Having worked at a vet clinic in my long-ago past, I know that a fearful dog will bite and fight when captured. I wouldn't dream of trying to catch this one, much less put it in a car with me and take it home where I had dogs. Chances are if it's not friendly once in the animal shelter, it's not adoptable and will be euthanized, if it turns out to be a waggy tail fur ball, it will not have a problem getting a home. I feel bad about the homeless dogs in the world, but I wouldn't pick up strays and bring them home.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I hate seeing stray dogs too. But I feel the same way. It's such a touchy situation. If I know the dog will never capture easily, then I know it will never be adopted easily. At that point I usually feel it will do better on its own than me taking it to its Doom or risk injury to myself or my animals. If it's very friendly, then yes, I would hope I can find it a better home than roaming the streets.

All the years we've been here, I've never seen a stray dog come across my property . The only one that did was a cattle dog that I knew through a friend. As soon as I saw him, I knew who he was. When I sent them a picture, they had been out looking for him. Athough most properties here have a loose dog on them, they seldom leave those properties and roam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Every dog I come across usually I try to help them. I have picked up many and usually take photos and I post to my local missing pets page on facebook before taking them to animal control. I have found many owners this way. Some may have just been missing for a while and are scared but it doesn’t always mean they aren’t friendly. A scared dog can react yes. Some I would call animal control to do deal with. But if you have a social media outlet to share those pics on it could help. You never know who has been missing a pet for a while and how grateful they would be. I just had a Scottish terrier all matted around my place last week and everyone in my neighborhood shut their door on her. I called her over and gave her water and took pics posted them and then took her to animal control. The owner was calling animal control when I got there because of my post.

• Like Like x 6
    • Wow x 1
  7. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I don’t think he’s feral. His coat looks too nice and he’s too interested in people.
    But...

I completely agree.
    That’s why I’d never try to capture him.

I’ve a feeling with this one I can gain it’s trust. Then there’s no capturing involved, it’s more coaxing out more trust.

91CF2F24-6E33-4AFB-8BFF-09E03775A2D7.jpeg
    Some of you folks may remember my friends Bob and Bella, in the pink coat.

Bella was the stray dog from my last stray dog thread, lol.
    She was much like this one. Interested in people, from a far.
    More interested if they have food.
    Even more interested if you have food, throw some their way then completely ignore them and look elsewhere.
    She sent from street dog to industrial yard dog to living a posh life in Temecula wine country:) then moved up to Washington state along Puget Sound. :)

I’m not sure this guy will be as easy to win over, his location is pretty far out of my way, and I’ve no idea if I’ll find him again if I look.

Still have no idea what to do with him if I can win him over.
    Taking him to the shelter will pretty much be a death sentence, his only redeeming factor is he’s not a pit bull like almost every other dog there.
    He may infact be better off living in the hills.
    He’s living at the end of Harley Knox road there.
    28DFCF2C-1C3C-4F7E-BF1F-FAABC716012D.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

That security guard knows the dog is a stray, but maybe because he never offered the dog any food, the dog is staying distant but still hanging around because at least there is some human presence? Maybe that makes the dog feel a bit safer? The guy is not threatening to him either. The dog looks like someone dropped him off there recently. Coat still looks good and clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Skatchkeb

Skatchkeb New Member

Running around without a collar is a good way to get shot. I'd throw on a couple sweatshirts and gloves, grab some beef jerky and a slip collar, try my best to coax em and if caught check for a chip. The dog doesn't look like hes been on the streets too long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Most likely peopled have shooed him away, perhaps with threatening objects, therefore making him skittish.
    Me... I am a total sucker when it comes to stray dogs but I also have the benefit of taking them to the clinic to check for a chip, feed and bathe them, then put out fliers before turning them over to SHARK, which is a no kill shelter in Marathon.
    Safe Haven Animal Rescue of Keys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

I am the same I have a hard time not taking any dog in I see.
    This the Scottish terrier who came to my home. She was the biggest sweetie ever rolling around wanting her belly scratched and trying to push her way into my home. Lol. She was such a character. She was so matted though big chunks on her side and back. Sad.

310E9424-6617-47FB-8A86-4F8D6FB9154F.jpeg 011DA45E-C88C-41FF-BECA-5BB9E84E6CA1.jpeg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Tropicalbri's

What a cutie!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. MyBuddy

Did you take her in? Now, that I couldn't resist. :) Friendly, small enough that I could handle. I would have taken her, feed, bathe, checked for micro chip, put out flyers and if not claimed, adopt! ;)

14. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

I posted her to my local pets missing page the took to my animal shelter and they scanned her but no chip. Probably 5 mins later the owners were calling in asking for her. She was sweet but was scared and bit overwhelmed by Kodak so he had to be put away.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MyBuddy

Yea, I figured as much. Cute little Scotties are usually not feral! Glad she made it home!

16. Tropicalbri's

C83E551E-B2CD-42A9-9E32-50C23F62F8E1.jpeg AA01A4ED-E690-405F-8039-661B2781E083.jpeg
    I picked this one up running off US 1 on Sugarloaf Key. I searched for 2 hrs and finally found her owners. The last picture is in front of her home. She wasn’t ready to leave my truck just yet. Lol

• Appreciation Appreciation x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tropicalbri's

This is another one I rescued last year. It was running loose by the Murray’s Market, again on US 1Hwy. I had Bacall with me so I had to tie the dog to a pole at the market and the workers watched her until I could get back from taking Bacall home. I took him to the clinic, scanned him and found the owner. A006EC2D-6828-4525-B27B-D04E0B45928B.jpeg C2ABD0AA-F52E-412C-BA8E-726CE44F7F60.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Skatchkeb

Skatchkeb New Member

He looks like a good boy

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tropicalbri's

He was an absolute sweetheart!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

I hope you can help the poor guy out! People dump dogs out by me all the time :( it breaks my heart especially in the winter time.

• Agree Agree x 3