What Natural Talents does your Dobermann have?

Tropicalbri's

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
My male Bogie shares a unique bond with me that amazes me all the time.

Before he was a year old he was alerting me to drops in my blood glucose.
Took me a couple months to realize that was what he was doing.

Now he has been retrieving things that I accidentally drop and gives them back to me, (unless it’s food):D
He hasn’t been trained to do this either.

If weather turns nasty he will lay next to me and puts his nose in my neck.
When I broke my foot he had to sniff my entire cast everyday and would then look at me like he was asking if it was ok.
He walked slow and gentle with me when I had to hobble around.
Bacall and Bogie both would position themselves beside me so I could use them for balance.
God forbid if I cry (doesn’t happen often) around Bogie. He gets very concerned and will try to clean my face and hands and stays right with me until it passes.

He has alerted me to a couple of wasp nests that were built under a chair seat outdoors.
He has this need to stick right by me just in case something were to happen.
If I am working in the front yard, he will jump the fence to get out there with me.
He doesn’t run off, he just hangs with me.
He gets upset (think howling tantrum) if I am downstairs and he is upstairs.
If I leave the property in my vehicle, he accepts it and will quietly lay in my spot on the bed until I come home.

My first male boy did these things. Bacall is more aloof but needy for attention too.
Bogie cuddles with me and will wake me in the mornings with half his body flopped on me and paws behind my neck. I swear it’s a good morning hug.
Bacall likes to lay next to me but does not like me putting my arms on her unlike Bogie that loves having my arm around him.

Am I reading too much into his behavior?
When we are out in public, he ignores everyone and just focuses on me.
He is very chatty with me too.
Just a facial expression from me will get him chatting.

If I take him with me when I clean a house, he feels he has to check out every room first then returns to sit facing me to let me know it’s safe to go in.
Just wondering if anyone else experiences these types of things with their Dobies?

I think that's absolutely brilliant with Bogie and your bond! Do you think male dogs bond more closely with a female handler? It does seem like it.

Jazz and I have a close bond and she loves attention, but it is more like Bacall, on her own terms. Jazz does have some very useful talents though. She is the absolute best snake alert system ever! She smells them, can tell the difference between a snake and any other reptile, and will take a stance and just BARK. Loudly and insistently until I take proper notice and tell her to disengage. Body like an iron bar with intensity, and if I left her to it she would probably end up going in for the kill. Not a good idea, that. I have lost count of the times that she has saved me from walking too close to a snake, both around home and out on our walks. :thumbsup2:

There is only one other critter that brings out this reaction and that is the poor old echidna who just wants to come in for a drink at night. I have had people ask me what had happened after she had a night of "echidna alert" raving. She just. can't. stand. them! :rofl: Echidnas are our Australian version of a hedgehog.

Body like an iron bar with intensity, and if I left her to it she would probably end up going in for the kill. Not a good idea, that. I have lost count of the times that she has saved me from walking too close to a snake, both around home and out on our walks. :thumbsup2:

That’s great that she alerts you. Bogie finds one and grabs it and will fling it in my face when I tell him to leave it.

Jazz is a smart powerful girl. I love that you can go camping and traveling with her. She has super manners!

You’ve done and incredible job training her.

Your Bogie is something special, that's for sure. (and Jazz for some reason is one of my favorite dogs on this chat group) Asha is still young yet, but I think she will be more like Jazz or Bacall. Totally velcro, but at the same time really independent and wants to do things her way. Time will tell...

Before Ezri will turn in for the night she well check every window in the bedroom. She does not relax until she has a visual of outside all four windows in the bedroom.

After that, every 2 hours or so she will get up, come by my side and wait until I shift or make a noise, then she will go to the other side of the bed and make sure my wife is OK, then back to bed.

Before Ezri will turn in for the night she well check every window in the bedroom. She does not relax until she has a visual of outside all four windows in the bedroom.

After that, every 2 hours or so she will get up, come by my side and wait until I shift or make a noise, then she will go to the other side of the bed and make sure my wife is OK, then back to bed.

It’s evident this breed takes their responsibility to their family seriously. They are such amazing creatures.

Wish I could share some similarly amazing stuff here, but I have not yet experienced much of this magic.

On my third Dobe now, and none of them have done that thing you hear of where they get all soothing and concerned when you're sick.

Something rather precious Oji does, though, is when my wife sits down on the couch to nurse our baby he will walk up and lay his head on her lap. It's like he knows she's immobilized there and is an easy target for some cuddles. The real hilarious thing here is that our daughter who is in the act of nursing will reach back with her hand and pet Oji on the head, or manipulate his ears. She even will just reach a foot back and pet/pat him with that. Our girl looks to be quite the ham in the making.

Oji will do something that seems pretty "woo, see how he's taking responsibility for our safety?" Sometimes when I am heading upstairs to bed (or nap :thumbsup2:) when he gets to the landing between the two flights of stairs he will use that vantage point to take one more intense look out the front windows of the house. I mock him here, though, because I know he's only looking for animals!

Now, there was the way my first Doberman saved my life twice, but I think it was technically self-preservation. But thank you, my once-in-a-lifetime Dobe!

On my third Dobe now, and none of them have done that thing you hear of where they get all soothing and concerned when you're sick.
I hear you here. The one time I went back to bed after taking Jazz for a quick potty she poked, prodded and pestered because she didn't get her usual long walk! No sympathy whatsoever! :censored: However, she is soooooooo gentle and careful with children and the frail elderly. I don't get that consideration. :facepalm:

Several months ago, I went out to a bar and had Trixie and Rex with me (dog friendly bar). Anyways the wife and myself get sauced and we’re heading back to the car. Rex stopped me from driving and took away my keys. Next thing I know Rex is steering and trixies controlling the brake and gas. I shit you not, they drive us home. Now everytime we go out we have DD’s (doberman drivers).

We don’t take Kaiser to other people’s homes, but he does what we call a perimeter check upon coming home or even if we come upstairs from the basement. He’ll check all the windows and doors. While he’s doing this, if there is any food on a counter top, he’ll raise his nose at that point as he passes through the area. Once the check is done, he comes back to where the food was to sniff some more. If the cat has been on the main floor, he’ll go and sniff out her tracks, so he’s naturally nose-oriented.

We don’t take Kaiser to other people’s homes, but he does what we call a perimeter check upon coming home or even if we come upstairs from the basement. He’ll check all the windows and doors. While he’s doing this, if there is any food on a counter top, he’ll raise his nose at that point as he passes through the area. Once the check is done, he comes back to where the food was to sniff some more. If the cat has been on the main floor, he’ll go and sniff out her tracks, so he’s naturally nose-oriented.
I'm picturing Kaiser cruising through the kitchen, nose in air.

Back