Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What is your Doberman's Sleep Schedule/Habits?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by RexsMom, Oct 2, 2019.

1. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

I had seen a thread posted on here from a long time ago about this, but was curious about maybe a more updated/in detail one. I've been curious to see if Rex's sleeping habits were normal & could be informative to future Doberman parents!

Things like:
    - How long does your Doberman sleep a night?
    - When do they sleep during the day?
    - Do they sleep a lot because you're a work or maybe exercise them a lot?
    - If you have two dogs, do they sleep more often?
    - Do they sleep in a crate/bed/free roam? When did you trust them to not sleep in the crate?
    - Did you notice as they got older or "fixed" that they slept more?
    - Do you find they sleep more in the winter or hot weather?

Or anything else you can think of!

Rex will usually sleep from 12AM - 11AM at bed time, then after a big morning walk another 2-3 hours, then 4 hours while I work (from home) which is after a big afternoon walk. So a total of 17 hours on a regular day. If people are over or I'm all over the place cleaning & such he will usually skip the morning nap & just lounge.
    For now he still sleeps in the crate, but hoping to let him free roam at some point. He is only 16 months.
    I have yet to see how he reacts to keeping calm in the winter with little exercise now that he's a bit older. Is doggy hibernation a thing? :spit:

• Like Like x 1
  2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Remembering that Jazz isn't pure Dobe and she might have inherited some good sleep genes from the non Dobe side, she has a routine where she sleeps and lounges around from about 9am to 3 or 4pm while I am busy with other stuff at home. She has a play/training session and long walk covering about two hours in the am and pm, and then sleeps pretty soundly from 10 or 11pm to 5 or 6am. She is pretty settled during the evenings too, so I guess that would make an average of 13 to 15hrs of sleep a day.

She is free to choose where she sleeps while I am around during the day and is tethered so she can sleep beside me at night but can go and investigate happenings around the place as well.

Summer is definitely the less active time and when the weather is hot she is very content to laze somewhere cool for the midday hours! Winter is time to get up and going and she will sometimes need an extra couple of hours of activity at midday in the cooler months. No hibernation for cold weather..............just the opposite! :woot2:

3. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

1. 5-8 hours depending on how much I sleep.

2. 9am-12pm. Then 130-330 (he is crated during these hours. I assume he sleeps).

3. I heavily exercise him Tuesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday and Sunday. So a mixture.

4.n/a

5. He sleeps in our bed or his crate. During evening hours he usually gets free roam of our bedroom. Which is either his crate or his bed. He is usually 50/50 on where he sleeps. Sometimes I put him in the crate. Depending on my mood. I trusted him to do this around 9 months. However, he will probably never have free roam of the house unless we are home with him.

6. No.

7. Haven’t paid attention.

I don’t think there’s a hibernation lol, during winter months when it’s rainy or bad weather I bring him to my wife’s work and work him/exercise him there in the parking lot. I’d lose my mind if he was at 100% energy all the time.

4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Tara (6 y/o) sleeps from 10pm - 6/7am. She’ll then have free run of the house from 8am (when I leave for work) till 1pm (when hubby finishes work)
    She mostly sleeps on the bed in the spare room whilst we are at work (we don’t allow her on our bed or our son’s bed - those doors are shut)
    She’ll rest (on and off) on her raised bed in the lounge between 1pm and 10pm :)

5. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It's been my experience that dogs are pretty adaptable and will learn to live our lifestyle.
    I live with a chronic disease that doesn't allow for anything close to normal. Rumor being my service dog has learned to adjust to the chaos. The experts say dogs should get an average of 12-14 hours a day depending on the breed. While I have never really kept track of it, I have no doubt Rue doesn't get that much. She seems to know when she can doze off and when she has to be ready to help. Because of my odd hours, I do give her free time she can use to do what she wants. Sleep is important to our health so I try to make sure she has some free time to sleep.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

# of hours depends on what day it is I think.
    Typically Mon-Wed I work so I am up at 4am I wake her for potty time and breakfast. Initially I was trying to do a quick short training session this time also. I'm at work usually by 515am. In the beginning all I asked my husband to do was take her out before he left for work. Some days he did and some days he didn't. His response was "well she was asleep/she didnt wake up while I was getting ready" when I questioned him on why not. Boy did he regret his choices after I lectured him about her tiny bladder and timing of eating then poop. He is home for lunch everyday 1200-1pm. Sadly its not uncommon for me to work a 14-16 hour shift on ortho days. So while we are at work she is crated. She is also crated during the night. Sometimes she sleeps thru the night from like 9 or 10pm till 4am, other times she may go out once or multiple times depending on the poop. So just trying to add up the time that I can actually verify (my off days) I would say she sleeps at least 18 hours....that's my best guess. She is 4 months.

7. ChuckE

ChuckE $ Forum Donor $

Tank is part coon hound so his sleep patterns change depending on the weather. He has a dog door he can use which leads to the fenced in back yard. Then there are woods behind the fence. So during the spring and summer he is more active at night because we have raccoons, skunks and opossum that make their rounds. He will go outside while we are sleeping and roam the yard and bark here and there. In the winter he sleeps more especially if the heat in the house is comfortable.
    Gotham is on my wife's and I sleep schedule to help out with the potty training. She sleeps in our room and was making us up 4 to 5 hours to cry and go out. The last couple of nights she has slept a solid 8 hours. Hoping that keeps up. She does sleep in the bed with us. Tank prefers the couch.