1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What is the correct way to screen a potential new owner?

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by DocReverto, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

And that is exactly why I said make them walk through hot coals. Not everyone is honest on their application but if they had to walk through hot coals they would have to be very serious and hopefully more honest up front. It was said however a a joke but i do know a couple I would have like to make them walk the coals!!!

2. ZeldaRules

ZeldaRules Hot Topics Subscriber

I've been doing breed rescue for 8 years with organizations and some individual cases. A vet reference has always been required and in my experience, when I've called and said I'm with so and so rescue and explain the call, the receptionist are more than happy to oblige and look up the info I need. I've been surprised on more than one occasion by extra pets on file not mentioned on the application and deceased pets with the reason that was also not mentioned on the app. If a vet reference cannot be done, then before adoption it's required that they contact any vet they choose to use and set up an appointment for the dog they are going to adopt. Personal references are also a must of course. Now with me personally, i am a broke student and shop around. I use about 3-4 vets for different things so of course my pets histories are not going to be just at one vet. Knowing that I would give a rescue a heads up. So that's something to take into consideration too, there's lots of variables involved in the application process and everyone is going to do things a little differently.

A crucial step for me is the home visit WITH a dog. I had one app that looked so good on paper, all the references checked out, they said their dog is indoors and they just seemed like the greatest home. I took an old dog of mine along for the visit and could tell off the bat upon examination of their backyard and their resident dog that it definitely lived outside the majority of the day or night. While I was asking questions to the wife, her son kept throwing a soccer ball at my dog and he kept trying to retreat behind the couch and chair. I ended that visit quick and we sent her a rejection email. Wouldn't you know that she retaliated and freaked out on us for denying her... People are nuts and this is one reason why I stress home visits with dogs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MeadowCat

MeadowCat Well-Known Member

I try to bring a dog when I do home visits if it's at all possible. First, I feel safer :D Second, I really, really like to see how the people interact with my dog. It gives me a MUCH better idea of what kind of people they are.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ZeldaRules

ZeldaRules Hot Topics Subscriber

Yep! It can be interesting, especially when families or couples apply. I've taken dogs on visits and have witnessed half of the family totally scared and nervous around the breed. I've seen a husband totally ignore the dog and wanted nothing up to with it when on paper they stated that both people were on board and ready to adopt. I've also gotten different answers from the husband or wife with certain questions I've asked that didn't match up with the one who filled out the app.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Quee

Quee Hot Topics Subscriber

People definitely can be nuts, or just have a home life that's not suitable for a dog or the breed of dog they're considering. I think it really comes down to a gut feel - there are some people who I wouldn't adopt a fish out to - much less a dog - and it's easy to ferret them out. I definitely prefer to bring a dog with me, but not a candidate for adoption.

Things that cause me to reject a candidate:
    • Hitting or violence of any sort - I'm flabbergasted and enraged by people who don't have a clue that it's not OK to hit a dog - ever - least of all in an adoption evaluation!!!
    • Inappropriate interaction with a dog - I had one person many, many years ago, who for some reason couldn't stop pulling on my (Beagle) dog's ears to the point where it hurt him and my poor boy nipped at him which he never ever did
    • Lack of thinking through preparations for a dog - i.e. no thought about housing, cost and type of food, vaccines and health care, training, etc.
    • Any candidate who wants an 'outdoor' dog (i.e. one that lives outside and never in the house)
    • Any suspicion of dog fighting
    While most adopters are well-meaning and want a dog for well-intentioned reasons, not all are prepared for the responsibility once you give them an idea of the time and cost involved. The payback is enormous but I've seen a fair amount of people who aren't prepared or informed.

That said, I've seen and approved a lot of great candidates who were well matched with forever dog. At the end of the day you do have to make a judgment call, not just based on your interactions with the candidate, but based on your gut feel about how the person will do with an adopted dog.

• Like Like x 1