1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What is a rescue?

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Miller Dobes, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Miller Dobes

Miller Dobes Novitiate

What is a rescue? What makes it ethical? What makes it better or worse than others?

I have so much respect for rescues and I have fostered a few but I just wondered what makes it a good rescue.....and what makes it not, if there is such a thing. I was reading articles that not all rescues did what they say they do. I'd just wondered. Do you guys know?

Now know, I strongly believe without rescues, we would have a sad world. Those are the unsung heros for sure and the dogs benefit from it. But what is all the ta-do with bad rescues in the news?

Becky

Becky

2. MaddoxDobes

MaddoxDobes Member

IMO a good rescuer is someone who takes in a dog/cat any pet for that matter in need. I have rescued and fostered quite a bit this year. 1 kitten near death, 2 puppies that were left outside in the cold. A poor blue heeler that had his leg dilebratly chopped off, and Now Jade. People who don't have good intentions rescuing is someone who sees a stray on the street, brings them home. Chains them up outside and says they saved a life. They are some great people out there who help out pets in need, and you guys know who you are!

3. DoberDon

DoberDon Hot Topics Subscriber

I'd say in my opinion that a bad rescuer is more of a hoarder,in extreme cases like the "catwomen" who you see occasionally on the news with 75 or 100 cats(and their waste) in all states of health and diseases in a trailer somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MaddoxDobes

MaddoxDobes Member

Exactly DoberDon!

5. Miller Dobes

Miller Dobes Novitiate

Do most rescues spay or neuter the animals before placing them? I sure hope that is the norm.

I have had several dobies that were brought to me by the fire department or sheriff's. I live in the county but outside the city so they will not accept them at the city pound etc. I usually check with the dobe rescue in Bixby, Ok. and then, after a few months place the dog. I've always fixed them if the owners aren't located. You have to also be careful that the people identify the dogs, as I've been told they do horrible things to dobermans (dog baiting and all that) It scared me to death for the dogs.

I had a red female last year that had her teeth worn down from chewing on her chain. I assume a chain by the condition of her neck. She was a lovely girl and it was just so sad. Her teeth were broken in front. You could not keep her in a fence without you being right there. She jump it in a minute and on the loose you couldn't get her to come unless you opened the car door. She had tremendous prey drive but in the house was a pussy cat. She became the best housepet for a nice couple and loves her life now.

Christmas Eve, I helped a friend with a doberman that was actually staving to death. I have pictures if I could figure out how to send it. Unfricking real...........every bone in his body was showing.....it was unreal!
    Amazingly, he never became food aggressive. Just a sweet sweet boy and has a good home now too.

All this just breaks my heart to see any dog in this condition.....and you just wonder how people that let this happen to these dogs can live with themselves. I know that the "real" rescue people see a lot more, but this was enough for me. There seems to be one or two every year. I guess, if I come across a little harsh to people sometimes is I'm just worried about the puppies future. It is so important if you do breed a litter to keep up with them forever and to do all you can. Otherwise, they could be one of these poor babies.

I don't consider myself a rescue though......just part of being decent and having the room.

Becky

6. DoberDon

It takes a very special person to be able to deal with the things a rescuer sees on a regular basis without being quickly burned out or cronically depressed.I know I couldn't do it,I can get myself depressed just looking at the sad stories on petfinder!!
    The rescue place we've gotten our last 2 from definately spay/neuters every dog,also every one is chipped,given all their shots,tested for heartworm etc. and evaluated for temperment.All this plus feeding them and heating the building in these Michigan winters then adopting the adults out for only a 225$ "tax deductable donation" I would hope most responsible rescues at least spay/neuter,wouldn't make much sense to adopt out unfixed dogs and therefore just compound the problem!!

7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree, it's so sad to see some of the places that call themselves rescuers and stick the poor animal back in conditions sometimes worse than when they started.

I give a great amount of credit and admiration to the places who do it right and face the heartbreak of other peoples neglect every day. It has to be a hard thing to deal with at best, and it takes a strong courageous person to be able to cope with it on a regular basis in order to make life better for the innocent animals who got caught in the middle of other peoples irresponsibility.

As stated, I think the spay/neuter thing is essential along with a complete health check, vacs, rehab for a dog with behavior issues (along with training for the new family), and careful screening of a new owner are some of the things that should be covered with every rescue org.

8. MIA

MIA New Member

In my opinion all rescues should spay/neuter vet check all dogs prior to adoption. I do and refuse to let a dog go without it being done, puppies included and I know there is great debate about pediatric spay/neuter but it's the only way I can ensure a rescue will never be bred. As well all dogs are vetted, up to date on vaccines and as far as I know in good health, I can't predict future health of a dog. All dogs are temperament tested as I live with them day in day out as a family member in my home. Everything I know about the dog is disclosed to the adoptive home, copies of the vet bills as well. A reasonable adoption fee is asked, not a sale price, rescue shouldn't be making large profits. I cover my costs and that's it. I am open and honest about every dog I have and do my best to find the best match for the dog, if the dog isn't good with kids I won't even give it a try. I have no set rules for my rescue as each dog is different so each dog has a set of rules per say.

I will take back a dog at any time in it's life and all dogs are chipped in my name so if they end up in a shelter or lost I will get a call. I am here for the dogs forever, just as a reputable breeder is for their dogs. I stay in touch best I can with everyone, I am here for free training if need be, even have fundraisers if the dog needs medical help or if I have a little extra in the rescue fund it's for the dogs, past or present.

Good rescues have a clear mandate, are honest, happy to answer your questions and are there for the animals.

http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/rescue.htm

9. DoberDon

MIA;
    The world is a better place because of people like you,I don't know how rescue could be done any more responsibly,great job!!! I think you have exactly the correct view about puppy spay/neutering. You have to do it when YOU have control,not hope someone else will follow thru with their promise.I only hope in Canada as here you are at least able to get a nonprofit classification to help taxwise.

10. MIA

MIA New Member

You can get non-profit here etc too I just haven't as I am a small rescue and it's a lot of work, I still keep books and track everything as if someone asks I can show them, as well files for each dog I have helped. I don't ask for donations either. If I need money I have a garage sale, pub night whatever it takes.