1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What is a reputable breeder ?

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Dobified, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Dobified

Dobified Jr Member

I want to see where people stand on this....

In your opinion what makes a responsible reputable breeder of a Doberman Pinscher ?

I will get into what my thoughts are later.

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

People don't like my opinion on this subject, so I will leave it alone!

3. Dobified

Dobified Jr Member

You are entitled to your opinions I will not dislike you for them. I am hoping we can discuss it with out it being hot.

4. MaddoxDobes

MaddoxDobes Member

Reputable means many many things IMO. Like breeding to better the breed. Doing all the nessicary health testing. Titling their dogs in show or sports. Not selling their puppies to mills or pet shops. Not breeding 5 litters a year. Being a supportive breeder to all the puppy buyers. Screening homes to make sure the pups will go to the proper homes. The list goes on and on, but those are a few that come to mind

5. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

1. Thorough health testing BEFORE breeding (not just minimum)
    2. Uses dogs with sound temperaments
    3. Breeds dogs that conform to the Standard
    4. Exhibits their dogs (Conf, ScH, OB.....something)
    5. Breeds for the Standard
    6. Breeds for the betterment of the breed
    7. Selectively breeds to avoid passing on or compounding health issue
    8. Does not breed very often
    9. Does not place pups before 8-9 wks
    10. Knows a better home is more important than someone w/ cash in hand!
    11. Helping new owners with any and all aspects of raising their pup
    12. Will take back any pup/dog at any age

there are alot more, but here's my start!

6. MaddoxDobes

MaddoxDobes Member

Great ones Pam! I agree!

7. deladobies

deladobies Member

8. Dobified

Dobified Jr Member

:) Those are mine as well.

It is important to note a " breeder " should be knowledgable and before they consider breeding a dog should find a person that can mentor them beforehand. Sure anyone can breed a dog but to really know what they are doing they need to learn.

Also breeding to stardard is extremely important, standards are there for a reason and should be followed.

9. Kimbertalkls

Kimbertalkls New Member

Here is a different opinion on being reputable. Reputable means.
    –adjective 1. held in good repute; honorable; respectable; estimable: a reputable organization.
    2. considered to be good or acceptable usage; standard: reputable speech.
    having a good reputation; "a reputable business"; "a reputable scientist"; "a reputable wine" [ant: disreputable

So a reputable breeder would be someone who stands behind their dogs if there is a problem. They try and breed the best dogs they can by adding new bloodlines and genetically testing. They provide the best care for the puppies and dogs, not the most economical. They are there for their customers five years from now just like they are before the sale and the amount of return business and referrals are the proof. I prefer a breeder who has been around for more than 15 years to as very few breeders make it more than ten years so where will they be if I have a problem in five years...

Showing,competitions, trials, etc are the way to prove the dogs but whether or not a breeder competes does not make them reputable. We give a third of the purchase price back for an obedience title, championship, etc and alot of people get refunds through that. After 45 years of breeding we are a little old to run around the ring and handlers are just not the same as doing it yourself, thing especially with the greats like Al Levine gone. (I understand why so many older breeders start to co own many of their prospects now.) And what about the dogs who are working in drug enforcement, customs, helping the handicapped, etc. There is a lot of criteria that needs to be taken in before deciding that a breeder is a "backyard breeder" breeding only pet to pet. Reputable is pretty certain in longtime breeders, businesses, doctors since word of mouth would keep them from being longterm otherwise. Anne

• Like Like x 2
  10. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

Great post Ann!!

11. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I second what jstlovesdobes just said. :)

12. Sheepdog

Sheepdog New Member

Thank you. That is the best explanation I have read.

13. evasmom

evasmom Novitiate

I believe a good breeder breeds for themselves. If breeders only bred a litter that they wanted to keep a puppy from, then I would be sure that they are as excited about the litter as they say I should be. To me, that means a good breeder will only have one litter a year.

Of course the standard health testing and titling (in something, or real working dog) of BOTH parents are a must for me too.