• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

what exactly is socialization?

stxrry

Hello all! Thank you so much for the help in the last post.
As some as you know, I’m getting my first dobie in April! When Im doing reasearch on Dobermans socialization comes up a lot! A lot of people do a lot of different thing and it has me a little…overwhelmed?
I know socialization is as it suggests lol but I feel like I dont get the idea of it or how I could do it. Can somebody properly explain this please? :) Thank you in advanced!

Exposure to many things - people, dogs, noises, stores, traffic etc. Exposure means they see & observe it, not that they have to take part in it! Ideally they will get use to chaos around them but still pay attention to you. As puppies they will be fascinated with the new sights and sounds and it's ok to let them observe, but keep treats or a tug/rope on you so you can make yourself the most fun of all that's happening. Depending on the character of your puppy, it may be timid & shy & overwhelmed or it may want to go jump on every human & dog it sees wanting to play or it may want to bark or growl at everyone new. In all these cases you want to let your dog see the surroundings but keep finding you to be the most fun. Distract with food or a little game of tug to say "Ah, that's just a truck with no muffler - looky here what I found! your favorite squeaky toy!" and commence to make a fun thing.

Dog Parks can ruin a puppy for life with one bad incident, even if it's a friendly dog playing too hard it can overwhelm a young puppy or even an older dog,

Keep asking questions, it's the best way to learn! Also there is a search bar for this forum so you can probably find some similar subjects. Feel free to wake up some old threads about anything if you find something to ask more about.

I also highly recommend this spotify playlist. I use it for Revel and actually, even my adult dog for when barking dogs start playing!

Play it at a very low volume intially for 30 min. Gradually increase the volume over time. For my adult dog, she is very reactive to dogs barking or tags jingling. I play it low enough to where she is just barely perking up to the noise and then I either reward her for not reacting (for her it is explosive barking/hackles up/storming the house looking for the dog) or ask her to work during the sound, then reward.

Thank you both ! It makes a ton of sense to me now!
and that Spotify playlist is definitely smart and will be using it! :)

LOL, @Rits - I pushed play and Asha was sound asleep, didn't even twitch an ear at the jet flying overhead, then it went to the Airport Security and she exploded barking. I couldn't hear people talking or anything, but I guess she did.

To prove an old "dog" (me) can learn new tricks: I have considered socialization to mean letting your dog meet everyone who wants to meet it. That is how I've done it with my last two Dobes. (My first Dobe, I didn't socialize at all except with a very small handful of my closest friends. He wound up having nipping people as his default mode). Well, we know what hand sluts Dobermans are, yes? Letting everyone meet him enables this breed tendency.

With my next dog, I may try a different type of socialization where I take him into public places, but I don't let many (or any?) people meet him. Rather, I will try to focus his attention on me around other people and animals. Operative word: "try"

To me, desensitizing your Dobe to lots of noises and sights and phenomenon is something that I don't call socialization. I call it desensitization. But yes, do it! My last Dobe, I remember, was spooked at first by automatically opening doors like you see on some businesses. One of his nemeses was sprinklers on folks' lawns – because Doberman.

LOL, @Rits - I pushed play and Asha was sound asleep, didn't even twitch an ear at the jet flying overhead, then it went to the Airport Security and she exploded barking. I couldn't hear people talking or anything, but I guess she did.
LOL, sort of glad I'm not alone and its as if you didn't have enough homework to work on :D I already see improvement with Ripley and the barking, so I need to do another session sometime soon when I can squeeze it in...

I also highly recommend this spotify playlist. I use it for Revel and actually, even my adult dog for when barking dogs start playing!

Play it at a very low volume intially for 30 min. Gradually increase the volume over time. For my adult dog, she is very reactive to dogs barking or tags jingling. I play it low enough to where she is just barely perking up to the noise and then I either reward her for not reacting (for her it is explosive barking/hackles up/storming the house looking for the dog) or ask her to work during the sound, then reward.
What a thorough playlist! Great idea.

The only thing I can think to add to environmental exposure is bridges. Kaiser seemed to not like them because of how unstable they can feel under your feet. And elevators!

The only thing I can think to add to environmental exposure is bridges. Kaiser seemed to not like them because of how unstable they can feel under your feet. And elevators!
Proves how different they can all be! This is Asha at 16 months old, walking over an abandoned mine on Nat'l Forest land. The state fixes them so wildlife (including people & dogs) can't fall in. Covered in expanded metal, about 20 feet down that hole to water, all the little rocks and debris tumbling down making splashing noises. I was about scared !-less, but Asha just plowed on over it, looking down & smelling all the smells like it was nothing.

Attachments

• P1310527.JPG
    P1310527.JPG
    748.7 KB · Views: 3
LOL, sort of glad I'm not alone and its as if you didn't have enough homework to work on :D I already see improvement with Ripley and the barking, so I need to do another session sometime soon when I can squeeze it in...
do you just let the whole play list go? or do you choose certain ones?

We bark at cats, old men on golf carts and select bicycles. Oh, and the sump pump coming on. We only bark at strangers if they don’t pet us I.e. hand slut 🤣

Proves how different they can all be! This is Asha at 16 months old, walking over an abandoned mine on Nat'l Forest land. The state fixes them so wildlife (including people & dogs) can't fall in. Covered in expanded metal, about 20 feet down that hole to water, all the little rocks and debris tumbling down making splashing noises. I was about scared !-less, but Asha just plowed on over it, looking down & smelling all the smells like it was nothing.
Yes! I recall the abandoned mine and that is definitely a large area she is walking over 👍 Kaiser would sort of crouch/crawl over such a surface and lower his head.

do you just let the whole play list go? or do you choose certain ones?
I was letting the playlist go for Revel and would replay ones I noticed Ripley reacting to and work on. Surprise, those were always dogs barking sounds 😂 Ended on a good note when she was no longer reactive and looking for treats when she heard barking instead.

Back