What do you think posting time?

MichiH

Hot Topics Subscriber
Wednesday this week when I changed posts.
She’ll be 6 months in a week. Should I attempt to let them stand alone then? Or wait? Not sure how you know when teething is over. Do not want to screw this up.

Attachments

• IMG_3716.jpeg
    IMG_3716.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 2
Keep posting lol not done yet. Teething is over when all adult teeth have completely come in :)

How long has she ever been left out of posts? I wouldn't do it cold turkey. I think I just started leaving the posts out for a few hours, go for a hike or something where I could watch the movement, how much the tips were flipping when she ran, and I knew she would not be napping. They never creased, never flopped down, instantly stood if I squeaked a toy etc., but I still put them back up for another 2 - 3 days, then when I took the posts out I left them out for longer and longer periods. I didn't keep detailed notes so I don't remember exactly, but that's the idea. I also have a medium crop and I'm sure that has lots to do with being done at 6 months. And I used the Breathe Right strips for some time on those flippy tips.

How long has she ever been left out of posts? I wouldn't do it cold turkey. I think I just started leaving the posts out for a few hours, go for a hike or something where I could watch the movement, how much the tips were flipping when she ran, and I knew she would not be napping. They never creased, never flopped down, instantly stood if I squeaked a toy etc., but I still put them back up for another 2 - 3 days, then when I took the posts out I left them out for longer and longer periods. I didn't keep detailed notes so I don't remember exactly, but that's the idea. I also have a medium crop and I'm sure that has lots to do with being done at 6 months. And I used the Breathe Right strips for some time on those flippy tips.
She’s only been out for 2.5 days a few weeks ago because her one ear was irritated. Ears stayed up for that time.

I believe she has a medium crop also. Am I correct?

I have noticed the tips do flop around when out of posts for a little bit. Hour max I’ve done here and there. Is that a sign of needing to keep posting?

I’m going to wait for sure, but wondering when I can mess with them.

Thanks again for your help!

I believe she has a medium crop also. Am I correct?
I can't really tell, but it's shorter than a long show crop, looks like to me. If she didn't have any problems for a couple of days out of posts, I'd start leaving them out for several hours to half a day every time you take the posts out and just see how it goes. Keep an eye on it though and first sign of weakness get them back up. I know there are many people here with longer crops and more experience and maybe better safe than sorry. I'm just saying what I did. 😬

I can't really tell, but it's shorter than a long show crop, looks like to me. If she didn't have any problems for a couple of days out of posts, I'd start leaving them out for several hours to half a day every time you take the posts out and just see how it goes. Keep an eye on it though and first sign of weakness get them back up. I know there are many people here with longer crops and more experience and maybe better safe than sorry. I'm just saying what I did. 😬
No, sorry at all, you’re thinking what I’m thinking. They did well weeks ago and I think once she hits 6 months I’ll see how it goes few hours out of posts. If they wilt I’ll put them up asap.

Asha at one week before 6 months: I was done posting because the BR strips are in. I think Ashas are a little shorter than Peppers, but maybe it's just a different shape but same length???

Attachments

• P1290306.JPG
    P1290306.JPG
    809 KB · Views: 3
  • P1290309.JPG
    P1290309.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3
Asha at one week before 6 months: I was done posting because the BR strips are in. I think Ashas are a little shorter than Peppers, but maybe it's just a different shape but same length???
hmmm maybe a bit shorter. Pepper has like a leaf shape if that makes sense, so the tip is skinner. I’m sure there’s a proper works lol. So idk if that’s what makes them look longer? Crap well I’m going to be safe with this then.

Asha is adorable 🥰

I’m jealous she’s playing with your cat. Pepper is too forceful with my cat.

I’m jealous she’s playing with your cat. Pepper is too forceful with my cat.
LOL, That cat taught Asha right off the bat not to mess with him. So funny how animals communicate so well. Ritzar got in her face on day 1 and said "don't you mess with me" and Asha evidently heard it loud and clear. She will run circles and zoom around him, chase him up a tree, but half the time Ritzar starts it and it's a game to him too. Asha has never touched him, total respect. I can't take any credit for training that, the cat did it all. And he's 14 years old now (10 in that picture).

LOL, That cat taught Asha right off the bat not to mess with him. So funny how animals communicate so well. Ritzar got in her face on day 1 and said "don't you mess with me" and Asha evidently heard it loud and clear. She will run circles and zoom around him, chase him up a tree, but half the time Ritzar starts it and it's a game to him too. Asha has never touched him, total respect. I can't take any credit for training that, the cat did it all. And he's 14 years old now (10 in that picture).
My cat needs to be told that! He has hit Pepper 2 x and she isn’t aggressive towards the cat. She is dying to play! My poor cat does try and then retreats. He’s indoor outdoor and he’ll follow us from afar on walks lol he’s trying. He runs and it just gets Pepper fired up to chase him.

If he was out of post for 2.5 days and they did not falter…then I would be pretty confident to say that his base is good to go.

The tips are going to be flippy for some time. I would use the Breathe-Rite strips for a while and be very attentive.

How much of the tips are flippy? Some say only the tips but then they really mean the top 1/3rd and to me that isn't done. They look pretty good in the above picture but that can be deceiving too because we can't see how lucid the tips are. Any chance you can take a video of her moving around?

6 months is pretty early and wishful as the adult teeth aren't fully in yet! Fully in would be all the way erupted to normal full adult size, not just through the gums. Midgarden, that cropped my litter's ears, said length has little to do with when they are done and is more determined by genetics (ie: the type of ear such as thickness and when the dog's ears would genetically harden if they were natural). Every dog is different because of this.

In my experience across 3 dobes so far, they were not done until 7-9 months. Done being completely straight, no bend. Everyone has their own leeway for what is considered done and standing. My longest ears actually were done the earliest. :D I do think Pepper's ears are slightly longer than Asha's. They are close to Ripley's which were not considered to be a long show crop by Midgarden.

How much of the tips are flippy? Some say only the tips but then they really mean the top 1/3rd and to me that isn't done. They look pretty good in the above picture but that can be deceiving too because we can't see how lucid the tips are. Any chance you can take a video of her moving around?

6 months is pretty early and wishful as the adult teeth aren't fully in yet! Fully in would be all the way erupted to normal full adult size, not just through the gums. Midgarden, that cropped my litter's ears, said length has little to do with when they are done and is more determined by genetics (ie: the type of ear such as thickness and when the dog's ears would genetically harden if they were natural). Every dog is different because of this.

In my experience across 3 dobes so far, they were not done until 7-9 months. Done being completely straight, no bend. Everyone has their own leeway for what is considered done and standing. My longest ears actually were done the earliest. :D I do think Pepper's ears are slightly longer than Asha's. They are close to Ripley's which were not considered to be a long show crop by Midgarden.

Thank you for taking the time and explaining this all, very informative. Appreciate it.

As for the tips they aren’t too flippy. I’ll get a video of her this weekend when I change the posts. That’ll be Sunday unless we get more rain I’ll do it sooner.

I do believe she has lost all of her teeth at this time and I do want to wait a bit more until I let her test her ears. My fear would be for her to sleep on one and damage the cartilage.

I do believe she has lost all of her teeth at this time and I do want to wait a bit more until I let her test her ears.
I kind of like to wait until the adult teeth are fully in too.

Yay! You did it!! Haha you are very welcome!

Gee, those look really stiff through the tips and ready for breathe rites while you test them. If the breathe rited tips don't sag or bow back/forward any, I'd say you are good to stick with them. Lucky you with those good ear genetics!!

Yay! You did it!! Haha you are very welcome!

Gee, those look really stiff through the tips and ready for breathe rites while you test them. If the breathe rited tips don't sag or bow back/forward any, I'd say you are good to stick with them. Lucky you with those good ear genetics!!
😍 oh my really?! Thank you for assessing her ears! Really appreciate it!

Awesome, I’ll try the strips today. I have her new posts ready, but I’ll hold off.

As for the strips I keep on for how long? And let her go the night no posts or strips?

☺️ thank you

As for the strips I keep on for how long?
Until they fall off so days...weeks... When they fall off, put new ones on. It's so much easier than posting and no sense letting the tips waver.

You may want to get skin adhesive like Torbot online as the glue that comes on the breathe rites doesn't last nearly long enough.

And let her go the night no posts or strips?
Stay wearing strips overnight 24/7. Just watch the ear like you would between posting. Any sign of huge ear wrinkles on the main part of the ear to indicate sagging, or the tips heavily leaning forward, repost in full posts and try strips again in the future.

Back