1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What are these things on my boys paws?

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by LeopoldnRuger, Feb 10, 2019.

1. LeopoldnRuger

LeopoldnRuger New Member

Noticed about a week ago that my boy had a sore paw and within that week I never thought much more of it. Today I went to clio his nails and he yelped, so under further inspection I found that inside each paw was these protruding masses that seemed to be sensitive. I soaked his feet in Epsom salts this evening but if anyone has any ideas let me know. We will be taking him to the vet if they persist into the week but would obviously like to deal with it if possible without vet bills.

Attached Files:

2. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Have they been licking their feet ?

3. LeopoldnRuger

LeopoldnRuger New Member

No not at all

4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I see a black circle like something stuck in the foot.

5. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

So it’s on all 4 paws?

Do they salt the roads in your area?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  6. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Still limping on foot?? Could have gotten something caught in there that caused a wound and now it’s infected. It looks kinda blistered and infected. Does it smell bad? Is it pussy? I could be wrong because of my view but I don’t think I like the blackness of it, usually that means necrotic tissue.

You know, last month I was walking Ragnar down the road at night offleash. He went into someone’s yard running around and I called him back. As soon as he came to the road he started limping and whimpering really bad. Of course I am like, “oh shit, what’s wrong with my boy....” damn, I swear he causes me more worry than my three girls do.

Anyway, he had a gum ball caught in between his foot pads. Of course it hurt, that thing is spiked and round. A perfect fit in between there.

493FA7A6-159D-43A9-A983-37A511F0498D.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Antman408

Antman408 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

I’d just bring him to the vet. We can only make educated guesses and if it’s causing him to yelp he’s obviously in apt of pain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LeopoldnRuger

LeopoldnRuger New Member

It's on all four paws and smaller on the other paws, they do salt bit not much and it's way far up into the webbing of his paw, not on the pads at all. Here's pictures of the other paws

Attached Files:

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
  9. LeopoldnRuger

LeopoldnRuger New Member

Yes, if you take a read I said I will be taking him to the vet. Thank you.

10. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Boy, I don't know!

My feeling is some sort of infection, but I'm very far from knowledgeable about health issues.

Could it be bug bites?

Glad you soaked his paws, as I'd want to make sure they are very clean in order to try to get those bumps to go away.

My go-to in life is to put rubbing alcohol on stuff.

Not much that some rubbing alcohol, some kale, drinking plenty of water and chinups can't cure. Well, dogs can't do chinups very well I guess.

11. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Looks like a yeast infection. The paws look inflammed and irritated. Is there a smell?

12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Have you been walking them during the cold spell? I'm wondering if it's frostbite with the black spots?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  13. Oh Little Oji

The only way I could see frostbite occurring way up in there is from snow getting up in there.

Snow packing in the paws can make them bleed. Is it possible this has been happening?

14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I always heard snow packs itself up into their paws when a dog is walking versus running off leash.

15. Oh Little Oji

I know it happens when playing frisbee with your dog in the snow.

16. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Interdigital Furunculosis Maybe?

Worth a read sounds very similar to what is going on with you’re boy.

Abscesses Between the Toes (Interdigital Furunculosis) in Dogs - Dog Owners - Veterinary Manual

Piece from the article

Interdigital Furunculosis

An abscess, or localized infection of the skin, between the toes is also called an interdigital furuncle. It is similar to a severely infected pimple or boil on the face. These painful, pus-filled blisters often occur in the webbing between a dog’s toes.

The most common cause of furuncles between the toes is a deep bacterial infection. Many dog breeds (for example, Chinese Shar-Peis, Labrador Retrievers, and English Bulldogs) are predisposed to the condition because they have short, bristly hairs on the webbing between the toes and/or prominent amounts of webbing. The short hair shafts are easily forced backward into the hair follicles while the dog is walking. Ingrown hairs are very inflammatory in the skin, and secondary bacterial infections are common.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Interdigital cysts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. LeopoldnRuger

LeopoldnRuger New Member

Thank you I'll look into that.

19. LeopoldnRuger

LeopoldnRuger New Member

I'll Google it thank you for the help

20. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Not sure who's grand idea it was to plant those trees in anyone's yard but perhaps corporal punishment is in order. Apparently they were a very popular tree when our house was built! EVERYBODY seems to have one! :mad: My dogs re so used to them now, they step one and instantly lay down and take it out with their teeth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1