Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What age was your dog house trained? Need advice

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Scarletlynn, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Scarletlynn

Scarletlynn New Member

Scarlet is 7 months old now and she is still having accidents here and there, not every day but once a week or two she does. For the most part she is good about going outside but she just had an accident on the carpet just now and went out not even an hour ago. I feel like this is usually the case, because I take her out quite often, and sometimes I feel like she goes in the house out of defiance or when she feels she isn’t getting enough attention. Any advice? Is it normal for a 7 month old to still be having accidents? I use a go potty command every time she does go outside and give her a reward, as I’ve been doing since I got her at 9 weeks.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

First question is if you have ruled out a uti, (urinary tract infection). It is a simple test at the vet. 7 months seems old to still be having accidents if there are no physical causes. It won't be defiance or attention getting as that isn't how their minds work. Maybe she gets distracted from completely emptying her bladder when she is out? I've not had this problem so just hazarding a guess. Others will have more ideas soon I'm sure. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

So does that mean you are going out with her?
    Another question, what are you you to cleanup her accidents?

4. Scarletlynn

Scarletlynn New Member

I use a special cleaner for dog accidents and a green machine carpet cleaner, and yes I never let her go out unattended or else she gets distracted and doesn’t go

• Like Like x 3
  5. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

My guy was potty trained by 10 weeks, first two weeks I brought him out every half hour or so and rewarded with a treat when he used the restroom.

repetition is key, also you may want to check for uti.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

If it's not a UTI, which seems pretty common in females, then I'd limit water. You do want to make sure she has enough water during the day, but if you control and measure it, you can determine how quickly her body processes it. It's good that you go out with her, because they tend not to potty if you don't stand there and give that specific command.

7. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

7 months is still young so occasional accidents can still happen. I would continue to leash her and take her out to her potty spot in the yard each time to go, giving her cue to go then remain silent no attention until she goes. Then lots of praise and back inside. The picture must be different then when you go outside to play. Hang in there she will get it. Remember, If you catch her going in the house, give a quick no or wrong command and take her right out to her potty spot in the yard. If she goes in the house and you dont see her, just clean it up, no correction. Dogs live in the moment so she will not understand what she did just that you are angry and upset and can lead to mistrusting you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

GREAT! If there is no medical problem, I would follow @Doberman Gang advice. That's how I do it and it works! If she wants to be stubborn about it, you can tether her to you to catch her before she goes inside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

B & B were house trained within 12-14 days of me getting them. I took off work for a full month to get that part of their training done. I also did not allow water consumption after 6:30 to 7pm at night.

We had occasional accidents of excitement dribble when someone would come over and start baby talking them. I had to correct the people visiting about approaching them causing excitement.

Keep working with her and understand that dogs do not think in terms of revenge, they do not think like humans (thank goodness, otherwise all us humans would be in a world of hurt. :D)
    They truly want to please. They react to your emotions and body language when you are displeased. As @Doberman Gang said, if you don’t see it happen, clean up and move on without corrections. Always set them up for success and soon she will learn that potty is for outdoors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

Mine were all trained a week or two after I got the pups. Now, was I trained or were they:rofl:I used the same, went with them, same spot, and made a big deal and treats. Check for UTI since female, then go forward. You are doing all the right things for your girl, they are all different, could be doberteens too:groan:

11. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

Our guy had random, spaced out accidents up until 8 months :facepalm:sometimes a week or 2 apart and we would call it the pee walk. He'd just be walking alone and leave a drilled trail behind him, didn't even lift his leg. We had him checked by the vet, cleaned with the special enzyme cleaner and just had to watch his water intact until it finally stopped. Our vet said for our guy his bladder might just not have been mature yet. I can say I was behind grateful when it stopped for good though:woot:.

Great advice in this thread too!

12. Brevig

Brevig Hot Topics Subscriber

My girl is 7 months old and she is basically the same as yours, 1-2 accidents a week.

I get 1-2 a month still that she does with me awake and nearby, then run to her crate and be totally submissive (fastest downs in her cage, which she is normally slow to listen to down in her cage for some reason). I do think the issue is largely on my part that when I take her out, and then she wants to sunbathe and I have to work I bring her in too quick, and then my better half not taking her out enough when I'm asleep (we kinda do shifts with her as our sleeping schedule overlaps less than half, and peeing on her shift is MOST of the accidents, haha). My girl only has access to outside when we take her out (she never goes out unsupervised, or have a doggy door, etc).

I agree with @Doberman Gang that 7 months is old and occasional accidents are normal. Like, my dogs most recent accident was today, with over a week without, but it was when she had her "pampers" taken off inside the house, and right after she did it IN her pampers outside the house (confusion, and pampers I mean for her blood, she is in heat).

My sweet heart, Asul (RIP), was maybe slightly ahead, but after 1-2 years she would only have an accident maybe 1-2x a year at most, and only when we really neglected her BUT she would pee when super exited (in combination with the but shaking faster than her tail, haha). Anyways, so it does get better with time.

WOW, I'm glad I don't have carpet (all tile, hehehe).

13. Maja Rocks

Maja Rocks $ Forum Donor $

Maja was pretty much house broke at between 4 & 5 months...
    Then at 6 months & a week (I remember because it was a week after her 6 month check up.)
    She had a sudden back slide with 2 urinary "accidents" in 2 days.
    I took her to vet because she also started peeing multiple times like every 5 mineuts when we went to the park.
    I thought maybe a UTI?
    Didn't want to correct her for a medical problem that she can't help...
    Nope no UTI or any other medical issues... Vet said she probably just stared marking behavior....
    Really a 6 month old bitch marking? Huh...Weird never had a 6 month old bitch do that.

She is 7 months old now and so far no more accidents since fingers crossed.
    I am still not sure why the 2 accidents suddenly after about 6 weeks with none.

Puppies have "accidents" from time to time it comes with the territory.
    I think usually it's because when we figure house breaking is finally behind us we become a lot less diligent about watching for "I have to Potty" behavior than when going thru the early stages of house breaking training.

Cheers
    MR

14. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think that's true too. Also we have to learn the signs. They're giving us signs that they have to go outside. Sometimes we miss them. We got Buddy from the breeder at 7 months old and shortly after was only one time he did something in the house. And that time I had company. Probably not paying attention that the dog was excited and hadn't gone out for a while. And he ended up pooping on the floor. My fault and that was the last time he ever did anything in the house.

• Like Like x 2
  15. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

@Scarletlynn
    Any updates