• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Western Ky Western Tn breeders

Anyone know anything about Sierra Dobermans in Memphis, TN?
Looking further at Sierra Dobe's website, I do see that they list health testing results on some of the Dobe studs.

I must say that in looking at the "testimonials" section, I did not like the looks of the Dobes the buyers provided. Not terrible, but not what I was expecting. Also, it seems they might tend to crop the pups' ears in a style I don't like.

That said, I'm keeping an open mind about them.

Red flags??
Where to start?

Well, overall I don't see evidence that they know what the heck they're doing. I just see a pic of a male and female Dobe and that they sell pups. I don't like the look of the sire, dam or pups.

Seems like an irresponsible little operation where they just breed and are willing to sell pups for money.

They simply present a very general description of the breed. So, we should trust you produce high-quality pups because you present a paragraph generally outlining the highlights of the breed? They need to present solid, proven evidence that they care about bettering the breed (the only legitimate reason to breed) and are capable of doing so.

As always, I could be wrong, but that's my strong impression.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and opinions. After reading on this site that was my thinking, but just wanted some thoughts from someone smarter than myself.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and opinions. After reading on this site that was my thinking, but just wanted some thoughts from someone smarter than myself.
No problem. Maybe someone smarter than me will chime in tomorrow! :)

Also found this one while doing a search, I think I know what the answer will be, but would rather hear the thoughts of people who know more than myself.

Our Puppies

I would pass.
No health testing listed. They state "healthy" dobermans but show no proof of that. Red Flag.
Nothing about their pedigree just a picture of the (maybe its not even the parents?) sire and dam. Red Flag.
No involvement with any doberman clubs.
No involvement with showing of any sort to prove their breed stock.
No involvement in any thing with their dogs to prove their temperament and obedience in a public setting. Red Flags.

Sierra Dobermans
Better? Compared to the other one, yes. Depends on what you are looking for... Health testing is listed, which is good. I personally would like to see them do something with their dogs, anything is better than nothing. I also don't like their use of the word large for describing the doberman. I also am personally not a fan of kennel breeders on top of them not doing anything with their dogs, so how do they get exposed and test their temperament in a real world setting? Temperament is so important in breeding it'd help if they proved their stock.

I would try getting in contact with a local doberman club and get some connections from there! Maybe also look into nearby shows. :) There are a lot of breeders that go by word of mouth. You could also try the Doberman Pinscher Breeder Listings group on Facebook if you have Facebook. Doberman Pinscher Breeder Listings Do a search in the group to find nearby breeders or make your own post.

Just thought of a breeder in Kentucky. I personally love the look of Slick!
Jagerdobes Dobermans - Breeders of Champion Dobermans in Kentucky
They are expecting a litter in spring.

As a person that just brought a pup home in December, I'll put my 2¢ and anyone can take it or leave.

I started my search well before I lost my girl. Not trying to replace her, I just know we are a 2 dobe family.
I can't even begin to tell you how many breeders I investigated....hundreds!
I started with a list of what I wanted in a dog, health and temperament being at the top of the list. I also had a list of what is important in a breeder. That list included things like do they show/train their dogs? The contract they offered, yes a biggie for me because it includes things like when you have to alter the pup.
Websites, to me are a start but breeders are infamous for not keeping them them updated. That said, some things I saw on websites were definitely a deal breaker. For example the link posted above Our Puppies was an instant NO WAY! the minute I saw the pups were $700. I would wonder about the care of the dogs if you sell pups for that price. If you are giving the right care, there is no way to keep the doors open.
I understand I have a long list of demands (I only touched on it....it goes on and on) but it was important for me to get the right pup and the right breeder. IMHO, it is important for a puppy buyer to know what is important, what flags to look for and to be patient and wait for the right choice, it pays off in the end.

The Our Puppies site made me freeze with an emphatic NO!!!

The cost was the first red flag as @GennyB said there is no way they can produce quality, healthy pups and sell for that price. It reeks of BYB and you certainly do not want to support that. Anyone can breed dogs and you may get a good healthy one but the odds are certainly against it. There is no mention of health testing, pedigree on the parents or any efforts on producing a working or conformation dog or anything that indicates they are trying to better the breed.
I wasn't impressed with Sierra Dobes either. Sorry I don't mean to be so negative but I know from experience how important it is to do the research and find a healthy, well bred Doberman since this breed is fraught with health problems.

I would pass.
No health testing listed. They state "healthy" dobermans but show no proof of that. Red Flag.
Nothing about their pedigree just a picture of the (maybe its not even the parents?) sire and dam. Red Flag.
No involvement with any doberman clubs.
No involvement with showing of any sort to prove their breed stock.
No involvement in any thing with their dogs to prove their temperament and obedience in a public setting. Red Flags.

Better? Compared to the other one, yes. Depends on what you are looking for... Health testing is listed, which is good. I personally would like to see them do something with their dogs, anything is better than nothing. I also don't like their use of the word large for describing the doberman. I also am personally not a fan of kennel breeders on top of them not doing anything with their dogs, so how do they get exposed and test their temperament in a real world setting? Temperament is so important in breeding it'd help if they proved their stock.
If I could hit the agree button 10 times I would for this post!!

Thank you all so much! Those were my thoughts on the second breeder listed, but wanted to see what the more educated people would say first. Like I stated in the first post; I was raised with a Doberman and have had two of my own, just didn't get the longevity from them. I'm sure this will sound stupid, BUT I do not understand pedigrees very well, to me they are confusing.

I would try getting in contact with a local doberman club and get some connections from there! Maybe also look into nearby shows. :) There are a lot of breeders that go by word of mouth. You could also try the Doberman Pinscher Breeder Listings group on Facebook if you have Facebook. Doberman Pinscher Breeder Listings Do a search in the group to find nearby breeders or make your own post.

Just thought of a breeder in Kentucky. I personally love the look of Slick!
Jagerdobes Dobermans - Breeders of Champion Dobermans in Kentucky
They are expecting a litter in spring.
In looking at the Jagerdobes website, I saw they had a Dobe out of the kennel A'carrig Dobermans in Kentucky. They state on their website that they are located in Northern Kentucky. I live just a couple miles from Northern KY, as the crow flies. I remember looking into this breeder when I was conducting my pup search. I may even have contacted them and not heard back from them. (Something you will get used to as you search for a breeder, sadly).

http://acarrigdobermanpinschers.webs.com

As a person that just brought a pup home in December, I'll put my 2¢ and anyone can take it or leave.

I started my search well before I lost my girl. Not trying to replace her, I just know we are a 2 dobe family.
I can't even begin to tell you how many breeders I investigated....hundreds!
I started with a list of what I wanted in a dog, health and temperament being at the top of the list. I also had a list of what is important in a breeder. That list included things like do they show/train their dogs? The contract they offered, yes a biggie for me because it includes things like when you have to alter the pup.
Websites, to me are a start but breeders are infamous for not keeping them them updated. That said, some things I saw on websites were definitely a deal breaker. For example the link posted above Our Puppies was an instant NO WAY! the minute I saw the pups were $700. I would wonder about the care of the dogs if you sell pups for that price. If you are giving the right care, there is no way to keep the doors open.
I understand I have a long list of demands (I only touched on it....it goes on and on) but it was important for me to get the right pup and the right breeder. IMHO, it is important for a puppy buyer to know what is important, what flags to look for and to be patient and wait for the right choice, it pays off in the end.
One of the first pictures of one of the puppies popped up and it nails are extremely long, sorry huge red flag. Where is the proper care of these puppies. They claim to be dogs breed from euro champions but dogs don't have what I would call a euro look let alone champion euro look.

Like I stated in the first post; I was raised with a Doberman and have had two of my own, just didn't get the longevity from them. I'm sure this will sound stupid, BUT I do not understand pedigrees very well, to me they are confusing.

Maybe this will help, I'm sure others will have valuable info to add to help read a pedigree. Every breeder should be able to supply at least 3 generations back. 5 would be better. :)
Pedigree

If you see WZ in the registration numbers, run.
"WZ" in AKC a Doberman Registration Number

For longevity, you can search the doberman's registered name in the longevity program. These are registered dogs who have lived to the age of 10 or greater. They will be marked with an LC on their name.
The DPCA | Longevity Program
The DPCA | Longevity Program | LC Listing

Also found this one while doing a search, I think I know what the answer will be, but would rather hear the thoughts of people who know more than myself.

Our Puppies
Not reputable. No record of health testing and no titles on breeding dogs.

A'Carrig Dobermans is in Kentucky as is Ashtrick Dobermans. Both I know personally and are reputable.

Back