1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Western Ky Western Tn breeders

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Mkemp270, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Mkemp270

Mkemp270 New Member

Hello,
    I am looking for a reputable breeder to buy a puppy from. I've owned two Dobermans in the past, lost my first female to bone cancer. My second Doberman was a two year old male that a breeder took back, he died at 6 to kidney failure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  2. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Your best bet is to start with the DPCA breeder referral DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral
    The only breeder name in KY that I'm familiar with is Swift Run. They're working line dobermans - at least as far as I know. I'm sure it is possible they have conformation and/or pet quality as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mkemp270

Mkemp270 New Member

Thank you for the reply! I have checked the DPCA breeder referral with no luck. I have spoken with Tammy Marshall at Swift Run, she is so knowledgeable and very nice. She had a young dog that was returned to her, because he was too much for the lady to handle, but she didn't think he would be a good fit for me because I have a two year old son in the house.

• Like Like x 3
  4. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Have you looked at AKC Marketplace? You still have to do your research but we got a great pup through there referral program.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mkemp270

Mkemp270 New Member

No I have not checked there, I will do that. Thank you

6. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hi and Welcome from SW Ohio!

What "kind" of Doberman are you interested in? Are you interested in one that is from working lines? Or are you interested in one that is from conformation lines? Or other?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  7. Mkemp270

Mkemp270 New Member

I'm interested in a good mixture of both, if that makes sense. I would like a dog a with a "little" bit of drive, not necessarily as much as the IPO dogs have. If that is possible. As far as conformation goes I don't want a "big" Doberman, I see a lot sites saying they have big dogs weighing at above 100 pounds. I've always thought a Doberman shouldn't be that big.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

Got it. Well-said.

Well, a good conformation breeder will probably not be touting Dobermans of 100 lbs., by the way. That said, I think that some breeders in Europe who breed a mix of working and conformation might sometimes have male specimens of about 100 lbs.

Okay, well I know of a good working breeder in KY, (not the one my boy came from, fyi – Oji came from a different state), but they would not be a good choice for you based on what you want.

9. Oh Little Oji

Speaking of Europe, have you considered importing? It's my understanding that some of the European breeders produce Dobermanns with a mix of working and confo. lines. We have at least three members here who have imported from a particular breeder like this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Check out Masaya Dobermans in Kentucky. Beautiful Dobes! Most are working but might have a mix.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome to DCF from Florida
    I have nothing to add since my breeder is in Texas.

Best of luck to you!!

12. Mkemp270

Mkemp270 New Member

Thank you all for the replies I really appreciate it!!

13. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

FYI, Brandi has moved to Iowa. Her dogs are definitely working dogs and VERY high drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Yep, she is in Iowa, she does have a bitch getting ready to have puppies. May have a puppy that would work but her dogs are normally higher drive.

15. Oh Little Oji

Actually Masaya has moved to Iowa I believe. Brandi got married and moved there last I heard. I doubt they are producing anything but straight up working lines by the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm not familiar with breeders in that area but I just wanted to say welcome.

17. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Right Brandi is Masaya in Iowa and Tammy is Swift Run in KY. Both are working lines / high drive.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mkemp270

Mkemp270 New Member

Anyone know anything about Sierra Dobermans in Memphis, TN?

19. Oh Little Oji

Haven't heard of them. Looked at their website. They deal (they say) in Euro Dobes. Most of their specimens are good looking.

I question how smart it is to name your breeding operation a "farm."

I'll continue to explore their website and see what health testing they do.

I did not see any indication that they work, show or title their Dobes (unless I missed that) which is not the best sign.

Anybody else have any knowledge of them?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mkemp270

Mkemp270 New Member

Also found this one while doing a search, I think I know what the answer will be, but would rather hear the thoughts of people who know more than myself.

Our Puppies