Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Well they have finally arrived!!

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Dogs4Life, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life New Member

Zeus and Zoey have come home!! (I thought Nova was cute but may have been confusing with using "No")

We finally got to bring home the new pups tonight, pictures to come later as I had to hurry and leave. Unfortunately for my wife I had to leave for work and she is at home with them alone. From what she says they have been whining/barking since they went into their cage at bed time. I keep trying to reassure her that it is a new environment for them and their first time in a cage by themselves. She keeps wanting to bring the cages into the bedrooms but I'm hoping she doesn't. It seems the male is the instigator with barking and whining while his sister seems to just go along with the motions.

Anyone have any suggestions how to quiet them down during the night hours or is this just something they will grow out of????

• Like Like x 2
  2. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

:congrats:

They will grow out of it. I did put the kennel in the bedroom until they were comfortable in their new environment. He was much better when there was some sound. I kept the TV on in the bedroom which we normally don't. I ended up playing soft music at a low volume. It helped him. Doesn't mean that all dogs respond in the same way. Some people put a blanket over the crate so they can't see, while others make sure they can be seen as the puppy goes to sleep. What comfort one might have the opposite effect on another.
    I have no experience with more than one puppy at a time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life New Member

Thank you I remember reading another post about someone keeping a radio on for light noise but kinda slipped my mind as we are in the process of packing and moving as well! I guess we will play it out a couple nights and see how they react with being downstairs. Our older dog is down there with them and is already laying right next to the cages. I know at the breeders they were together in the pen but it was out on the front patio, so no real human interaction at bed time.

Thanks again!!

4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad $ Forum Donor $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Congratulations!

It's a very common thing – the whining, barking and yipping when crated. The first night is infamous. I'm embarrassed to share that the first night with our current boy was something for which I wasn't prepared in that I did not take into account our small house and that my wife and child would be needing to sleep. I had no option shy of putting his crate in the car and sleeping in there with him to keep him from waking the household.

If you have a situation where you can crate your pups while allowing the humans to get the sleep they need, then just let those pups cry it out.

It's interesting to me that your pups were crated together prior to your receiving them. My pup and his littermate rode together in a crate to where I met to pick him up. My boy was a terror in the crate for a long time. I'm not sure if there is any connection there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life New Member

Not necessarily crated together but the breeder had all the pups in a pen that they had made out of some sheets of plywood. That is where they were at when we went and looked at them and I'm guessing where the slept at too... but that is just speculation.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life New Member

IMG_1613.JPG Zoey
    IMG_1614.JPG Zeus
    Pirate

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  7. Prushanks

Prushanks Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome home Zeus & Zoey!!! Looking forward to seeing them grow!! How old are Z&Z again? We have little 12 wk old Red boy named Remy and looking forward to watching all the new DCF puppies grow up together!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Max Hawk

Max Hawk Hot Topics Subscriber

It shouldn't take them long..I don't use a crate much..please don't overuse it.. If you make the crate a pleasant place to be though they should even like it and use it as a den. Maybe put toys in during the day and little treats to encourage them to go in ..just leave the door open and only close them in when you need to..The crate is a great tool if you use it the right way.. and CONGRATULATIONS on you new family members. lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life New Member

They are 10 weeks this weekend:hearteyes:

• Like Like x 4
  10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

OMG, you have quite the handful!!! Two new pups and moving? Wow. Do you have children? I have no experience with two pups but there are a few people here on the board that do so I hope you get some useful advice. A lot of folks here crate so if you have questions on that I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers. I got my Buddy when he was 7 months old and already crate trained so I had an easy go of that! :) But having them trained to a crate is very useful, especially with two. It's difficult to get time to yourself with twins (hehehe) so it's a good thing to be able to put them in once in a while, even if it's to go to the basement to get the laundry. Not saying you have it in the basement or even have a basement. lol But you catch my drift! Your two are adorable and it will be fun to watch them grow up here with us! Post lots of pictures and don't hesitate to ask questions or just rant to us. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Adorable pups!

:congrats:

How was the second night with the pups?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  12. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life New Member

I work midnights but the wife said it was better than the first. They start howling when they need to potty, so at least they are waking her up and not soiling their cages.

Still lots of yelping and whining while in the cages but it's a learning process (for us too:help:). Just trying to deal with the nipping and mouthing on everything. Also trying to get our kids to understand they need to be calm around them and not all rambunctious and hyper :woot: . Just ready to be moved into the new house and be able to focus on the pups and teaching!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Ah, that's good to hear. Hopefully as the nights progress they will learn to settle faster.
    You have children, too? Gosh, you both have your hands full :dontpanic: you are a braver soul than I. Lol

Are the children toddlers or a little older? It must be very exciting for them with 2 new pups but I know where you are coming from and children's 'squeals' and them running from the pups will only excite the pups more, it's a difficult one. When they are so young they don’t yet understand and take direction as well as older children.
    I always say provide a safe retreat for the pups, like their crate or an area that is 'off limits' to the children.
    Try to teach the children limits, you can use a soft toy dog or something of that nature. Show them how to responsibly pet it, no tail or ear pulling and no hugging, as it can become dangerous. Practice quiet puppy-talk, explain to them that high-pitched screams will only excite or even scare the pups.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life New Member

8&10 but our youngest boy is 3 so he is the handful right now. Good idea with the stuffed animal, never really thought of that!!! :thumbsup2:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life New Member

IMG_0371.JPG
    All tuckered out after morning fun:sleeping:

• Like Like x 7
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  16. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Awwww how precious

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Member

They look so adorable sleeping! It's the best activity ever! My own little donkey is fast asleep after supervising me washing his dishes and putting his toys away.

Even without the colored blankets I would have guessed the messy one was the boy :D

• Funny Funny x 7
  18. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

They're adorable! Welcome home Zoey and Zeus!

• Like Like x 2
  19. bomary

bomary Hot Topics Subscriber

NO clue how I've missed this!! CONGRATULATIONS!! How exciting!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life New Member

IMG_0358.JPG

Having a little play time in between packing boxes!

Is it better to post full size pictures or thumbnails?...wasn't sure:noob:

• Like Like x 7