• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Weird food habit! Need help

Any update?

I wonder if the vet’s scale may be off by a few pounds...he looks thick to me especially in the shot from above.

You have 2 males? How are they getting along?

I agree; he doesn't look like he's 60lbs if he's 28" tall...

My Dobe went through a phase when she was younger where she would eat a mouthful of food some days and would chow down on both breakfast and dinner other days. She's pretty good at self-regulating. She's a bit over 24" and is around 67lbs at 4 years old. She also does not stand still very long so a good side profile pictures is hard to come by! She still doesn't usually touch breakfast until after mid-day but will eat dinner when she gets it. It's her preference and she's otherwise healthy so we don't think much of it, anymore.

IMG_20190607_180130.jpg

For contrast, my almost 2 year old Lab eats every piece of kibble the moment his bowl is put down. He's 22.5" inches and was just weighed at 78lbs today. So 2" shorter and 11lbs heavier than Rubie; totally different build but still has a defined waist. It's SUPER important for his weight to be on the lower side because of the tendency of labs to have dysplasia. The orthapedic vet said he prefers his dogs to look like they've missed a meal or two. There is a family in our neighborhood who has a lab from the same breeder and he is as tall as Moose, a month older but weighs 90LBS!!! Very unhealthy.
MVIMG_20200101_161229_1-01.jpeg

If everything checks out health wise, it could be that his food preference has changed. I tried about 5 different foods when Rubie went through her picky phase but it didn't really seem to make much difference so chocked it up to her just preferring to eat that way! She definitely eats with more gusto on days we've been more active.

Is it at all possible someone else is feeding him?

We had this issue with a neighbor, who was dumping her dinner scrapes over our back fence cuz she thought we didn't feed our dog enough. We had about seven days of MoMo turning his nose up at all feedings except breakfast....we just happened to catch her dumping stuff over the fence line one evening. :mad:

Hey there!

Not sure which part of the information is off, but it doesn't make sense. My boy is 28" at the withers (where the back changes to neck) and he is 70 lbs. but my boy is quite a bit thinner than yours!

I wonder if you, no offense, are not measuring correctly his height.

His body condition in that overhead shot looks a bit overweight, yes.

But I just remembered your concern is his stopping eating all of the sudden.

How long has it been goin on? It is not at all unusual for dogs to sometimes go off their feed. If you can rule out health problems, just let them get hungry enough to start eating again. If healthy, they won't starve themselves.

Is it at all possible someone else is feeding him?

We had this issue with a neighbor, who was dumping her dinner scrapes over our back fence cuz she thought we didn't feed our dog enough. We had about seven days of MoMo turning his nose up at all feedings except breakfast....we just happened to catch her dumping stuff over the fence line one evening. :mad:

I would be LIVID!!!! :machinegun:

Oh livid on steroids is what I was before my husband talked me out of going to my cowgirl roots and taking her down like a run away calf(hey it's been a few {45ish..LOL}years but I can still head and heel...and tie on the fly!)

My husband talked to her...LOL and told her if it happened again we would be suing her for the nearly 500 bucks we had spent over the seven days making runs to the vet office/blood work and out right mental distress.

MoMo is on phenobarbital for seizures....so needless to say when he started turning his nose up at food.....the panic that set in wasn't on the low side.

DH also put a camera up...pointed right at that part of our fence line...and made a big deal of doing it!

(Sorry to high jack here....but the first thing that came to my mind WAS.....make sure the guy isn't getting food at another source!!)

I am so very sorry to read that..makes my heart hurt for your family.

We have been soooooo lucky with Mo.......he had two grand mall sz three months apart.....can't even find words for how terrifying it was to watch.....the first one...vet did all the S.O.P. of testing...nothing came up...she said it may have been a one off thing...but to keep an eye on him...and man I did...like a hawk....almost three months to the day...he had another one...so back to the vet....and again..thru the testing gauntlet...still no determinations as to what caused them.

He stared the phno 15 months ago...hasn't had another sz (Thank Heaven) and still no clue as to why.

We are no longer in the place where the nitwit fed him......that's a good thing for her sake...more than Mo's!!

Back